CrazyBoards.org

how do you know if it's ptsd?

I guess until you do remember something (if there is something there to remember) don't worry so much about knowing for sure. Worry more about treating the symptoms. It's hard to give advice without knowing what those signs of abuse are... But you don't know for sure so I assume it's some kind of mental anguish you're going through?

• 2 weeks later...

I think Bimbo is right. You treat the symptoms. For a very long time I could not remember my past, especially my childhood. That was in my early twenties. Now Im in my late thirties and with a lot of alanon, tons of meetings, therapy, and good psychiatry, I can remember what I am supposed to for sure. I still have one flashback experience that happened to me at work when I touched a female patient. (I am a chiropractor) I got extrememly upset, shaking, trembling, and left the building crying. I still have no speciific experience relating to the event, but whats more important is that I trust that it happened to me, and it was validly disturbing to me, so there has got to be something to it, even though I do not know the particulars of what happened. MAybe someday it will come if it is meant to. I do not work anymore because of my illnesses, I cannot stand others in my personal space . I had physical abuse from my mom, and sexual abuse from others.

I love this forum, thank you everyone.

Good Luck.

Archived