CrazyBoards.org

I've been off and on Paxil a couple times in the last year (and yes, going off Paxil cold turkey is just as horrid as they say it is), and this time it's not working.  I've been back on it for about 2 months and I've had (pardon me) diarrhea the whole time though I'm still managing to gain weight like I really need *that* ha!, I'm sleepy to the point of dozing off at work (and I've tried taking it at a different part of the day), and so tired that I'm winded just going from the car to the house, extremely spacey and forgetful, clumsier than usual (which is saying something) and - to top it off - it's not doing a whole heck of a lot for depression.

Left work early today when I found myself reading - or trying to read - the same lines over and over and over again... and just about dissolved into tears while I was trying to keep it together long enough to tell my supervisor I had to leave for the day. Charming.

Got a call back from the doctor when I got home and he says to take the Paxil (CR, 25mg) once every other day instead of every day, and they gave me an appointment for the 22nd.  I'm going to take 1/2 a dose once a day and wean myself off properly this time. A whole dose every other day doesn't sound smart to me.  (This isn't a psych doctor.)

Doing my homework on what to try next... and there has to be *something*, I've finally admitted I can't do it with herbs or meditation or anything else, as hard as I've tried. And I can't just step in front of a semi, as easy a solution as that would be, 'cause I've got my animals to take care of, as well as rescue animals that are depending on me.

I'd like to try Wellbutrin, I think... so far, anyway... as - judging from personal accounts I've read - it looks the least likely to make a naturally sleepy person outright somnolent.

Any thoughts, personal experiences?  (BTW, tried Zoloft some time ago and that one didn't do much of anything, either.)

Thanks for listening/reading...

Got a call back from the doctor when I got home and he says to take the Paxil (CR, 25mg) once every other day instead of every day, and they gave me an appointment for the 22nd.  I'm going to take 1/2 a dose once a day and wean myself off properly this time. A whole dose every other day doesn't sound smart to me.  (This isn't a psych doctor.)

You should NOT divide the Paxil CR tablets! CR is a controlled release formula, so it's intended to dissolve slowly. If you cut it then you'll mess with the controlled release mechanism and you're not going to like the result.

I don't now about every other day, but because it is a controlled release, that might well turn out to be fine.

I do understand what you mean about being so sleepy. I gave Paxil CR a try late last year, to replace the regular Paxil that wasn't doing much just to see -- and I slept all the time too.

I'd like to try Wellbutrin, I think... so far, anyway... as - judging from personal accounts I've read - it looks the least likely to make a naturally sleepy person outright somnolent.

Yes, it's often somewhat activating. If you have a history of seizures or an eating disorder you won't be able to take it, though. Another often 'perky' antidepressant is Effexor.

Good luck! And I love your cat picture.

Fiona

Yes, wellbrutin or effexor sound like good options but from what i've heard it would be alot easier to wean off wellbrutin than effexor if you don't like the med.

Have you ever tried prozac? It is meant to be the most stimulating of the SSRIs I believe but also the weakest. Then again you didn't like zoloft and that is stronger and just/almost as stimulating I think (could be wrong).

I have also had long runs of diarrhea from paxil, please make sure you keep your potassium up, and I highly recommend taking a magnesium supplement. Diarrhea plays havoc with magnesium and most of us are deficient in  it anyway.

Good luck.  ;)

Yes, wellbrutin or effexor sound like good options but from what i've heard it would be alot easier to wean off wellbrutin than effexor if you don't like the med.

Have you ever tried prozac? It is meant to be the most stimulating of the SSRIs I believe but also the weakest. Then again you didn't like zoloft and that is stronger and just/almost as stimulating I think (could be wrong).

I have also had long runs of diarrhea from paxil, please make sure you keep your potassium up, and I highly recommend taking a magnesium supplement. Diarrhea plays havoc with magnesium and most of us are deficient in

Archived