CrazyBoards.org

Switching from Klonopin to Valium?

I know the Klonopin is stronger than Valium, however, valium is a muscle relaxer as well.  Currently, I have a bottle of valium prn 5mg to take when I get headaches.  It really helps with the headaches. 

So, my question is, should I ask my pdoc to switch me completely over to Valium?  And at what dose?  Currently, I take Klonopin 1mg 3x daily (9am, 12pm, 5pm).

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Chris

switching from klonopin to valium is the best thing i ever did medwise (besides get prescribed benzos in the first place.)

right now i need round-the-clock efficacy (apparently i have every anxiety disorder in the book) and was having a real rollercoaster as the klonopin was getting shorter acting.

for what it's worth, i was on 3.5 mg klonopin (seven .5mg pills staggered through the day) PLUS 10mg valium at night. now i'm just on 30mg valium per day, in six 5mg pills. i take two pills in the morning, two in the afternoon, two at night, but each pair is staggered by an hour or so, if that makes sense.

so it would seem my 3.5mg klonopin would account for about 20mg of the valium i'm on now, for what that's worth. i know everyone's different. but i do feel better, more steady and able to cope overall. i also gather it will be easier to taper when i'm ready.

good luck and aloha.

I don't have any experience with klonopin but valium helped me out a great deal. Too bad my doc won't let me have any more. It got me through some really hard times and I didn't have any discontinuation side effects.

Lilie

for what it's worth, it took me a few days to feel "adjusted" (for lack of better word, i mean i'm still not "cured") when i switched. it still may not be right for you but i thought i'd mention it (sorry i didn't earlier.)  aloha.

Archived