CrazyBoards.org

Whats the best AD on top of Stimulant?

Pdoc has been wanting me to take Effexor for a while on top of Adderal but I refused cuz I dont like alot of pills and side effects BUT I have decided that I might want to look into it since my thoughts and life are not going so well and I might need it again. In the past I have been on zoloft,paxil,prozac and that L one I forget its name, oh yeah Lexapro (all pre adderal) but I was really wondering about any newer meds in the last few years and wellbutrin/effexor. I am also probably going to be switching stims. prob dex, since it seems to have fewer side effects. Any input would be great! I dont want to be numb,lethargic,cloudy,gain weight or any other side just something to compliment and improve me and my add meds.Thanks!

I've been fairly happy with Prozac/Adderall combination, but I'll bet I'm more tolerant of side effects than you are. For me, an ability to be happy and mentally sharper far outweighs the annoyances. Also, I tend to think of it as a stimulant on top of the SSRI, since for me depression was more disabling than ADD.

among my side effects from this combo:

-increased libido (greatly increased)

-decreased ability to have orgasm (hold breath until turn blue)

-temporary decrease of appetite with accompanying weight loss which has stayed off (this is good)

-shakiness

-twitchiness when Adderall wears off

-easier to fall asleep, at least after getting used to it

-shakiness (gets better with time for the most part)

-orthostatic hypotension (decreases with time, now mostly only on hot days, which is something I've always had and may be normal)

-sometimes feel like a nap when I wouldn't expect to, but it's easy to postpone

Do the AD's help with the ADD symptoms into the evening after Stims wear off? And do they help with the dreaded "come down"?

Velvet~what exactly is cymbalta? I have read about it but dont quite get the jist of it and the differences between it and the others.

Ido~Yes, the weight loss is fantastic and I want to keep it that way, which in my superficial selfcentered world is my one of my biggest fears of taking an AD again and the fear of becoming "zombie" like. The last time I was taking Zoloft, I realized once I stopped taking it that I hadnt cried in a year. I dont like that, I want to feel my emotions just not get carried away.

Thanks Guys!

I don't get the "come down" except possibly for being a little more groggy in the AM than usual. I think I must have a weak liver, because Adderall keeps working for a long time. Usually I try to take 2nd dose between 3:30 and 4:30 in the afternoon. If I miss until 5 or 5:30, I might notice a small tendency to drag, but not unless I'm looking for it.

I was slightly zombie like in, as I recall, 3rd and 4th weeks of Prozac. But at the time that was good. Adderall seemed to bring back my full emotional range, unless that was a timing coincidence. The only zombie like symptom I have now is that I'm in the giddy phase of a sudden romance but I'm not anxious about it. Unfortunately, there have been plenty of other things I've been anxious about, like moving twice in a year, new housemates, etc. If you miss crying, you might try listening to Barber's Adagio for Strings. If that doesn't do it, you have a problem.

Do the AD's help with the ADD symptoms into the evening after Stims wear off? And do they help with the dreaded "come down"?

Velvet~what exactly is cymbalta? I have read about it but dont quite get the jist of it and the differences between it and the others.

Ido~Yes, the weight loss is fantastic and I want to keep it that way, which in my superficial selfcentered world is my one of my biggest fears of taking an AD again and the fear of becoming "zombie" like. The last time I was taking Zoloft, I realized once I stopped taking it that I hadnt cried in a year. I dont like that, I want to feel my emotions just not get carried away.

Thanks Guys!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 year later...

I've been on Paxil and Ritalin for a while. I think Paxil is a good choice coz it blocks the panic attacks you might get from Ritalin. I think it's best to have an AD on top of a stimulant. I also take Xanax xtended release for less crashing effects.

I think Wellbutrin is a really good choice and you should take it together with the SSRI coz it'll further boost the dopamine effect of Adderall.

Also, a norepeniphrine reuptake inhibitor like Cymbalta can be added.

But keep the Paxil and Cymbalta in the low dose range or else you'll feel like a sluggish zombie

Archived