CrazyBoards.org

Insomnia from Lamictal?

Guest zr0sleep

Guest zr0sleep

Ever since starting Lamictal (50mg) three weeks ago, I haven't slept more than four hours in a night. I split-dose at 8am and 8pm. Trazodone (150mg) has totally stopped working -- even when I double-dose to 300mg! Do I need a stronger sleep med? I find Lamictal very activating...I know its half-life is about 12 hours but would I be okay taking it at 8am and, say, 3 or 4pm instead of before bed? That's when I take my Klonopin (4mg split dose) because Abilify (10mg) gives me akathesia. The akathesia also keeps me awake, of course, so my doc switched that to mornings. I don't want to go off of the Lamictal because I find it very helpful but I'm utterly exhausted. Plus I'm on such a low dose that I'm sure my doc will want to double it. Will I ever sleep again? Anyone else experiencing insomnia on a similar cocktail?

Yay! I'm glad to see you here.

I'm not sure if Lamictal made my insomnia worse or not, as I've always had insomnia. I have stopped taken Lamictal col turkey now (stupid I know), so I guess I'll see if I start sleeping better.

ETA: Stopping Lamictal cold turkey was a HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake. I don't recommend it to anyone.

I take all of mine in the morning

Yay! I'm glad to see you here.

I'm not sure if Lamictal made my insomnia worse or not, as I've always had insomnia. I have stopped taken Lamictal col turkey now (stupid I know), so I guess I'll see if I start sleeping better.

ETA: Stopping Lamictal cold turkey was a HUGE HUGE HUGE mistake. I don't recommend it to anyone.

I take all of mine in the morning

me too. i don't know if it's actually stimulating for me, but it doesn't make me (more) tired, so i just take everything in the morning (except the split doses of clonazepam).

most people i've talked to take their lamictal at night - the pdoc first suggested that to me, but i messed up once and had to take it in the morning and nothing bad happened... so i just kept going that way (easier to remember if all four meds and two supplements are in the same lil pill container).

I take my Lamictal at bedtime; it doesn't seem activating for me at all, but then again, I take 30 mg. Restoril and .5 mg. Klonopin along with it so that may be the only reason it doesn't keep me awake.

Tommy

Archived