CrazyBoards.org

Low self esteem

Guest Guest_danna_*

I have very very low self esteem.  I am so tired of it.  I always feel bad about myself and take rejection personally. My childhood was really screwed up and I just feel like there is no fixing it.  Seriously, is it possible to repair damaged self esteem?  Because I'm starting to feel that I will never feel good about myself.

Please, do you have any advice?  I really worry that I won't be able to improve my self esteem...ever...and that is scary.

Yes, it is possible to improve your self-esteem. In fact, getting treatment for the depression and feeling better will help a great deal with it.

I'd really suggest therapy as the most effective way to do this -- it's probably the fastest way as well.

Meanwhile, you are more than worth a place in this world.

Fiona

I have it and it's horribly painful emotionally. Therapy is too expensive where I live. I use a lot of self help books. If you look at amazon.com, put in "self esteem" and see what comes up and read any personal reviews. People will say if it has helped them or not. Also, I think an audio or video tape might have more lasting impact than a book. I'll see what I can find.

I'm sorry that you're feeling badly. I understand I have low self esteem too. Any book by Louise Hay has a lot of good tips for healing and improving your self esteem. It's a hard burden to carry but the fact that you're acknowledging it and wanting to work on it says that you're on a new path and you'll start to heal soon.

Take care~

Lilie

I have this too and I've worked hard and most days I'm fine.  (Today is not one of them, but oh well).  Medication can help, self-help books are great, and I think a great treatment is getting outside in nature.  A park, a garden, a woods, next to a river.  Allow the air to caress your cheek, feel the sun or rain, smell the earth.  See the colors.  You belong here; you, human being, are part of nature.

Please keep connecting.  That helps too.

You're good enough, you're smart enough and gosh darned it - people like you!!

No seriously now.  How old are you?  It took a bunch of time and realizing that no other person can validate me as much as I can.  There is a workout type book called the Self Esteem Companion that I bought but never got into.  It is a workbook, with writing exercises and stuff.  Seemed like a good idea but I am a lazyass and it was too much work for me.  I walk a fine line between comedic self degradation and making myself feel worse.  As you can probably see. 

As for F***ed up childhoods??  Talk therapy baby.  Your head probably isn't working right in some ways, so a good therapist (I liked cognitive) can tell you how to change them. 

Archived