CrazyBoards.org

ROZEREM (ramelteon) Thread - news & your reviews

http://www.rozerem.com/index.aspx

This is big because insteqad of sedating us in to sleep - its mechanism seems to help our "internal sleep clock" work better. I'll see if I can get some of our resident pharmacology geeks to do some research into how this is different than the traditional hypnotics and benzos often prescribed.

Now does anyone know if this is something already used outside of the USA?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clinical trials involving more than 4,200 patients, ages 18 to 93, showed the drug was generally well tolerated. The most common side effects reported were somnolence, fatigue, and dizziness.

Because Rozerem is metabolized by the liver, the drug company cautioned the drug should not be used by patients with severe hepatic impairment.

The company also said patients taking Luvox (fluvoxamine) should not take Rozerem. Patients with depression should also be closely monitored if they are prescribed Rozerem because of potential to exacerbate symptoms.

"We saw in the clinical trials that Rozerem could increase depression in people who are depressed," Dr. Meyer said. "We did not see any clear signals of suicide ideation."

However, the manufacturer warned suicidal thoughts have been reported with the use of hypnotics.

Rozerem has not been studied in patients with sleep apnea or those with severe chronic obstructive pulmomary disease.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Productalert/P...iptions/tb/1414

that is kind of sucky. but confusing because it is used in france as an antidepressant. hm.

Guest Guest_lazer_*

http://www.rozerem.com/index.aspx

This is big because insteqad of sedating us in to sleep - its mechanism seems to help our "internal sleep clock" work better. I'll see if I can get some of our resident pharmacology geeks to do some research into how this is different than the traditional hypnotics and benzos often prescribed.

Now does anyone know if this is something already used outside of the USA?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I''m having a challenge posting, any help? Hit add reply and  nothign comes up but as you see here.  Try yoga, meditation, relaxation tapes, vhs and cassette. Warm chacolate milk, some carbs before retiring, carbs help me get to sleep. I eat crackers, sometimes add non alcoholic beer right before I go to bed.

OK I was able to post, don't need help anymore. Well sorta for mental problems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sunshine - I heard it should be on the market by the end of the year - so you can't start harassing your doc yet. When I get better details of a release date I will post them here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Halo! He generally won't prescribe something new until it's been on the market for six months. But after the Lunesta disappointment, I'm not getting my hopes up on this one. I've actually been sleeping fairly well lately. It helps that the depression has solidly lifted and that I'm getting outside more now that the weather is good.

Hoping you're getting some zzz's,

Sunshine

• 3 weeks later...

The name of it sounds a lot like Remeron. Is it related to Remeron? If so, wouldn't it make you gain weight too?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's possible, but new mechanism of action means it might not.  Assuming that's not marketing hype.

Who knows ever about any of these things anyway?  People have such varied reactions to stuff.  I mean, Provigil seems to work on and off for me, sometimes 300mg has no effect at all and sometimes 125mg or so is too much.  Anyway, that's probably no help at all...

Anyway, nothing perks me up like vicodin in the morning.  So there you have it.  I actually found that, for sleep, a herbal thing that's sold by some pseudo-med place called  Berkeley Neutraceuticals called Dromias works as well as 300mg of Seroquel, but without some of the hunger.  It can leave me hung over in the morning tho...

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the melatonin receptor agonist thing, the PI sheet identifies it as a hypnotic.  So why would it be less addictive than other hypnotics?

I did get off xanax after using it for years, but have now been using ambien for ages.  The only time I didn't need it for any length of time was when I took tegretol for BP, which has the lovely side-effect of curing any insomnia I had.  But it also made me mucho depressed, so getting off of it now.

On the other hand my problem seems to be an accellerated circadian rythm, so like everyone else I'd love a sleep aid that magically gets me good restorative sleep without doping me up or making me a drug fiend.  I'll be eager to hear reports once it's on the market.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article today:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/liv...th/12622146.htm

My pharmacy doesn't have it yet (and has never heard of it). My pdoc mentioned it today - he's got one patient taking it (not sure where he got it, though - except that it looks like the trials may have been conducted by a sleep clinic in my area).

Trying not to get my hopes up,

Sunshine

My doctor mentioned Rozerem to me today. Apparently, besides being a sleeping aid it also resets your body's rhythm, which can help people with BP disorder get stable. He also said that the med mimics the natural melatonin that our body produces so there are no side affects, it is not addicting, and can be taken long term. Granted, those are his words so do your own research. He has several patients on it.

Archived