CrazyBoards.org

What age did you start cutting?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm with Gearhead, @TCHR. No need to take out your frustration on huge swathes of people you don't know. Please stop romanticizing SI before Gear has to have the talk. You don't want the talk. The tal

It is better to tell them than for them to find out some other way, in my case I didn't have a choice because somebody saw my cuts and reported me, then the school nurse was on my case and called home

I think I was 8 when I first remember scratching my arms or banging my head, but it might have started before that (especially banging my head on stuff). Sometimes I would use sharp pencils. When I was a teenager I got into cutting because I knew another person who did it, then I started burning in my 20's. Then I stopped after I got married, promised I wouldn't burn again and kept my promise. I still sometimes bang my head when things get overwhelming to me, though. 

I don't remember much from when I was little do to 2 partial concussions I've had but I used to scratch until I bleed I started at I believe 6 i started cutting around 10 or 11 and have off and on since I am 15 almost 16 now. When did you tell your parents and how did they react, is it better to tell then 

On Thursday, November 24, 2016 at 0:46 AM, AuroraBorealis said:

I don't remember much from when I was little do to 2 partial concussions I've had but I used to scratch until I bleed I started at I believe 6 i started cutting around 10 or 11 and have off and on since I am 15 almost 16 now. When did you tell your parents and how did they react, is it better to tell then 

It is better to tell them than for them to find out some other way, in my case I didn't have a choice because somebody saw my cuts and reported me, then the school nurse was on my case and called home.

It wasn't great, but could of been worse, I suppose my mom was mad and maybe disappointed at me.

• Like 1

When you tell you parents do they send you to doctors and psychologists and stuff and do they put you on meds. How do people act afterwards. How should you tell some one. I have told some people but not a lot my sister and a few friends I don't believe my parents know but they could've figured it out. I believe my brother expects I cut since he accidentally saw some of my scars. My sister somewhat understand she cut a bit when she was a tween but for different reasons than me and it was long a go but I am worried about telling my parents I mean I want to but I don't know how and when would be a good time like now my family is going through a tough time my uncle was currently diagnosed with terminal cancer and I know it's better to tell the yourself instead of someone else, but I dont want to make things worse plus I don't know what they do if they send me to doctors or what do I want to here about what happened when you told them

Edited by AuroraBorealis
10 hours ago, AuroraBorealis said:

When you tell you parents do they send you to doctors and psychologists and stuff and do they put you on meds. How do people act afterwards. How should you tell some one. I have told some people but not a lot my sister and a few friends I don't believe my parents know but they could've figured it out. I believe my brother expects I cut since he accidentally saw some of my scars. My sister somewhat understand she cut a bit when she was a tween but for different reasons than me and it was long a go but I am worried about telling my parents I mean I want to but I don't know how and when would be a good time like now my family is going through a tough time my uncle was currently diagnosed with terminal cancer and I know it's better to tell the yourself instead of someone else, but I dont want to make things worse plus I don't know what they do if they send me to doctors or what do I want to here about what happened when you told them

They will probably want to get you help, which would mean seeing a Therapist or Counselor and maybe a Psychiatrist  (Pdoc) for medication.

You should tell them because it won't get any easier by yourself.

In my case I was the one to ask to see somebody to get help as my mom thought people would just label me crazy and I would be put in a hospital.

Proud dreg of society here. (Is dreg the singular? Woe, I'm just a dreg, how am I to know?)

Anyway, I don't cut. I've done it a few times, but I do a different thing. I've never met anyone else who does the thing I do. 

I think I was ten years old or so when I first started self-harm. It was only minor excoriation then. I stopped self-harming entirely for most of my teens, but I had a different outlet then, and my personality disorders were just beginning to show serious symptoms, so my emotional expression wasn't normal, anyway. 

