CrazyBoards.org

I'm an 18 year old college student who has bipolar. I've had it since I was very young, and I've been on SEVERAL of the medications you've described so in depth. I'm actually really scared that everything out there is going to hurt one aspect of my life or another. Do you know of ANY bipolar med that can be approved for someone like me? I have a boyfriend, and I don't want our sex life to suck, and I am a big enough woman where weight loss would be a great idea. I'm currently on 300 mgs of Seroquel, and I HATE that it knocks me out the way it does. Please help! Suggestions would be GREAT!

Kitty, hi. 

Have you brought up your concerns with your Pdoc?  Sorry I suck at the med advice stuff.

Does the Seroquel help?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, not really. All it does it knock me out like a bull elephant, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to fail my last class if I can't get it changed. I need a 1.4 in order to come back to school, and this med (just like effexor) is NOT WORKING. I don't exactly HAVE a PDoc. I see this guy in wellsboro named Cliff [edited to surname] (what a thrill) and he just kinda throws me on whatever he can find. It annoys the bejesus out of me.

I haven't tried lamictal, and I will never try lithium...to afraid it'll make my hair fall out! Any suggestions? Like I said, I wanna get on one that WON'T kill my sex drive. My boyfriend and I have a VERY VERY healthy sexual appetite.

I'm an 18 year old college student who has bipolar. I've had it since I was very young, and I've been on SEVERAL of the medications you've described so in depth. I'm actually really scared that everything out there is going to hurt one aspect of my life or another. Do you know of ANY bipolar med that can be approved for someone like me? I have a boyfriend, and I don't want our sex life to suck, and I am a big enough woman where weight loss would be a great idea. I'm currently on 300 mgs of Seroquel, and I HATE that it knocks me out the way it does. Please help! Suggestions would be GREAT!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ive recently been dx as bp1, although ive always known it to be true.  i started taking lamictal and am titrating up to 250mg...it seems to be helping a lot although im a rapid cycler; and the next step is getting me off effexor completely as it may be contributing to the cycling. 

it hasnt affected my sex life, and i havent seen a significant change in my weight (i KNOW the cause of my weight gain...it isnt the meds!)

my doc and i both sat down and went through the pro's and con's of each AC, and we both came up with this as being the safest.

good luck...

xo

tal

I'm gonna talk to someone down at the clinic and see if I can get an appointment or something soon to discuss changing my medicene. Thanks for the tip. What WAS causing yer weight gain? I'm just a big woman as is...really self concious!! And I really do love sex with my b/f...I just read somewhere that there's a med that will make it so you can't get off no matter what you try. How scary!

Don't dis meds before you have tried them.  I am a "bigger" woman, and I was happiest and thinnest when I was on Lithium, Neurontin and Effexor.  And I had hair.  And regular good sex.  Granted my heartrate was down at 45, but I was skinny!!  The side effects listed change from person to person, you never know what is going to happen.  I had a bad skin reaction to Wellbutrin and a ton of people love it.  Lithium was fine for me, and some people freak out on it. 

The BEST thing you can do is get an actual doctor who will work with you, listen to you and spend time helping you.  I get freaked when reading the side effects of all the meds too, talk yourself off the ledge by reminding yourself that you may not have any of them.  It's hard, I am a very influenced person and when I read that Depakote, which I am on now, can cause hair loss, weight gain, GI problems, or all of above, I wigged.  BUT I am giving it time and seeing how it goes.  Be patient, try not to trip yourself out too much.  AND get a good doc!  A real one!  No frickin' clinics!

SG

I'm gonna talk to someone down at the clinic and see if I can get an appointment or something soon to discuss changing my medicene. Thanks for the tip. What WAS causing yer weight gain? I'm just a big woman as is...really self concious!! And I really do love sex with my b/f...I just read somewhere that there's a med that will make it so you can't get off no matter what you try. How scary!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most SSRI's are bad for loss of libido.  I was on Effexor for nearly 6 months and as soon as I went higher than 75mg, I had NO desire whatsoever to go near my boyfriend.

My weight gain? haha...eating too much. ;)   I LOVE food.  I binge eat also...which definitely adds to my problem.

Med side effects are somewhat individual. You can't know exactly what a med will do to you until you take it and find out. For example, I take 600mg/day of Seroquel and I don't find it sedating.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you may well have to compromise. It's a question of choosing what's most important to you -- and sacrificing some of the others. Down in the side effect board, you'll probably want to read the "what sucks less" sticky.

Fiona

Med side effects are somewhat individual. You can't know exactly what a med will do to you until you take it and find out. For example, I take 600mg/day of Seroquel and I don't find it sedating.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you may well have to compromise. It's a question of choosing what's most important to you -- and sacrificing some of the others. Down in the side effect board, you'll probably want to read the "what sucks less" sticky.

