CrazyBoards.org

What age did you start cutting?

I hope this won't trigger anyone, but I'm curious about what age everyone began cutting.

I began self-mutilating when I was six. I used to systematically grow my nails out, sharpen them through biting, and then slash at my wee little belly. My bellybutton used to be scarred from it. I didn't start using tools until I was about 12, when I cut my neck. It was such a pathetically small cut too, far from the "short sweet suicide" I had planned. It didn't even bleed. Ah, the angsty pre-teen life.

Well, it's been 10 years since I started, and I'm still cutting. It's all very sporadic: sometimes I go years without even scratching a mosquito bite too hard. Then, I'll just bust out and have "fun" with my skin and one of my daggers. There's a few apple-red, half-healed scars on my thigh right now. I love cutting there, no one can tell. It makes it easier that I don't even wear bathing suits, since I don't swim due to another, physical chronic illness. I hate the pain from being a cripple, but I like the pain I give myself when I mutilate. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I was a cutter long before I was a cripple. I'm in a support group for the illness, BTW.

Anyway, enough with the rambling. Attempt to feel at ease, knowing that I'm a cutter like you. Tell me when you started. I'm curious if anyone out there liked it as young as I did.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with Gearhead, @TCHR. No need to take out your frustration on huge swathes of people you don't know. Please stop romanticizing SI before Gear has to have the talk. You don't want the talk. The tal

It is better to tell them than for them to find out some other way, in my case I didn't have a choice because somebody saw my cuts and reported me, then the school nurse was on my case and called home

I cant say I started that young. When I was 10 I used to hit myself with large rocks, I dont know why. I dont consider that part of my self-mutilation though.

I really started when I was about 12. I still cut, on and off. Not for some sort of "emotional relief" or anything though. Not when I get angry, not when I'm sad. Just because.

I guess it's pretty pathetic to say that I really don't remeber if I did or didn't practice self mutilating behavior in my single-digit years...  I know that I pretty much always had the problem of picked my cuticles to the major bleeding point... my parents informed me that it is something I have pretty much always done.  Other than that, I think I actually block out a lot of my life before age 12.  I don't know why....  But, it was at age twelve that I first started cutting my wrists with razor blades.... it progressed from there....

A couple of years ago, I was sixteen.  If I had not done it, I would probably be in prison for murder right now.  That may sound overly dramatic, but I am deadly serious.  Deadly serious.

I had never heard of people cutting themselves at that point,- it was just a natural reaction. 

I think I was 12. Lasted for a while... about 2 or 3 years. Than I hadn't done it for a very long time until about 4 monthes ago. Slipped once, hasn't happened again. Hopefully never again (although I do miss it so.... that's bad, right? But I deal.)

I've thought about it for years. i can't say it was just any one thing. I wanted to see a reminder of the pain I was feeling, something I just couldn't forget when I was feeling better. I don't really know much more than that.

I've thought about it for years. i can't say it was just any one thing. I wanted to see a reminder of the pain I was feeling, something I just couldn't forget when I was feeling better. I don't really know much more than that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I asked because 28 sounded old for starters.

For me, it just happened.  I can rationalise and say that I enjoy the chemical realease, the adrenaline and endorphins, but some it was instictive.

It is a coping tool.

I started cutting at 36.

Thanks heaven for the net, or I would have thought I was even more of a freak than I am. Several doctors have told me I'm odd. A very useful piece of information. *sarcastic smile* Exactly how does it help me to hear that people like me normally don't exist?

I started during my first crazymed trial. Zoloft, drove me up the wall with anxiety, but I didn't know at the time it could be a med side effect, or that me and SSRI's don't get along too well. At first I was scratching myself out of frustration, then out of nowhere I got the thought to cut, and soon I was hooked. Actually, I had no idea other people also did this, took me a year or so to find that out.

I started cutting at 36.

Thanks heaven for the net, or I would have thought I was even more of a freak than I am. Several doctors have told me I'm odd. A very useful piece of information. *sarcastic smile* Exactly how does it help me to hear that people like me normally don't exist?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now this helps me tremedously because I was starting to feel very out of place!

Now this helps me tremedously because I was starting to feel very out of place!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm glad it helped. I know it has helped me when I found out online (on various message boards) that there really are other "oldies" who self injure, and that some started way later than in their teens. I guess you can end up in new and overwhelming crisis situations at any age, or things can pile up until one day you have had enough...

• 4 weeks later...

I started cutting at 9.  Kind of sporatic at first.  Just a couple of times in elementary school, 4 or 5 times in high school, and then it snowballed big time in college.  Now I'm back to being a bit more sporatic.  I feel out of place in most self injury message boards because I'm 30 and still dealing with this.  I feel like I should have grown out of it already. 

I started when I was fourteen. My mom tried to kill herself Jan of 02, and I found her. In March, my craptacular therapist at the time made me see her again. Day after that wonderful session, I cut up my face with a razor blade.

I'm seventeen now. I haven't cut since April, and before that it was November, and before that, it was April of 04. So I'm doing better. I have about 100 scars that are still visible, on my hips and arms and chest.

Some nights I really want to. But I don't. It's worth it to be able to say I don't cut anymore, I guess.

Rose