CrazyBoards.org

Zyban/Wellbutrin/Bupropion

Hi there. My doctor just prescribed me Zyban-SR 150mg twice daily. He prescribed it to help me quit smoking but I also have depression, ADD and perhaps a bit of meth withdrawal left. I think it might help those conditions, also. I'd like to hear about any experiences or opinions on bupropion. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'd also be interested to hear how it might affect my anxiety and insomnia.

I can only speak to anxiety and insomnia (and depression)...

Well, it works well enough for my depression. It was added to an SSRI.

Unfortunately, the anxiety and insomnia are likely to get worse, at least initially. Wellbutrin (I'll call it that) generally isn't a good anxiety med. Of course there are exceptions to this rule.

I personally hated my first weak or two on Wellbutrin because it made it really hard to fall asleep (more so than usual), but this problem went away. It not exactly treating my "normal" sleeping difficulties, but it's not adding to them. It may actually have slightly decreased my need for sleep.

I can often actually get up in the morning without wishing that I could sleep another 3-4 hours. (I sleep about 7.5 - 8 hours a night.)

I take bupropion and started taking it when I had a breakthrough depression phase (I'm bipolar II). In my signature it says how much of I take it, I can't' offhand remember, anyhow, with this new huge depression it didn't do a damn thing. My Dr. explained to me that it was the more mild of the anti-depressants, so he's got me on that and now Cymbalta. But before I hit this skull crushing depression I had no complaints with it at all.

Hi there. My doctor just prescribed me Zyban-SR 150mg twice daily. He prescribed it to help me quit smoking but I also have depression, ADD and perhaps a bit of meth withdrawal left. I think it might help those conditions, also. I'd like to hear about any experiences or opinions on bupropion. Thanks in advance.

As an ADHD med, it's kind of "meh" in general but good for productivity and helping a person be less of a button-pushing jerk.

P.S. I'd also be interested to hear how it might affect my anxiety and insomnia.

It depends. Some people end up taking klonopin because of anxiety while on bupropion/Zyban/Wellbutrin, but it can work well enough as an antidepressant to be worth that effort.

For a good example that everyone is differerent: I find it to be great for ADHD. I am practically symptom free. I'm calm, have almost 0 temper tantrums and a lot less easily frustrated.

For depression, I'm not so sure how I feel. It does part of the job, but I wish it could be "the magic pill" that some people find. Since I've shown mild serotonin shock in the past, this is what I have to work with, so I'm lucky there is something. And to be fair, I will say that sometimes things are just peachy. But if something rough is happening in life, I drink and eliminate the helpfulness of the pill.

The great thing about Wellbutrin is that I have 0, yes 0!! side effects. Yay! A little headache the first few days and that was it.

I find 150 XL to be the best form of it, but most take 300. I don't know about the insomnia because I take Ambien.

Good luck!!

Archived