CrazyBoards.org

Wellbutrin question

OK, to put it quick and simple, I have the worlds worse case iof IBS, like every day of my life. Now--Here's the question.Can Wellbutri XL pass thru your entire digestive track, shall we say, rather untouched-/undissolved/still in tablet form? 

Cause I think thats what's happening to me.  Possibly because nothing stays in me long enough to get dissolved or whatever, but is this possible? I really need to know , folks, otherwise, I am flushing big bucks down the jon and still feeling like shit (no pun intended)  I can't get to the PI sheet because of my shitty comuter and my PDR is at work.  But does anyone know?  And can tell me NOW??

Please help--opps, back to the jon--love, china

OK, to put it quick and simple, I have the worlds worse case iof IBS, like every day of my life. Now--Here's the question.Can Wellbutri XL pass thru your entire digestive track, shall we say, rather untouched-/undissolved/still in tablet form? 

Cause I think thats what's happening to me.  Possibly because nothing stays in me long enough to get dissolved or whatever, but is this possible? I really need to know , folks, otherwise, I am flushing big bucks down the jon and still feeling like shit (no pun intended)  I can't get to the PI sheet because of my shitty comuter and my PDR is at work.  But does anyone know?  And can tell me NOW??

Please help--opps, back to the jon--love, china

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't see anything like that on the PI sheet. I hear that severe diarrhea can lead to passing of undigested food, though. It's short, it's not a pdf, and you should be able to read it if you were able to post here.

I go through bouts of IBS (D-type) and it was EXTREMELY aggrivated by wellbutrin. (OK THIS IS REALLY GROSS) I did see the pill come out the other end. I think the medication absorbed though because I became very anxious/agitated and the like. I couldn't keep anything in me while I was on it, and with the added anxiety, we had to drop it. On a different note, caltrate (a calcium supplement) has helped control my D alot. Also, I found www.ibsgroup.org a great help, there is a pretty good forum on there that I've found lots of help from. Zyprexa has also helped calm things down quite a bit, if not get rid of my symptoms completely. My IBS seems to be majorly stress related though, don't know about yours.

I have heard that even people with "normal" uuummm...backsides

can sometimes see the shell of the tablet.

ok, this is gross...

Like, sometimes you see corn. and it looks whole. But it's just the shell, and the inside of it

is full of your dinner, so it looks full.

So you may still be getting your wellbutrin, even though for me on the SR version, seeing

purple in my poop was weird,lol

Yep. The shell is laser drilled to control the release of the drug so that it lasts 24 hours. I thought it was pretty ingenious myself, but my curiosity stopped short of poop diving to see whether or not my digestive tract had dissolved the shell.

Greeny

Guest Guest_wiggles67_*

actually the shell is nto what keeps it working for 24 hours, that's just a protectant for your stomach.  I know this because the lowest dose you can get here is 100 mg and I wanted to split it for starting because I am sensitive to meds.  The pdoc said I couldn't do that because it would enter my system to quickly BUT he had a talk with the pharmacist and he said that they can infact be broken and would still work the same way..the coating is just for stomach protection

actually the shell is nto what keeps it working for 24 hours, that's just a protectant for your stomach.  I know this because the lowest dose you can get here is 100 mg and I wanted to split it for starting because I am sensitive to meds.  The pdoc said I couldn't do that because it would enter my system to quickly BUT he had a talk with the pharmacist and he said that they can infact be broken and would still work the same way..the coating is just for stomach protection

Um.  This is just wrong.

U.S. Patent 6,589,553  (July 8, 2003)  has this to say:

The present invention meets the unfulfilled needs of the pharmaceutical industry.

The current invention involves a new pelletization process, typified by the application of a bupropion/cellulose ether suspension to inert spheres and two unique formulations of sustained release coating which are applied to separate active drug pellets. The formulation functions by membrane-controlled extended-release in a pH dependent manner. The bupropion release rate has been improved by the introduction of uncoated bupropion and two types of film coated active pellets which release the drug at different pH resulting in novel dissolution profiles.

Inert spheres are initially coated with bupropion and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose. These active pellets can be directly employed as the first component of the formulation of the present invention. Alternatively, loose bupropion granules may be employed. An enteric coating, applied to from about 10 to about 90 weight percent of the active drug pellets, is comprised of film insoluble at low pH comprising hydroxypropyl methylcellulose phthalate. The second coating applied to from about 90 to about 10 weight percent of active drug pellets is comprised of a combination of a hydrophobic coating agent and a methyl acrylate ester copolymer. The three components are then combined in a capsule. Generally, the weight ratio of the first component to the second component may vary from about 1:50 to about 50:1, the weight ratio of the first component to the third component may vary from about 1:50 to about 50:1, and the weight ratio of the second component to the third component may vary from about 10:90 to about 90:10, although a weight ratio of from about 30:70 to about 70:30 is preferred. Especially preferred is a weight ratio of three components of about 10:30:60.

This formulation can provide 24 hour efficacy with once-daily dosing, with less than 50% of drug released at 10 hours. Therapeutic plasma levels are maintained from 12 to 24 hours. The usual dosage range is 75-450 mg.

U.S. Patent 6,905,708 (June 14, 2005) describes it thusly:

The current invention involves a new pelletization process, typified by the application of a bupropion/cellulose ether suspension to inert spheres and two unique formulations of sustained release coatings that are applied to separate active pellets. The formulation functions by membrane-controlled extended-release in a pH dependent manner. The bupropion release rate has been improved by the introduction of two types of film coated active pellets that release the drug at different pH resulting in novel dissolution profiles.

Inert spheres are initially coated with bupropion and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose. The active pellets containing bupropion comprise 70-75 weight % of the dosage form. An enteric coating, applied to about one third of the active drug pellets, is comprised of a film insoluble at low pH, such as hydroxypropyl methylcellulose phthalate. The second coating applied to the other two thirds of active drug pellets is comprised of a combination of a hydrophobic coating agent and methyl acrylic acid copolymer. The two pellet types are then combined in a capsule. Generally, the weight ratio of the first pellet to the second pellet will be from about 90:10 to about 10:90, although a weight ratio of from about 30:70 to about 70:30 is preferred. Especially preferred is a weight ratio of about 33.3:66.7.

This formulation can provide 24-hour efficacy with once daily dosing, with less than 50% of the drug released at 10 hours. Therapeutic plasma levels are maintained from 12 to 24 hours. The usual dosage range is 75-450 mg.

Boringly yours,

Tommy

Guest Guest_wiggles67_*

well I am no doctor but the pharmacist and the doctor both said that drug companies have to write it out one way for legal purposes.  Just like wellbutrin is is as an anti d, under zyban it is used for smoking and when you get the sheets from the pharmacy with the presciption you will see they have different meanings written on the sheets depending on what you are using it for and under what name...so who knows  guess

Archived