CrazyBoards.org

How Long Before...

Been on Cymbalta for 5 full weeks now.  I'm feeling better, but not great and still dealing with insomnia here and there.  How long is a tried and true time period to take these damn meds before you know if they're working.  I was on Zoloft for 11 years before I realized it wasn't working so good anymore and since it was so long ago, I don't remember anything about even the first year I was on it and how I felt good or bad!  I mean do ya give it a couple months?  More?  Guess since I've been married 18 years to a guy I'm still not crazy about, I put up with a lot more than I should.  Thanks for your replies everyone!

Generally around six weeks is long enough to tell if something is helping. You say you're feeling better on Cymbalta at five weeks, and that's very encouraging. Since it is helping, it might be time to deal with altering the dose to get the best response. The six weeks isn't usually when you'll feel 'cured' but when you'll have a clear idea whether it's working or not.

As for the Zoloft, things sometimes stop working over time and the decline may be so gradual it's takes a while to notice. When you started it, the Zoloft was probably fine, it just stopped being so effective gradually.

Fiona

Depends on the meds. But for most ADs, at least eight weeks.

A lot of the people here on Cymbalta have reported getting an almost immediate (3-5 days) in mood, euphoria around 4-6 weeks that lasts about a week, then a dip back down into the abyss that lasts 2-4 weeks, and then things start leveling out. I'd give it a few more weeks.

As far as the insomnia goes, I thought Cymbalta was pretty neutral. I insomnia a lot even when I'm not depressed, but depression makes it brutal. I've been on Cymbalta for 7 months, Wellbutrin for 4, and Xanax for 6-8 weeks. I finally started sleeping decently in the last 2-4 weeks. I still have to take Ambien, though.

Generally around six weeks is long enough to tell if something is helping. You say you're feeling better on Cymbalta at five weeks, and that's very encouraging. Since it is helping, it might be time to deal with altering the dose to get the best response. The six weeks isn't usually when you'll feel 'cured' but when you'll have a clear idea whether it's working or not.

As for the Zoloft, things sometimes stop working over time and the decline may be so gradual it's takes a while to notice. When you started it, the Zoloft was probably fine, it just stopped being so effective gradually.

Fiona

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Fiona.  I trust and welcome your replies.  I appreciate your response.  Take care of yourself!

Thanks Fiona.  I trust and welcome your replies.  I appreciate your response.  Take care of yourself!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*Blush*

Just remember that  I am no variety of medical professional -- and I don't play one on TV either.

Fiona

Archived