CrazyBoards.org

Mood Stabilizers for Borderlines?

I'm not borderline, but I knew one with si who took depakote and topomax for her drinking problem. she said it helped alot. but as you may know there are many mood affinities between bp and bpd. thus, mood stabilizers are a natural for the bpd, especially if the ad's don't cut it. i'd definitely give it a try. i think bpd's need more mood regulating ( whether with ac's or ad's)  than they do control of their few psychotic episodes with ap's. but of course, as adjunct to the all important therapy.

good luck, hope your ac adventures meet success.

I've only been Dx with BPD since late April and I'm still stuggling to understand it. I have HORRIBLE mood swings. One hour I can be burning my self or sitting in depressed ennui, and fifteen minutes later, I can be  out playing with my dog or having a full scale bawling fit. It Sucks. If anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to post them...I'm kind of clueless where to go next

Everything I've read about BPD recommends Lamictal as a mood-stabilizer.  If you Google search the two, you should be able to come up a fair number of links.

I haven't yet started on Lamictal, but I'm looking forward to trying it considering its efficacy rate in BPD/rapid-cycling BP, reputation for having an AD effect in those who aren't responsive to ADs, and mild side-effect profile (except, of course, for The Rash, which isn't likely to happen).

Ok, as I've already said a zillion times, I BPD with severe panic episodes and crack monkey from hell mood cycles. I just got back from my tdoc and he is going to talk to the nurse practitioner about putting me on either Risperadal (sp?) or Zyprexa... I'm being the poster child for dysfunctional R us and into a lot of SI. Will either of these help? I'm on 30mg Paxil, 100mg Seroquel, and since my spazz out trip to the ER, I'm on clonazepam for when I can't take the pressure anymore.

Second question...The clonazepam works pretty well for me and for the first time since I kicked the booze I was able to go out and not be a total panic attack and paranoid wreck. My tdoc says that its VERY addicting...is it really? Its the first drug that I've been on that really makes me feel better.

But my pdoc wants to do away with it.

I don't have BPD, but I have had a 7 yr SI problem which lithium helped quite a bit. For me, it reduced the feeling that I "needed" to SI so that I actually could feel like I had a choice. Might help with other BPD symptoms in that way........YMMV.....

Hi there....just wondering if anyone could give me a quick post listing the differences between BPD and BPII --(in a nutshell so to speak) - this would be really helpful-------

Thanks much

Seroquel and neurontin

Not sure what my technical diagnosis is though.  It's been bipolar for awhile, but I have enough symptoms of borderline that I'm being treated for that and going into DBT somewhere in the fall.  My therapist says I meet the criteria for BPD, my psychiatrist thinks I have traits and that's it.

So I don't know., but regardless, those two are my stabilizers.

I wasn't aware that a symptom of BPD was psychosis.  I don't have this problem either.  Nor do I SI (cutting etc.).  In fact, the only real symptoms I have are:

Mood swings (mostly intense anger)

Personalizing EVERYTHING!!! (If it's possible to take offense to something, I will!)

Identity issues

Intense fear of abandonment (fuck off! no fuck me now!)

I don't drink (anymore), do drugs or steal.  I ALWAYS have to be in a relationship tho.  Perhaps that's my addiction.  I just don't know. 

Just wondering if any of you that are Borderlines take mood stablizers?  If so, which one?  Thanks! ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am borderline and bipolar (although my current pdoc doesn't think so) :)   and take Wellbutrin and Epival (Depakote). (If she doesn't believe the bp dx then why keep me on meds?) The research suggests that med therapy is not effective for bpd I think.

Ameth

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you read that?

Archived