CrazyBoards.org

CYCLOTHYMIC

I have never been MANIC only on paxil without a mood stabilizer in my life. I also have never had a major depressive episode so I guess I am CYCLOTHYMIC. I wonder who else has this and do we respond differently to meds. I am on lamictal and Prosac and am doing better than ever. Looking at everybody that are Bipolar 1 and 2 they are on so many meds and still have problems. Any body here CYCLOTHYMIC and on little medication with no cycling and problems with highs and lows.

I have not been dx but I think it is possible I could be cyclothymic. I am only on paxil. I have never had mania, maybe hypomania unrecognized (Im learning here)

I am mostly anxious with mild/moderate depression that goes whacko on anything but paxil.

My Mom was BP, I am pretty sure my sister is and our 1st cousin, Oh and an Aunt (Mom's sister). So I know it is well ingrained in the family and totally possible it could hit me. None of them are medicated. Though they really need to be!

This site has been wonderful for teaching me what to watch for and I will not be going off of my meds. I will definately seek help if I feel changes. (which happened when I tried to change to different meds) Paxil is the only thing that seems to keep me stable. '

Reading all the positives on Lamictal for dep/GAD with BPII's, that would be my request to take should I ever need it.

CC~

PS I am not sure how you even get a cylclothymic dx when it is so similar to other things?

I have not been dx but I think it is possible I could be cyclothymic. I am only on paxil. I have never had mania, maybe hypomania unrecognized (Im learning here)

I am mostly anxious with mild/moderate depression that goes whacko on anything but paxil.

My Mom was BP, I am pretty sure my sister is and our 1st cousin, Oh and an Aunt (Mom's sister). So I know it is well ingrained in the family and totally possible it could hit me. None of them are medicated. Though they really need to be!

This site has been wonderful for teaching me what to watch for and I will not be going off of my meds. I will definately seek help if I feel changes. (which happened when I tried to change to different meds) Paxil is the only thing that seems to keep me stable. '

Reading all the positives on Lamictal for dep/GAD with BPII's, that would be my request to take should I ever need it.

CC~

PS I am not sure how you even get a cylclothymic dx when it is so similar to other things?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i have had SEVERE GAD for many years, along with being bp1.  ive found that lamictal is really helping the depressive states, along with my anxiety - and im only at 150mg =)

good luck...

xo

tal

Thanks Tal! I have been following your progress and am so pleased you have found something for relief. Your good experience sealed my choice should I have a downward spiral that needs augmented with a mood stabilizer.

Hoping that doesn't happen but I am not going to be in denial if it does.

CC~

Thanks Tal! I have been following your progress and am so pleased you have found something for relief. Your good experience sealed my choice should I have a downward spiral that needs augmented with a mood stabilizer.

Hoping that doesn't happen but I am not going to be in denial if it does.

CC~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks very much - me too!  SO glad to have found something thats taken a lot of the depression away.

i'm glad...

i have a very supportive doctor who will sit down with me and go over the pros of each med, and let me choose my path...

its always nice to have THAT support.

good luck with everything...and i sincerely hope things dont get so bad that you NEED a mood stabilizer.  *fingers crossed*

xoxoxoxo

tal

tallulah,

Your experience reminds me of something I read from Dr. Ghaemi.

It is also worth mentioning that, many times, antidepressants and benzodiazepines are not even needed in the treatment of bipolar disorder with comorbid anxiety conditions. This is because anxiety symptoms often resolve when the mood disorder is treated. This falls within a hierarchical approach to diagnosis and treatment that has a long tradition in psychiatry, as follows: Mood disorders trump psychotic disorders which trump anxiety disorders. In other words, if someone has a mood disorder (such as bipolar disorder) plus delusions, one should diagnose and treat bipolar disorder first, not schizophrenia, and often the psychotic symptoms resolve with treatment of the mood symptoms. Further, if someone has bipolar disorder plus GAD, I would recommend initially treating the bipolar disorder with a standard mood stabilizer, and then only adding an antianxiety treatment if anxiety symptoms persist despite improvement of mood symptoms with adequate treatment with a mood stabilizer.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/492123_1

Archived