CrazyBoards.org

I had great success with Paxil for a number of years when it was prescribed for me 9 years ago for panic/depression and mild agoraphobia.  When I tried it the second time (after having been off it for a couple of years), it did not seem to work.  I now wonder if the fact that I was severely iron deficient had something to do with it not working (or not appearing to work), since the iron deficiency does result in low mood and anxiety. 

Anyway, does anyone know why it doesn't work a second time for some people?  Is it just a matter of trying a higher dose than had previously been prescribed?  Has anyone actually been able to successfully go back on Paxil after a break of a year or two and/or after trying other meds? 

Just curious.

I now wonder if the fact that I was severely iron deficient had something to do with it not working (or not appearing to work), since the iron deficiency does result in low mood and anxiety.

Iron deficiency could be an issue -- have you resolved that?

Anyway, does anyone know why it doesn't work a second time for some people?  Is it just a matter of trying a higher dose than had previously been prescribed?  Has anyone actually been able to successfully go back on Paxil after a break of a year or two and/or after trying other meds? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've gone back to Paxil after a break of several years, and then again after trying an assortment of other antidepressants. Neither time did it work as well as it did the first time. The second, after other meds, try was more effective, but that may be because it was in combination with other beneficial meds. If you've had a really good response to Paxil in the past, it's probably worth trying again.

Fiona

Paxil worked for me even though I went on and off it a few times. YMMV.

As for iron deficiency, I also had a fairly bad case of that, and it makes you feel terrible, IMO.

By all means, try the Paxil again if you want, but you will need to have improvement in your blood counts to really feel well I think.

Don't underestimate how much other illnesses affect your mood. This has been a big issue for me in the last several years.

Feel better. Eat steak (unless you hate it.) I hate iron supplements so much that I would drink pond slime if it kept my blood counts up. Luckily the occasional steak or burger has been enough to save me. I took chromagen forte for a year when my iron stores were persistently low, and I never want to find myself there again.

Good luck.

I've gone back to Paxil after a break of several years, and then again after trying an assortment of other antidepressants. Neither time did it work as well as it did the first time. The second, after other meds, try was more effective, but that may be because it was in combination with other beneficial meds. If you've had a really good response to Paxil in the past, it's probably worth trying again.

Fiona

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Fiona.  I am beginning to think it may be worth trying it again.  It really worked wonders on turning off the obsessive, fearful thoughts, anticipatory anxiety and nameless dread - all the things I am struggling with now, and which I think may be contributing to the residual depression I am experience.  My iron deficiency has been resolved, although it took about a year to get it up to just below the normal range.  However, my last blood test showed that my iron stores had gone up even more, and are now in the normal range.   

Paxil still worked for me the 2nd, 3rd and 4th time round. Probably not aswell but enough that i'm thinking of going back to it again. Everybody is different with this I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, mercspark.  It is true that everybody is different.  I am seriously considering giving it another try.  Even if it doesn't work entirely as well as previously, it may end up being better than the other things I have tried in the past year - hopefully. 

Paxil worked for me even though I went on and off it a few times. YMMV.

As for iron deficiency, I also had a fairly bad case of that, and it makes you feel terrible, IMO.

By all means, try the Paxil again if you want, but you will need to have improvement in your blood counts to really feel well I think.

Don't underestimate how much other illnesses affect your mood. This has been a big issue for me in the last several years.

Feel better. Eat steak (unless you hate it.) I hate iron supplements so much that I would drink pond slime if it kept my blood counts up. Luckily the occasional steak or burger has been enough to save me. I took chromagen forte for a year when my iron stores were persistently low, and I never want to find myself there again.

Good luck.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Alice.  Yeah, iron deficiency really takes a toll on a person.  When my doctor got the results of my bloodwork back (when I was first diagnosed), she said she didn't know how I managed to go to work each day, work an 11 or 12 hour day and actually be able to concentrate and get things done.  I guess I was running on adrenelin.  I do eat quite a bit of red meat, and love steak.  The iron supplements did not bother me, but it turned out that they didn't help, even when my dose was increased to 600mg of Palafar a day.  I finally had to have iron injections which brought my iron stores up to just below the normal range.  Like you, I hope I never find myself there again.  I was sooooooooooooooo tired. 

Now that my iron stores have gone up even more in the past number of months,

I think I may talk to my doctor about trying Paxil again with the nortriptyline I am currently taking (or perhaps switch the nort for desipramine since it is more energizing. 

Take care.

Archived