CrazyBoards.org

Hey gang,

I stopped taking my Trileptal when I began my birth control. I heard of a potential interaction with the BCP's.

Does anybody take Trileptal with BCP's? What do you think the risk of getting pregnant/ BCP's not working as much?

Thanks in advance.

Oh one more thing: The skin problems that can arise from use of Trileptal,how prevalent are they?

Trileptal will interfere with birth control pills (OCPs). You do need non-hormonal contraception with Trileptal. It reduces the bioavailability of both estradiol and levonorgestrel by a third to half, according to the PI I have right here.

Trileptal and high-dose OCPs might be viable, but I wouldn't bet on it, personally; I assume you do not want to be pregnant, hence the contraceptives. If you are taking them for menstrual regulation, that would be a different story.

Trileptal and "mini-pills" would be a no-no.

There's been discussion of using NuvaRing instead; I would not now recommend that route, either, after reading up on it at some length. Neither does the manufacturer of NuvaRing.

Barrier methods and IUDs would be the way to go, it appears.

Trileptal will interfere with birth control pills (OCPs). You do need non-hormonal contraception with Trileptal. It reduces the bioavailability of both estradiol and levonorgestrel by a third to half, according to the PI I have right here.

Trileptal and high-dose OCPs might be viable, but I wouldn't bet on it, personally; I assume you do not want to be pregnant, hence the contraceptives. If you are taking them for menstrual regulation, that would be a different story.

Trileptal and "mini-pills" would be a no-no.

There's been discussion of using NuvaRing instead; I would not now recommend that route, either, after reading up on it at some length. Neither does the [link=http://smpc.organon.com/images/smpcnuvaring.pdf" target="_blank]manufacturer [/link]of NuvaRing.

Barrier methods and IUDs would be the way to go, it appears.

Wow. Great information. Thanks.

I am actually on a Lo-Dose BCP.

Looks like I will be staying away from Trileptal!

Believe it or not I am doing pretty well without it.

Archived