In my early twenties, I developed a strange obsession with an idea for a particular act of self-injury. I pondered it, building up to it for awhile, before I did it the first time. I was obsessed with it for the better part of two years, and I still do it occasionally now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I started around the age of 15-16. When it started I used to slap my face really really hard until it was red and swollen. I would "mock" suffocate myself with a pillow. I played with the idea of cutting myself, but only ever scratched myself once or twice with a safety pin. This behavior was off/on until my 20's. Then I started to actually cut myself. I also would press on any bruises I accidently acquired, until they became bigger. Thankfully the damage is small, I got intervention before it could become worse. Sorry if that is TMI.

Edited by Poem
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first time I cut, I was somewhere between thirteen and fourteen. But I had been self harming by way of pinching myself and sometimes slapping myself since I was maybe ten or eleven? I stopped cutting from about fifteen to seventeen before starting up again then I stopped again around eighteen and picked it up again at twenty. And last time I did it was about a month ago maybe (I'm twenty one).

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to go into detail, as I don't want to trigger anyone but I only self harmed for a brief period of a few months during my early 20s. Unfortunately, even though it was a brief period, it was quite bad.  Thankfully, I was able to stop after a few months, as I likely would have caused serious injury to myself at some point.  

Edited by Steve223

Hi @LevenThumps. I'm glad you've found us, and I hope you're finding other forms of help, too.

I also wanted to let you know that we generally want to point teens to resources more geared toward toward teens. Please have a look at these resources:

I'm 21 now. I can't remember if it was 6th or 7th grade so around 11-13. I was struggling with depression. And school. And a crappy home life. I cut my legs (shin and calf) some, my wrists a lot. I used to wear like 30 of those rubber bracelets to cover my wrists. Then I started using leather cufflets. 

At the end of 8th grade, so 14, my first serious boyfriend broke up with me. We had dated 9 months and he was my "first." so I took it hard. My parents were divorced but my dad remarried to a nice lady with 3 boys a few years older then me. When I stayed there on the weekends I would drink alcohol from my dads cabinet and just cry or cut. One night the oldest boy took advantage of the fact that I was drunk out of my mind.... It didn't mess with me to much then but now that I'm older I have intimacy issues.... 

Anyway. I cut all through high school. Freshman year I thought I was going to kill myself. Wrote a note and all. When I woke up the next morning I cried, hid the note in case I wanted to try again, then went to school. 

Maybe sophomore year (in not really sure) my dad picked me up, drove me to the gas station where my mom worked, she came on break and they yelled at me for 30 minutes behind the building about "how could you do this!? We know you cut! Do you want to die?!" Luckily I hadn't cut in weeks and everything looked old enough I was able to convince them that I had stopped. But my mom took my door off its hinges so I couldn't "hole up in there and destroy myself." 

Junior year was better. I still cut when I got stressed about stuff. Lost a few friends that year. But nothing major.

Senior year my 2 year boyfriend broke up with me the week before Military Ball (kinda like prom for the rotc kids.) He basicly told me no one liked me, I was to weird, no one wanted to be my friend, etc etc. I was devastated. If someone who "loved me" for the past two years could say or mean those things, what did my other friends think? I called my mom completely devastated begging for her to get me a therapist because he messed me up so bad I didn't know who I was anymore. She said she'd "look into what our insurance might cover" and she never did. Never even spoke about it again.

A few months later I met my now fiance who helped me though things. Not the supportive "I'm here for you way." more like the judgmental "I don't understand why you even do it. Can't you just stop?" Anytime I slip up he just gets all judgy.... So I don't slip up or I hide it... Its hard but he does love me. As long as I'm not feeling depressed or anxious.....

This is way more then asked for but this is my first post. Kind of an intro I guess.

Edited by TearfulSolace
Auto correct kicked my ass.
2 hours ago, TearfulSolace said:

Pardon me if you've already told, but what is this "strange method?"

Welcome, TearfulSolace.

I'm glad you've found CB and in particular this part of CB. We ask people to be more general about methods of self harm here, as we want to support and encourage people to find alternate ways to manage self harm desires and urges rather than sharing different ways to self harm. We figure there's already many sites out there on the web where one can gather that information if they so choose. Please check out the posts pinned at the top of the self harm forum for more info. And welcome aboard.