Fiona

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i totally agree with you, Fiona.  i absolutely FLAT OUT said no to taking lithium because of all of the horror stories i've heard...but seeing my pdoc last week made a difference.  i could take it along WITH the lamictal - at not such a higher dose.

i just want to FEEL better.  if i gain 20-30lbs in the process...at least i'll have my mental happiness *crosses fingers*

xo

tal

]i totally agree with you, Fiona.  i absolutely FLAT OUT said no to taking lithium because of all of the horror stories i've heard...but seeing my pdoc last week made a difference.  i could take it along WITH the lamictal - at not such a higher dose.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I took lithium for quite a while with very positive results, it really helped the situation with my anti-depressants. I didn't gain weight (or at least  not weight that I didn't need), the worst part was a notable tremor. It was only when it started to interfere with my thyroid function that I went off it.

Fiona

I am BP2 and I take seroquel. I had to decrease the dose as it was interfering in my life by making me overly sedated. I work full time and have two small children at home, so being overly sedated is out of the question.

I also take 300mg of lamictal. I have had no side effeects that I can think of and it turned my world around! I highly reccommend it. Most colleges have a clinic w/ psych. so check that out. I also just started taking strattera for ADHD. If you have that , this is another med I hightly rec. (so far!) I also take klonopin- that is for my anxiety and panic attacks- don'tevern notice I am on it except I don't have the anxietyand PA.

The seroquel gave me munchies, but since I lowered the dose and started strattera, it seems to havestopped. Thank God! I gained about 8 lbs.

good luck and try to see a pdoc.

I, too, swore I'd never go on lithium--all those horrid side effects!  Gack!

So far the only thing it's done is apparently even out my moods...like it's supposed to.  Nuthin' else.  Yer mileage, she varies, y'know?

My pdoc put me on Lamictal--ohno!  The RASH!  Or lotsa little rashes...  Nah, I didn't worry about that, or about hair falling out...which was good, cuz nothing happened.

Topamax...ah, my first and fave.  Yeh, I got stoooopid.  My brain, it acts funky (OK, mebbe cuz I'm dropping the dose down reeeeally fast) and between that and the Lamictal my skin ain't what it used to be...

But it's a small price to pay.  Why?  I got muh brain back (well, mostly; thanks Dopamax!) and a chance at putting together my wreck of a life.  A few zits and a little ('kay, a LOT) of exzema (sp?), well, fair trade, IMO.

I always say, try the damn med.  There's others out there if ya really don't like it.

But you knew that, or you wouldn't be here.  (Just FYI, there's no "magic pill" that won't have some potential effect or another.  Otherwise, this site wouldn't be here)

I fourth the advice on sitting down with a REAL pdoc.  They can talk out side effects with you, explain to you that the numbers are often low and you really may not get them.  Plus come up with a comprehensive treatment plan.  Try something for a month, if you hate it come up with a plan and try another or a combo.  I've taken LOTS of meds (psych and otherwise) over the years that have reported sexual ses and the only sexual side effect I've ever had was with an allergy medicine that didn't even have that on the PI sheet!  Plus hopefully your boyfriend will be supportive in your journey to a healthier mind and realize that it just may be awhile to you find what's right and you might have a couple of pitfalls along the way.

jerod, and I thank you for all your information! it was a great help to me when my pdoc dx'd me as bp/mixed.

it truly helped me realize that I need the meds, give them a chance as far as side effects go, and put being stable first. 'course I read it several times before it sunk in good, but I'm still taking that leap of faith.

Spike

Wow, this is overwhelming to see everyone giving me such advice. Thanks all, I REALLY appreciate it. I sat down and talked with Noah, and he says he'd be more than willing to help me to my journey for a healthier mind. He doesn't care what I look like - he loves me. He actually PROPOSED when I was taking my Seroquel: needless to say I almost CHOKED, but we're getting hitched. He's such a perfect man. Anyway, one question - what's a pdoc? I have no idea, and haven't ever heard that phrase. Thanks again.

Wow, this is overwhelming to see everyone giving me such advice. Thanks all, I REALLY appreciate it. I sat down and talked with Noah, and he says he'd be more than willing to help me to my journey for a healthier mind. He doesn't care what I look like - he loves me. He actually PROPOSED when I was taking my Seroquel: needless to say I almost CHOKED, but we're getting hitched. He's such a perfect man.

Wonderful!  I should note, my fiancee, er, felt the "side effects" of Zyprexa when she was on it--and of course, felt extraordinarily self conscious.  even though I kept telling her I just wanted her *better*, dammit!

Anyway, one question - what's a pdoc?

Pdoc=psychiatrist.  Just more shorthand in the world of ye olde Crazy Meds...

I found that the sedation wore off with seroquel.  They first started me on it "inside" and that was good...I slept thru  lot of nasty things going on while there.  Then when I went home, the sedation went away.  I would say a total of a month or so and it tapered off.  I was no longer sleepy and was able to function.

If 300 knocks you out, what do you honestly think 600 would do?  Yep, knock you out even further....

Good luck

Archived