CrazyBoards.org

What do you take for panic/anxiety?

Guest Guest_Gizmo_*

Guest Guest_Gizmo_*

Just wondering what meds you take that are supposed to help you with your panic disorders/extreme anxiety.  I'm now taking risperdal .75 mg, which I hope will help, on top of 200 mg per day of Topamax, 10 mg Lexapro, and 1 mg Xanax as needed.  I generally take the Xanax once or so a day about 3-5 times a week, but could probably do it a lot more, because I still have attacks.  I'm hoping the risperdal helps!  I've been on Abilify (akathesia) and Seroquel (couldn't stop being tired 20 hours out of the day)

Thanks!

Ummm...I had been diagnosed wirth severe panic disorder, but I unfortunately have ended up in the anti-benzo camp of the psych doc community, so all that they've given me is paxil and seroquel  ;)   Recently my self inflicted injuries landed me in ER. When the docs saw that I was dx with majore panic disorder, and wasn't being given anything for it, they thankfully gave me some Klonapin (sp?), which is helping.

Just wondering what meds you take that are supposed to help you with your panic disorders/extreme anxiety.  I'm now taking risperdal .75 mg, which I hope will help, on top of 200 mg per day of Topamax, 10 mg Lexapro, and 1 mg Xanax as needed.  I generally take the Xanax once or so a day about 3-5 times a week, but could probably do it a lot more, because I still have attacks.  I'm hoping the risperdal helps!  I've been on Abilify (akathesia) and Seroquel (couldn't stop being tired 20 hours out of the day)

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take klonopin for anxiety, 1-2mg a day depending on severity. I also take zyprexa for BP, and it helps alot with the anxiety too. It seemed like when I got the BP and drug/alcohol abuse under control the anxiety really started to rear it's head. It's weird. I still have panic attacks sometimes, especially when I wake up. Ah well, that's what I'm taking for anxiety.

I don't have panic attacks--just horrible mixed episodes once in a while which i guess is close. For general anxiety/agitation/restlessness/fidgeting I've a) begun sleeping at least 8 hrs a night w/ a little help from a friend I like to call Klonipin. B) when the floodgates begin to open, I pop a few Inderal (the ANTI adrenalin-fight/flight-anxiety-fueler) and it gives me a sheen of calm beneath which may sometimes percolate some excess blitzing. Naturally, I recommend these potions. BTW, klonipin is usually the benzo of choice for BPs. Xanax can be a bit too ragged and leave you hanging. but then again, everyone's mileage varies so who am i to say. Oh, and they do say Neurontin works great for anxiety! you're trying...so you'll get it right.

toodles,

When I was in hospital last month, the doctor totally changed my cocktail.  He put me on Lithium and Paxil, with Klonopin to use until the Paxil kicked in.  Trouble is, the Paxil still hasn't kicked in.  I'm hoarding my remaining Klonopin, saving it for when I really need it.  I'm hoping that my regular pdoc will give me a refill.

valium, up to 15mg/day

Does nothing to stop a panic attack once it starts, but my pdoc reckons it averts cluster attacks, which I tend to suffer from.  (ie have one, will almost certainly have another one or two in the following 12 hours) At the moment I'm going up to 20mg/day b/c I'm not coping with anything and feel permanently on the edge of hysteria.

Relieved to find a doc who's not afraid of benzo's... a new thing for me.

Other one I tried was ativan-- does absolutely nothing for me.

No panic, knock wood, just anxiety.  Klonopin worked, but I was detached as a Vulcan, as if seriously depressed.  The little bit of Seroquel I take (25mg) takes the edge off, but only that.

Lithium is what I'm relying on to do most of the work; when I start hinking out, I can move the bedtime dose to morning or dinnertime (or just take it right away if I haven't yet) and I'm calmer within the hour.  While it may only prove that I don't have such bad anxiety, this unexpected benefit of lithium has turned out to be my favorite thing about the drug.

Anybody out there with panic/anxiety that's bipolar and allergic to bendos?  ADs send me into mania land (like disney, but higher credit card bills).  I'm on seroquel (which helps a little) and depakote (which helps a little) but I'm definitely having breakthrough attacks still.  I've though about checking into BuSpar.  I saw one negative post in this thread, but don't know much about it...

Archived