CrazyBoards.org

Did you get fat on these meds?

How did the mood stabilizers/anticonvulsant affect your body weigth?  

182 members have voted

1. 1. How did the mood stabilizers/anticonvulsant affect your body weigth?

• I lost more than 25 lbs
    • I lost 10-25 lbs
    • I lost up to 10 lbs
    • Neutral
    • I gained up to 10 lbs
    • I gained 10-25 lbs
    • I gained more than 25 lbs
    • I gained more than 50 lbs

I'm about to hitch a few rides on these particular horsies...

My doc says not everyone gains weigth on these meds.

He insists he has even seen some people lose weigth on them!

I think he is being less than truthful.

You can reply and tell us what you were taking...

Maybe i'm just really paranoid and what my doc says is true.

In this case I would love to be proven wrong.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It totally depends on what you are taking- they all act differently. I gained about 20 lbs on Depakote. I am on Lamictal now and it seems to be weight neutral. Topamax is supposed to make you lose weight, but for me it was also weight neutral. You can't make a blanket statement about all anti-convulsants.

And individual mileage varies...

I stayed the same on Lithium, as did my exercise everday routine.  I do notice however that I fluctuate more can go up 5 lbs in two days then down 7-8 pounds after that - it's all about my fluid intake, if I maintain my water intake I'm fine.

I'm about to hitch a few rides on these particular horsies...

My doc says not everyone gains weigth on these meds.

He insists he has even seen some people lose weigth on them!

I think he is being less than truthful.

You can reply and tell us what you were taking...

Maybe i'm just really paranoid and what my doc says is true.

In this case I would love to be proven wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Which horsies, er, meds, is your doctor considering for you?

Regarless of the medication, not everyone gains weight, and some people lose weight. This is just logic considering the number of trials for each of these different medications.

Todd.

The horses' names are lithium, or epival (depakote...no god not that one ;) ) or possibly tegretol...while I am trying to hitch a ride on lamictal if possible, but my pdoc doesn't like that one because it's newer (!). Will find out for sure day after tomorrow when I get my dx wich one I'll be starting the race with.

Thanx for telling me there is at least a chance of remeining just chubby or if lucky even better! You have also restored my faith in my doc. and that is priceless...nothing worse than the feeling there lying since you literaly entrust them with your life.

Doxie. what is zonegram?

I was 165 when I started the Lamictal, then was up to 185 within six weeks.  I threw in some Klonopin and went down to 175.  Then I had a reaction with the two, went off the K and I'm up to 185 again.  Doesn't really make me depressed, but it sure bums me out.

I agree with others in saying that it is really hard to say for the whole group of drugs.  Personally, Topamax never helped me lose weight.  I would say that Lamictal was fairly weight neutral.  Depakote was a major offender.  I currently take Lithium and I have gained about 5 pounds in 4 years.  I am willing to pay that price for the good the Lithium has done me.

Katie B)

The meds are each different, and you also have to consider each will have different effects on each of us because we're all so special!

Depakote: I gained about 40 pounds over five years, 20 of that within the first six months.  Also bad bloating for no particular reason, but especially before my period.  I've heard that on low doses it doesn't do this, and some people don't gain at all with it.

Tegretol:  It's weight neutral for most people, but I started gaining again when I switched to it.  May have been because I lost all physical energy, slept 12 hours a day, and was depressed.  Oh well.

Lamictal:  Hard to say for sure, because I haven't started reducing the Tegretol yet, but I'm at 200 and my physical energy is coming back; I actually want to go for walks and do my PT for my shoulder.  I'm also using stairs at work and generally moving around the office the way I used to.  My appetite seems more normal, too.  I think once I drop the Tegretol I'll start losing again.

When i was on depakote, i could tell i was gaining weight. My dpoc told me he didn't notice people gaining weight from it. I had a gut feeling (no pun intended) that he was wasn't really telling the whole truth. He said he notice people gaining weight on other type of depakote. i forget the name. i think extended release formula. I guess he wanted me to be fat and stable then thin and wacky. Also, my back was hurting from the weight i was gaining.

i take topamax and nortriptyline. I read somewhere that nortriptyline is supposed to be a weight gainer. i was worried about that. But, then my pdoc told me about the topamax benefits. Some people told me i look like i lost weight. probably 10 or 15lbs. I really don't have any cravings for sweets or alcohol. I was drinking alot and that probably didn't help with the weight. Anyways, good luck. Matt

Prozac: had no power over my eating disorder's willpower.

Lithium: smacked Prozac upside the head, 40lbs in 4.5 mos.

desipramine, thorazine, zyprexa, seroquel, geodon not on any of them long enough to gain the guaranteed weight, because they all make me want to become one with pair of tights and a hot syringe (of H).

Zoloft lost weight

Remeron makes everyone fat

Lamictal neutral

effexorXR, topamax, wellbutrinXL dropped serious poundage with each-- added months apart.

buspar, trazadone neutral

neuronton since it causes endometrial cancer, I suppose that would make it a good drug for those wanting to lose.

Lexapro fat fat FAT!

Prozac: had no power over my eating disorder's willpower.

Lithium: smacked Prozac upside the head, 40lbs in 4.5 mos.

desipramine, thorazine, zyprexa, seroquel, geodon not on any of them long enough to gain the guaranteed weight, because they all make me want to become one with pair of tights and a hot syringe (of H).

Zoloft lost weight

Remeron makes everyone fat

Lamictal neutral

effexorXR, topamax, wellbutrinXL dropped serious poundage with each-- added months apart.

buspar, trazadone neutral

neuronton since it causes endometrial cancer, I suppose that would make it a good drug for those wanting to lose.

Lexapro fat fat FAT!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I gained 40 lbs on Remeron and Seroquel! Lost 15 lbs so far since discontinuing these drugs... I'm not sure which of the two was the culprit! Maybe both in combination!

Jon

I've been on Lamictal for about 2 months.  I started weighing myself after people were telling me how much better I looked.  Since weighing myself, a few weeks ago, I have lost about 10lbs and I am still losing it.  I havent had much of an appetite on Lamictal and I hope to be even better when I get to 300mg.

Archived