CrazyBoards.org

I am new!

So, once upon a manic trip I found this place. Let me start by saying, my enthusiasm in this post, and possible later posts in the day dont really reflect how I act on a normal basis. I am having a rare mild manic episode.

Where to start. I have been diagnosed with (in the past): Bipolar II, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Dissociative defenses/traits, Major Depression, and ADD. I am currently diagnosed with (for sure) Bipolar II and ADD, and then some. I was diagnosed when I was about 12, and have been on and off of medication since. Roughly, what I've compiled so far (which is missing some things), of the medication I've been on is this: Effexor XR, Paxil, Prozac, Remeron, Trazodone, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zoloft, Elavil, Gabitril, Lamictal, Neurontin, Seroquel and Concerta. Four of these (concerta, seroquel, wellbutrin xl and prozac) I'm supposed to be on, but have stopped taking some months ago.

The thing that has suffered the most damage in my life, aside from myself, is my schooling. I've pretty much fucked that to high hell. 8th grade and on, my attendance/motivation/things associated has pretty much continually been diminishing at an increasing pace, to where I am now. Which is, pretty much dropping out of school.

So, that is it. I wasnt sure what to say, so thats what I've put. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I look forward to posting here, and such. I'll probably post one of them bio things soon enough.

Welcome RE,

I happened to find this place in a fit of depression.  It's nice here, people are strange and supportive.  And you can go off the deep end and no one freaks out or judges you. 

Here, you can sit by me.  *pat*

JBella

Can you share if you were on meds from age 12 or not? I'm having one heck of a time convincing 11 yr old and myself the reasons why Zoloft will help him out of his OCD rituals.

Yep, I'm almost certain that at age twelve, my first medication was Prozac. My mother had been pressuring me to see a counselor, since she is bipolar as well. I saw a psychologist once and he said I had depression, put me on prozac, I saw him once after and then went to my family doctor for refills and such. I didn't know what else to do.

Its really nice to find a place on the internet where all the other crazies conversate. Thanks for all the support!

• 3 weeks later...

hiya rifleyes,

i have major depression, general anxiety and a dash of OCD and am on effexor and seroquel. i have suffered my probs for most of my life.

so what about other therapy? you mentioned seeing a psychologist once when you were twelve and then just getting prescriptions from your gp. and you list an impressive list of meds that you've been on. is there also an impressive list of therapies that you've been through?

i am a firm believer that just taking meds won't fix most peoples' problems. there are people for whom meds are all that is required for certain, but i'm pretty sure they are the minority. whether you have issues that need to be discussed with a therapist, or important life skills that you need to learn in a group, therapy is where you learn about yourself. and to my thinking, that is the way to a better future. yes, meds are critical, there's NO doubt there in my mind. but the meds don't teach you anything, they just, ideally, straighten out your brain. and i would think there is a lot you could learn about yourself and your illnesses. learn about your problems, and then learn about your strengths and weaknesses as a person. then you can use your strengths to help yourself when problems with your illnesses or maybe your own weaknesses come into play. and if you're lucky, maybe what you'll interpret as weaknesses in yourself can become strengths.

for me it was sensitivity. i am a hyper-sensitive person, easily bothered by some things, people and situations. i always knew that i was senstitive, but i didn't really see a pattern. but through therapy i became more self-aware so that i am able to avoid or prepare for such scenarios, making them MUCH better to deal with. and also, i've found that my sensitivity plays a big part in my being a compassionate person. i am more easily able to put myself in another person's shoes to imagine how they feel. that can be a very useful skill. so in that way a weakness i have actually became not only much more manageable in day to day life, but even became a strength. a real strength.

take care and welcome home to crazymeds.

grouse.

Archived