CrazyBoards.org

trileptal and narcotic pain relievers

Recently I did a one month trial on trileptal and it was extremely effective as far as my bipolar disorder but it seemed to interfere with the narcotic painkillers I have taken regularly for the last five years.  (Severe car accident, many surgeries)  Because of this, I had to give it up before my surgery last week.  My pdoc is on vacation right now (of course) and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced less relief from painkillers while on trileptal or had read anything about this.  I'm back in hypomania land and can't concentrate enough to do my own research.  I would like to find a way to take this or maybe find a drug that has the same good effect but doesn't interfere with the painkillers.  Even when I was taking twice the amt of hydrocodone I usually take, I would still feel like I had been kicked in the back and stabbed in the neck.  But now my brain is driving me nuts.  I hope this makes sense to someone other than me....Thank you in advance...

i rarely take any pain killers, but i just wanted to let you know that i hoope you feel better as it sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place. when you find something out will you please post as i do take trileptal.

thanks

Recently I did a one month trial on trileptal and it was extremely effective as far as my bipolar disorder but it seemed to interfere with the narcotic painkillers I have taken regularly for the last five years.  (Severe car accident, many surgeries)  Because of this, I had to give it up before my surgery last week.  My pdoc is on vacation right now (of course) and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced less relief from painkillers while on trileptal or had read anything about this.  I'm back in hypomania land and can't concentrate enough to do my own research.  I would like to find a way to take this or maybe find a drug that has the same good effect but doesn't interfere with the painkillers.  Even when I was taking twice the amt of hydrocodone I usually take, I would still feel like I had been kicked in the back and stabbed in the neck.  But now my brain is driving me nuts.  I hope this makes sense to someone other than me....Thank you in advance...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, your WRITING makes sense, but I can't find anything to explain why this happened to you.  If anything, you should have seen some synergistic action.  And actually, it looks like Trileptal is often very effective against pain in its own right - at least, pain caused by nerve damage or inflammation.  Which maybe yours isn't. 

Which is ... no help to you whatsoever!  Dang.  I'm sorry you're going through this.  Does your doctor who prescribed the painkiller have any thoughts? 

Thanks for you concern!  Ah, the complicated matter of my treatment.  So my pdoc got back in town today and said he thinks the trileptal made my liver metabolize all the drugs I'm on faster, so it was exiting my body sooner.  So this drug, despite its efficacy, is not a good one for me to continue.  He just started me on depakote, which I had decided against before since my gyno already suspects endometriosis, but am willing to try now for lack of other good options.  The good news is I'm feeling less crazy, the bad news is I have the headache from HELL.  It's as bad as any migraine I've had but not responsive nor distributed in the same way.

As far as the pain meds, the rx is sustained by my GP who doesn't know a ton about the latest BP treatments.  My diagonostician for pain was this amazing guy who holds a speciality in neuropsychiatry, but in order to get real management from him I'd need to go back and live at/near his clinic for a while, which I'm not wild about doing when I like my psych here just fine and you know, given that little ;) money issue.

I wish I could have stayed on the trileptal though, it worked SO WELL.  Such is life, though.

• 2 weeks later...

I am an opiate addict with bipolar.  I have been clean(er) for about 4 months now (3 relapses- so not really clean, I guess).  I finally decided to try an AED (Lamictal) a few months ago for the bipolar.  So, the doctor treating my opiate addiction stopped my Suboxone and now I only take Lamictal.  I have tried Vicodin recently (relaspe) but never got high on it.  I did get a little hypomanic, just like Jerod says.  I never thought about it, but maybe it's because I take Lamictal.  If this is the case, it has kept me from taking opiates.  I dont want to spend money on vicodin when I really dont get high. 

It seems that Lamictal was better treatment for me- better than Suboxone (which only helps the physical additon by keeping me from withdrawal).  Although I am not totally free from addition and have a ton more work ahead of me, I really think this is correct.

I thought this was the case when I first started the Lamictal.  I tried to research this back then but really never got anywhere.  The opiate-detox forum I also belong to had nothing to say about it.  I am not sure about enzymes and all that but I do know that Lamictal has really helped with the cravings and thoughts I used to have everyday.

If anybody knows where I can read up on the association, please share with me.  I dont know where/how you get this info, Jerod.  I love to hear your take on all this. 

-dirty

Also, would Buprenex be an option for pain?

I am an opiate addict with bipolar.  I have been clean(er) for about 4 months now (3 relapses- so not really clean, I guess).  I finally decided to try an AED (Lamictal) a few months ago for the bipolar.  So, the doctor treating my opiate addiction stopped my Suboxone and now I only take Lamictal.  I have tried Vicodin recently (relaspe) but never got high on it.  I did get a little hypomanic, just like Jerod says.  I never thought about it, but maybe it's because I take Lamictal.  If this is the case, it has kept me from taking opiates.  I dont want to spend money on vicodin when I really dont get high. 

It seems that Lamictal was better treatment for me- better than Suboxone (which only helps the physical additon by keeping me from withdrawal).  Although I am not totally free from addition and have a ton more work ahead of me, I really think this is correct.

I thought this was the case when I first started the Lamictal.  I tried to research this back then but really never got anywhere.  The opiate-detox forum I also belong to had nothing to say about it.  I am not sure about enzymes and all that but I do know that Lamictal has really helped with the cravings and thoughts I used to have everyday.

If anybody knows where I can read up on the association, please share with me.  I dont know where/how you get this info, Jerod.  I love to hear your take on all this. 

-dirty

Also, would Buprenex be an option for pain?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are not the only person who's thought of this:

A preliminary investigation of lamotrigine for cocaine abuse in HIV-seropositive patients.

Lamotrigine in patients with bipolar disorder and cocaine dependence.

Anticonvulsant drugs in the treatment of substance withdrawal.

Hope that helps.

P.S.: Unless it says free full text or you're a member, don't bother clicking on the "full text article" links.

Archived