CrazyBoards.org

Hi All,

Before I got pregnant (2001), I had a dx of MDD with GAD and a touch of OCD. In the year before I got pregnant, I was all over the place mentally. I can remember having daily panic attacks for about a month, refusing to leave the house and being depressed. Then I got pregnant in Dec 2001. Happy, happy, joy, joy...right?? No. I was a depressed hermit. By my 5th month I felt much better. I actually felt serene. Until I was dx with gestational diabetes in my 7th month requiring thrice daily insulin injections. I was still fairly happy and my son was born in Aug 2002. I had five days of sheer happiness...then the bottom dropped out. I was terrified all the time, I referred to it as "rolling panic attacks". I cried, I didn't want to be near my son (which was difficult b/c I was breastfeeding). I started hearing and seeing things.

I couldn't take anything stronger than an AD b/c I was bfeeding. So I went for 9 mos with no mood stabilizer or anti-anxiety med. Meanwhile, my dx was changed to pregnancy induced BPII (I have a family full of folks with BP, so this wasn't a big surprise).

Once my period started again (also about 9 months after birth), the real trouble started. I started to mood journal and noticed that, starting at ovulation, I began to cycle from hypomania (4-5 days) to anxiety (2-3 days) to depression (5-7 days). As soon as my period starts, I feel better. So my pdoc started throwing mood stabilizers at me along with AAPs. Nothing interrupted the cycle. This has gone on for nearly six years. I've tried every kind of birth control (Yaz, Seasonale, blah, blah, blah) to no avail. I switched pdocs last year and have experienced a bit of improvement through the use of varying doses of Provigil and a benzo. But I'm still considered an ultra-rapid cycler (not nearly as glamourous as it sounds).

I've had complete blood panels done (no thyroid problems). I also have diabetes II and obstructive sleep apnea, but both are under control.

One of my failings is that I CANNOT make myself exercise. I know it would be good for me, I just can't seem to break through that barrier.

Anyhoo, anybody else out there with this problem or one like it? I'd love to hear about other experiences.

Thanks and peace,

Phoenix

I have BPI and PMDD. It can be an awful struggle, and there is very little information in mainstream medicine that is of help. You can find many old posts on this site documenting my struggles with this.

I tried various meds for it, including BCpills. I actually stopped my period for a year using BCpills, so menstrual suppression is an option. I eventually went off the pill because I began to feel strange about taking it every day. There are benefits to being pre-menstrual (hightened sensitivity, creativity, mental acuity) and I wanted to experience that.

These days, I have it more or less under control. I take an omega 3-6-9 blend, a multivitamin, and calcium supplements. And I walk/run. Exercise has made an enormous improvement in my mood.

I have BPI and PMDD. It can be an awful struggle, and there is very little information in mainstream medicine that is of help. You can find many old posts on this site documenting my struggles with this.

I tried various meds for it, including BCpills. I actually stopped my period for a year using BCpills, so menstrual suppression is an option. I eventually went off the pill because I began to feel strange about taking it every day. There are benefits to being pre-menstrual (hightened sensitivity, creativity, mental acuity) and I wanted to experience that.

These days, I have it more or less under control. I take an omega 3-6-9 blend, a multivitamin, and calcium supplements. And I walk/run. Exercise has made an enormous improvement in my mood.

Hey Mad Genius,

Thanks for the suggestion to search previous threads. I am embarrassed at my difficulties in starting an exercise program as I've heard exercise is a great help in minimizing symptoms.

Thanks,

Phoenix

Why do you feel you can't get started exercising?

I don't know.

Its the biggest block I've had in years.

Perhaps its a fear of commitment...although that sounds like bullsh*t to me.

Maybe I'm just physically lazy.

I do get seriously skeeved when I think about working out in front of other people.

I have every reason in the world to exercise, yet I don't.

Suggestions?

Archived