CrazyBoards.org

Strattera questions

Doesn't anyone have anyy experiences to share about Stratterra?? btw- I am on day 3 and I love it. It hasn't done anything drastic yet- I'm only taking 25mg for the first week, but it gives me a good feeling in the head- hard to explain, but it makes me feel calm and happy. mel

Doesn't anyone have anyy experiences to share about Stratterra?? btw- I am on day 3 and I love it. It hasn't done anything drastic yet- I'm only taking 25mg for the first week, but it gives me a good feeling in the head- hard to explain, but it makes me feel calm and happy. mel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am currently taling 54 mg of concerta befor work. I am considering a swithch to Stratera. Please share your experiance

It worked great for me for a few months at 80mgs and then just quit.  After that I tried doses from 40 to 120 mgs and nothing worked. 

A side effect to watch out for is constipation, which can be extreme.  You might want to modify your diet to help prevent this.

• 2 weeks later...

I just dropped this med.  When I increased to 40mg the side effects I was already experiencing became completely unmanageable (namely nausea, loss of appetite, sleep disruption) and my mood destabilized considerably.  I am also bipolar though and this is an SNRI so for me, it was a possible risk--I don't do well with antidepressants.

I'm glad it seems to be working well for you though.  I wish you continued success!

Karen

Hello,

I tried Strattera and didn't like it. I was hoping it would be a switch from taking adderall or concerta. I just couldn't deal with the side effects. I felt weird and aggitated. I had severe constipation and had a hard time falling asleep. I would wake too early and had trouble getting back to sleep. I found it to be one of the hardest meds for me to tolerate. I have bipolar disorder and wasn't really getting treated for it at the time when i was at school. We were trying to just "fix" the ADD. later i found out i had bipolar disorder. good luck. matt

Hi,

I tried Strattera last year, hoping it would help replace my pooping out Wellbutrin.  Unfortunately, the GI side-effects were way too much for me.  I wound up throwing up nearly every day.  I honestly couldn't tell if it was having any theraputic impact because I was too nauseous to care.

But extreme side effects like mine are not super common, and for those for whom Strattera works, I understand that it often really works well. So my fingers are crossed for you, and if you're tolerating the side-fx now, things can probably only get better.

L,

Shelley

For what its worth (i know, Im late on this...)

Strattera is the only AD Ive been able to tolerate without going manic. And it's OK for my ADD...Im total spazzket case between being naturally ADHHHHHD and being on loads of anticonvulsants-but I can focus somewhat.

I have only had one depressive episode since being on it, which is good, and have had very mild side effects.

Kassiane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it:

I've never heard of anyone else getting as blunted as I got on the last few days of Strattera.

StrungOutOnLife

*who should have done this ages ago*

Strattera has made me go from being mostly stable to being stable. PMS is coming up next week, I'll have to see how that goes, cause I get it pretty bad. Is it true that it makes you blleeed alot? I have not had any bad side effects. I am focusing much better, ,which is really helpful at work. mel

I've just received my trial membership to the Strattera Club.  Two rare sample boxes (18 and 25mg), handed over like holy relics, now inhabit my meds cupboard.  What might it do for my ADD?  Only time will tell. 

What kind of dosing schedule do you follow?  I'm not sure when it would be best to take this, and my psychiatrist was perhaps excessively general.  I'm not the most together patient when it comes to asking multitopic questions.  I must improve.  Also, has anyone experienced any negative drug interactions with the Strattera?  There's quite a list of meds to look out for on the main page, including one I've been taking for a while.  My pdoc knows I'm on it because of the cautious lithium titration it entailed, so I presume it's not a problem, but he seems quite cavalier about such things. 

Maybe this is more a "complain about my psychiatrist" thread.  I apologize. 

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it:

I've never heard of anyone else getting as blunted as I got on the last few days of Strattera.

StrungOutOnLife

'Blunted' as in anhedonic, drained of all positive affect, total disinterest in the few things that are of interest to me?

That was me too.

'Blunted' as in anhedonic, drained of all positive affect, total disinterest in the few things that are of interest to me?

That was me too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, yeah. And I could hardly imagine what it was like to be my old self, except knowing that, say, fear involves painful abdominal contractions, which I tried and failed to duplicate voluntarily, making my toes curl up instead.

I find it amazing how many emotion-like behaviors I retained, in spite of the fact that they know longer meant anything. Like cursing because I had exposed a piece of photo paper prematurely, all the while wondering why anyone ever cared about such things.

This went away after a couple months on Adderall XR (it was prescribed for ADHD that had become completely, totally, and utterly resistant to 108 mg of Concerta a day, but I can appreciate good photography now, and sometimes music).

Guest Llamanator

I don't think I have ever been stupider on a med than I was on Strattera. The only one that might come close is Mellaril or Trileptal.

Really. Fucking. Stupid. Waaaay more ADHD, too. I started on 10mg. Ended on 40mg. Even adding l-tyrosine. Especially adding l-tyrosine. I was sucidally depressed without the l-tyrosine on it, though...

I got the emotional blunting thing on Wellbutrin. Don't care that you don't care.

*Whatever. I'm going to sleep now.*

Mimi

Day twelve on Strattera.  Apparent side effects:  flatulence and shit me a river.  Also blah.  Very blah.  Deeply blah.  And tired.  I've fallen asleep at work twice these past four days, and I work in a fast food place.  No sitting!  Ugh.  In addition, my pre-school anxiety attacks are trampling my coping strategies, I'm sick of everything, I don't understand the point of trying or doing anything.  Why bother?  Really, WHY?  And I think I fired my therapist this afternoon for not knowing the meaning of life. 

Yeeeah.  Since a number of these things might be attributable to the Strattera, I'm hoping my psychiatrist doesn't try to nudge me up to 40 on Friday.  *sigh*

Okay, the blah-ness seems to be under control if I practice all my cognitive behavioral control techniques and don't look at anything too closely.  Same for anxiety.  Exhaustion & GI stuff:  both still present.  I have another 3 weeks of samples at 25mg to see if I can stop introducing myself as Enrico Pollini.  I have fingers crossed for good things... preferably before midterms. 

Today was my last dose. I read on the Strattera.com site that sied effects include mentrual cramping...NOW I decided to check after 3 friggen months of extreme cramping the first day of my TOM...last month I passed out cold on the kitchen floor. Gee 3 months is also how long I have been on Straterra too...coincidince? I think not.  I have also become very dull...I guess the word is blunted.  Strted back to school (the reason I took the drug in the first place) and dropped back out after one week...can't seem to find a reason for going anymore...questioning my purpose on earth...feel like a cat...eat. and sleep...sex is still good though:)  Anyone know how long it takes for it to leave your system?  I was taking 80mg for the past few months.  Did not work..I had trouble just playing bingo last night...such a confusing game...LOL  damn those drugs...but I can't seem to live without them..

regular cocktail consists of 80mg Geodon, 50 mg Seroquel, 1500 mg Glucophage, variying doses of Synthroid and my trusty one-a-day vitamin..washed down with a glass of Citrucel...yum yum

would list my PRN's but I am too lazy to go get the bag full and I don't remember all their names...so i will add that one is anti spasmolitic, an anti anxiety, an anti-diahreal, an anti tummy cramping thingamabob, and a migraine med:)

Glitchie

Archived