CrazyBoards.org
Sign in to follow this  
pinky_baby

how do i dismiss myself as a patient?

I'm not on disability, but my understanding is that if you're no longer disabled--if you no longer need help, you'd probably be denied further benefits at some point in the future when your case is reviewed. If you want or need to remain on disability, you'll probably have to put up with the inconvenience of seeing the pdoc periodically.

Dismissing yourself from their care would be relatively easy, just tell them you no longer require their services. But there would very probably be consequences to that...you'd probably lose your disability.

Sophia

Hi,

I agree that you could probably just tell the doctor and therapist that you no longer require their services.

How long have you been just fine?

Sunshine Outside

I am on SSDI.

If you are no longer disabled, you need to notify them as soon as possible.

I don't know if you are in the US or what but the SSA can be a bitch if they find someone collecting benefits while not disabled. They demand the money be paid back.

Believe it.

My pyschiatrist was saying something about how the board required him to see me every 3 months at the least.

Um, his board or your board?

Because most state medical boards don't have a set interval for psychiatric visits, to my knowledge. If you were in mandated treatment and licensed through a board of your own, then his statement would make sense.

Anyway, if you want to terminate (non-mandate) care, you can

a/ go in and say, "I think I'm ready to terminate care" and process it in long discussion. Prepare to maybe try reduced visit intervals first.

b/ stop showing up.

A is a better option, because it may leave doors open if you change your mind.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses and the help. I still don't know what I'm going to do. I still have mild ocd and a host of other health issues (graves disease, lupus, etc.). I guess in order to keep getting the health insurance I have no choice but to be tied down to seeing this psychiatrist. Hmmph.

maybe reframe it...calculate how long you would have to work to get the same amount of money, and going to the pdoc might not seem like such a pain.

just an idea...