CrazyBoards.org

SSRI's cause movement disorders?

hello! i have constantly been battling this inner restlessness for years. mostly being on Lithium and Lexapro.

i am trying so hard not to change my lithium.

so, i am looking at the lexapro and found this:

http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/ssricme1.html

it says not so much a problem on lexapro.

i would just love to know what you all have heard. i will gladly change the lexapro if i find enough evidence.

thank you for you help!

have a great day!

kathy

All of the SSRIs can cause akathisia. It's rather rare with lithium, though I'm sure there are case reports out there.

This website doesn't strike me as a very credible source, even if he makes a point of not claiming to be "superior, smarter, or more skilled." (What is a "Medication Invention?")

Lexapro hasn't been out all that long, compared to the other SSRIs. When did your "inner restlessness" start, and when did the Lexapro start?

Akathisia is somewhat more than "inner restlessness," but that sensation of inner agitation and restlessness is not all that uncommon in folks with manic-depressive illness. Contrary to his statements, the motor activity is a part of the akathisia package. My personal experience is that akathisia is not something one could live with for years upon years; I recall thinking seriously about paralytic agents or restraints so that I would just stop moving long enough to ride to the ER.

cool silver, thanks!

yeah, don't know about the credibility of that site. i read a few other sites. says its a possibility. just wondering the truth.

i have been feeling like i cannot sit in one place. i cannot wait on people, i get impatient. just no concentration whatsoever. not even comfortable when watching tv, laying down-feel the urge to jump up and do something. must move around! oh, my feet are constantly moving.

last few years are a blur and i cannot pinpoint when it started and what meds i tried at the time. damn, would be nice.

i am going to the pdoc on thursday. would love all the info i can get!

thank you,

kathy

My personal experience is that akathisia is not something one could live with for years upon years; I recall thinking seriously about paralytic agents or restraints so that I would just stop moving long enough to ride to the ER.

I nearly chewed through a rolled-up handkerchief (and was considering rope) just trying to sit in one place, before finding something that would let me get some sleep.

"years and years" == not an option, nope, no way Jose'...

oh! is there a medication that causes the least amount of akathisia?

what about cymbalta?

thank you!

I have been on Cymbalta for 11 days now with no wigginess. No restlessness, thank GOODNESS!!!!! I hope something like that works for YOU! Good luck!

I've experienced Akathisia (or something like it) from both SSRIs and Haldol. On SSRIs I bounce my leg up and down live a jackhammer but only notice when someone tells me to stop shaking the couch. I stop for a few minutes and then when I'm not longer paying attention start again. On Haldol I wanted to fucking cut my legs off so I could sleep. It was only a problem in bed but it was absolutely maddening.

The subjective experience is nothing alike.

My personal experience is that akathisia is not something one could live with for years upon years; I recall thinking seriously about paralytic agents or restraints so that I would just stop moving long enough to ride to the ER.

urgh i wish i didn't understand that.

i've only ever felt it when taking ssris/snris.

i had no idea at the time what was causing it.

but it sure caused me to do a lot of fucked up things in pursuit of making it GO AWAY.

yeah - not something someone could live with for an extended period of time before doing something that would get one sectioned... unless i just have less tolerance for it or something...

hmmm....definitely gotten close to the insane thing. maybe just a milder form?

my legs bounce up and down so much that at work i was shaking the whole console, computer and all. the guy beside me kept having to tell me to stop. and i do it in the car. parents tell me to stop shaking all the time (whole car shook!)

it has been about 3 years and i have been miserable!

soooo, maybe same thing, lesser degree, but still driving me crazy?

thanks so much for your replies! info much needed.

kathy

I have the leg bouncing problem too. My pdoc thinks it is from my Abilify. My legs really get going when I'm driving to work until I get there and take my Cogentin (I can't drive very well when I take Cogentin -- have to wait about 4 hours first). Once I take the Cogentin, the leg bouncing stops pretty quick, but I spend the whole day turning back and forth in my office chair.

Tommy

hello again. thanks for taking time out to reply!

