CrazyBoards.org

Pristiq (what a STUPID name), and alcohol

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pristiq is a stupid name. can you believe they pay people to come up with these names? abilify is still my favorite name.

i've not been on pristiq, only it's, uh, sibling med, effexor. i could drink on effexor. actually, i was one of those people what drank a lot on effexor, it seems to make some people drink excessively, though it's not a listed side effect.

pristiq goes through your liver, and so does alcohol, always remember that. and remember that you need your liver.

drinking on meds like pristiq is usually a YMMV thing. take it slow. and be honest with your doctor. i flat-out asked my doctor if i could drink on my meds, and he said one or two was fine. doctors can be honest and not just spurt out the PI sheet answer.

• 10 months later...
Guest MrBurnz

I just started Pristiq last week, I drank last night and it didnt go so well. we were playing some drinking games with some friends and after about 5 beers I got extremely tired. I looked like an idiot and my friends thought I took some illicit drugs or sumthin. I laid down on the couch and passed out for like a half hour. Then I woke up, left the party and smoked a blunt, (i kno, i kno proby not smart to mix shit like that). But after i smoked I felt awesome. I was on effexor for a year prior to this and I was able to drink a lot with no side effects. I kno ur not suposed to drink on em but I had just turned 21 and its hard to get away from drugs and alcohol when ur 21.

Again, it's hard to predict how your body will react to combining antidepressants and alcohol. I could drink on Effexor, Pristiq's older brother, though I never pushed my luck too far. When my sister was taking Effexor, drinking alcohol made her extremely irritable. (Effexor itself made her irritable, too, but alcohol made it worse.)

If you're going to experiment, I'd recommend doing so under controlled conditions, especially at first.

Again, it's hard to predict how your body will react to combining antidepressants and alcohol. I could drink on Effexor, Pristiq's older brother, though I never pushed my luck too far. When my sister was taking Effexor, drinking alcohol made her extremely irritable. (Effexor itself made her irritable, too, but alcohol made it worse.)

If you're going to experiment, I'd recommend doing so under controlled conditions, especially at first.

Pristiq is not so much metabolized by the liver as it's predecesor, Effexor. That's why they gave it a new name, and thus presented it as a "new game". I take Pristiq, and have not one iota of a problem in drinking IN MODERATION! I am well aware of the issues that could evolve around this both mentally and physically, so please, no preaching. If my pdoc says I can drink moderately, I'll probably continue to do so till I die from liver disease or whatever takes me outta this world.

I'll also add that I have been taking a small amount of benzos daily(prescibed) for about a decade, and this causes me more concern with alchohol than any AD every prescribed!

What's in it for you? Know yourself. Self-advocate by discussing this with your pdoc.

Deepster

Hi guys!

I've been on pristiq for 9 months. Started on 50mg, upped to 100mg two months ago. Once I've been on the 100mg dose I realized I do NOT do as well on alcohol as before. I can handle wine, but vodka makes me act like a gin-soaked meanie.

Just watch out on it.

pristiq is a stupid name. can you believe they pay people to come up with these names? abilify is still my favorite name.

pristiq IS a stupid name. it almost makes me never want to take it. the funniest one i saw was a bladder control medicine called enablex.

• 2 months later...

I've been on pristiq for just a little over 2 weeks now, and I had horrible side effects the first week. I was completely loopy, spinning rooms, nausea, the whole bit. I drink only occasionally, maybe once or twice a month (I'm only 16) but today I was at my boyfriend's sisters and had a couple of vodkas, and although my buzz wore off hours ago as I'm writing this I feel like I'm floating and the room is moving like a water bed. I don't recommend drinking on pristiq, though I'm sure this isn't the same reaction for everyone.

pristiq IS a stupid name. it almost makes me never want to take it. the funniest one i saw was a bladder control medicine called enablex.

If you think Pristiq is a stupid name, check out the new combo of Topamax and Pentermine: Qnexa. I just imagine how many bong hits it took to come up with that.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha I was just thinking before about how I won't try Pristiq because of it's dumb ass name. I used to take Effexor which is basically the same thing and I could drink, but it made me a lightweight. I would get drunk faster. Pristiq is probably the same.

• 2 months later...

About to start Pristiq...there's lots of neg. about it, but some great tales, too. My Zoloft, after 10 years, just isn't doing it anymore...however, I could have my wine while on it. Anyone been on Pristiq long enough to know if some wine will make you loopy, or sick?

Thanks.

I wasn't drinking when I started on 50mg Pristiq a year ago. A week ago I started drinking again, and immediately noticed my resistence to alcohol was VERY low. One other thing has happened - my blood pressure has shot up. I just checked it with a home monitor, and it read 170/90. Going to call my doctor tomorrow, and I'm definitely not going to drink again while on it. Anybody else had blood pressure rise as a side effect of Pristiq and alcohol together? This is scary.

I've been on pristiq for 9 months. Started on 50mg, upped to 100mg two months ago. Once I've been on the 100mg dose I realized I do NOT do as well on alcohol as before. I can handle wine, but vodka makes me act like a gin-soaked meanie.

Funny, I can handle gin just fine, but wine makes me act like a vodka-soaked meanie.;)

And yes, it is a stupid name. Almost as stupid as the Australian name for Ambien, Stilnox. Still noctes. Yeah, right - I sleepwalk and do all sorts of crazy shit on it.

I wasn't drinking when I started on 50mg Pristiq a year ago. A week ago I started drinking again, and immediately noticed my resistence to alcohol was VERY low. One other thing has happened - my blood pressure has shot up. I just checked it with a home monitor, and it read 170/90. Going to call my doctor tomorrow, and I'm definitely not going to drink again while on it. Anybody else had blood pressure rise as a side effect of Pristiq and alcohol together? This is scary.

Just got back from my doctor's office. They said that the rise in BP could very well be an interaction between Pristiq and alcohol. They also said my blood pressure was high to begin with, and put me on a beta blocker - 5mg Bystolic (another brilliant name.)

Hi All,

I have never taken Pristiq, but was on Effexor a number of years ago. Or maybe that was Lexepro? Anywho, I wanted to comment on the funny name. How about ACIPHEX? I almost didn't believe it at first.

~wp

• 2 months later...
Guest garrett

On Pristiq for about 6 months. Contrary to most people, I find I drink MORE and can drink several drinks with no effect. I have always liked having a beer or two in the evening with dinner and TV. Now, if I don't just stop, I can find myself sucking down 4-5 beers with no problem. It's almost like the Pristiq has given me an unquenchable thirst for beer. AND, I never even feel buzzed, much less drunk. Actually, I'd enjoy the ability to get tore up every now and again.

Just got back from my doctor's office. They said that the rise in BP could very well be an interaction between Pristiq and alcohol. They also said my blood pressure was high to begin with, and put me on a beta blocker - 5mg Bystolic (another brilliant name.)

My blood pressure went up 10 points just from taking Effexor - no alcohol. I think it's probably just the Pristiq that's doing it.

Archived