RLS? it really consumes my whole body. like an energy that got trapped inside. feels like i could just pop a hole into my skin to release it.

that, and eps, are the reasons that i stopped taking any AAP's. it did not make it go away. those were just the lithium and lexapro years.

recently added invega, but it is too soon to tell anything. it is not affecting it good or bad at this point.

anemia - i think i have been millions of times for everything twice! nothing like that came up.

it couldn't be some mild (if that exists) form of tardive dys...?

oh, could you tell me more about how bp itself causes this? been dx'd 5 yrs, problem=3 years.

have a beautiful day!

kathy

RLS? it really consumes my whole body. like an energy that got trapped inside. feels like i could just pop a hole into my skin to release it.
OK, that sounds more like akathisia.

When I referred to the bipolar/restlessness/gotta DO something, I meant as a manifestation of mixed/manic state (or agitated depression, if you think of that as different from mixed, which I really don't... ANYway.) When I'm out one end or the other, I tend to get very fidgety/restless/must move right now / 'energy swarming inside me' feelings.

EPS are technically possible with lithium, although they're generally limited to high-dose drug, and they're not all that common - more common as facial movements than anything else, IIRC.

Still, if it was one of those two rx, seems like it would make sense to try altering the Lexapro first, as you don't want to mess with your lithium.

Sometimes Benadryl/Cogentin will help with akathisia/TD, sometimes not.

Sorry for the incoherent/disjointed nature of this post. No caffeine in the office = scattered Silver.

Guest Guest_Chris_*

Kathy:

We all have such different reactions to these drugs. It's annoying. I took Lexapro at a pretty high dose (40mg) for a year and didn't notice anything. It didn't help me. It didn't have any real side effects. I gained a little weight. But it did nothing for my anxiety and depression. And no "inner restlessness." I did get that on Prozac and Celexa though. Just my two cents.

Chris

hello! i have constantly been battling this inner restlessness for years. mostly being on Lithium and Lexapro.

i am trying so hard not to change my lithium.

so, i am looking at the lexapro and found this:

[link=http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/ssricme1.html"'>http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/ssricme1.html" target="_blank]http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/ssricme1.html[/link]

it says not so much a problem on lexapro.

i would just love to know what you all have heard. i will gladly change the lexapro if i find enough evidence.

thank you for you help!

have a great day!

kathy

OK, that sounds more like akathisia.

"about to crawl out of my own skin" seems to be the most common description (Well, usually there are more expletives in the description...)

I do the leg bouncing, finger drumming/tapping, etc. thing quite a bit, but that's likely tied to the ADHD.

Sorry for the incoherent/disjointed nature of this post. No caffeine in the office = scattered Silver.

Decaf is banned from our breakroom.

I've been complaining for YEARS to my pdoc/tdoc that I get this feeling like I could crawl out of my skin...even a feeling that my skins was burning..crawling(not quite sure how to relate that one..but it's a TERRIBLE feeling...).

Never once did either of them tell me that's a "normal" feeling for bi-polars...I just thought I was losing it!!! ;)

ugh...I'm VERY glad I found crazyboards....

They're different things for me, at least.

The swarming under-the-skin energy of hypo/mania is quite different from the feeling that took me to the ER (Zoloft? I can't remember. It was an SSRI without a mood stabilizer on board.) That seething-radiant sensation is very specific to elevated states for me.

I wish I could say it was a prodrome, but it's usually just a sign that I've been an incredible jackass for a few weeks.

Let's see, I get first the brain squirrels (worse), then the dopamine fizzies, then the seething-energy sensation. If that makes sense to anyone... I'm really sorry.

The feeling that drove me to the ER was this need to move or else, similar to someone with bad claustrophobia stuck in an airplane bathroom, with no anxiety underlying it (only anxiety about what the hell was going on.)

Null, where I work part-time is officially too broke to buy coffee for the staff room now, so it's been a rambly month for us all. False economy, IMO. I just bought 5# of decent Sumatran from our local roaster to take in on Friday, because I can't deal with everyone in the office being similarly understimulated, and I'm probably not supposed to just slip Adderall in the water pitchers (although I continue to think a lithium lick in the hall would help a lot.) I work with a bunch of people who make Dalmatians look mentally organized. Take away their xanthine and they're a grim bunch indeed. One sign would be that ALL the dark chocolate in our sub-office was scarfed up on Tuesday by people who were "just stopping by to say hi."

Archived