CrazyBoards.org

Stuck on SSRIs, don't want to be.

I'm currently on luvox, i've been on every SSRI except lexapro one or more times and they used to work great. But for a while i've been having trouble sleeping and SSRIs just don't help with that. At the moment i'm currently surviving on nytol (diphenydramine) and sominex (promethazine), and although im sleeping the quality really isnt that good. I can't rely on sleeping pills. I want a drug (antidepressant) that will help me sleep. Trazodone and remeron (along with paroxetine) both worked but caused eye problems.

Problem is, I don't think its going to be that easy to stop taking SSRIs and move onto a different kind of antidepressant. From what I know the withdrawal from SSRIs is a fairly long and painful process. I don't know if I actually expect anyone to be able to give me advice here, but i'm really stuck.  ;)

As far as a "long and painful" withdrawal, that really depends.  It certainly doesn't have to be.  Especially if you're tapering onto something else at the same time.  So I wouldn't let that part stop you.

Do the SSRI's help with mood issues?  Although I know it's not always easy to know for sure, when you aren't getting a good night's sleep.  What do you mean by "I can't rely on sleeping pills"?  Do they work for you, but you don't want to have to rely on them?  That would at least help sort out whether or not the SSRI's are doing the job they're meant to do.  (In which case you wouldn't want to ditch 'em altogether, right?)  I'm currently on Lexapro; all the SSRI's that I've tried have made me a bit sleepy, but I kind of trend toward that anyway.  Other than that, I find magnesium supplements helpful in getting restful sleep. (This is the sort of help you could expect on the Sleep board I imagine, so I'll shut up  ;) )

It's likely you're not going to be able to tackle everything with one pill.  Have you discussed adding something like Seroquel to your antidepressant?  Sounds like a lot of people get that prescribed just for sleep. 

You're probably not going to find one pill that solves all your problems. If you have a hard time sleeping, then you'll probably need something separate for that. You also aren't really doing yourself any favors by relying on those meds to sleep. Does your pdoc know about this stuff and your trouble sleeping? Why not try something specifically for sleep, like Ambien?

Going off an SSRI depends on the one in question. Some of them require a longer taper than others, but it's certainly possible and there's absolutely no reason for you to feel any discomfort -- beyond the part about losing whatever antidepressant effect it had (and you may be surprised to find that even "not working" it had some).

If the med you're taking works, except for sleeping, then why risk you mood when there are sleep aids available?

Fiona

Maybe try lunesta. I love seroquel for sleep but can't afford it. But either way it sounds like you need to add something. Lack of sleep can mess with depressive symptoms so hopefully you find something soon.

Lilie

Thanks everyone for the response. ;)

Sorry I didn't explain this very well. The SSRIs don't really work for me anymore. I have tried trazodone which caused problems, but I dont know whether that was because I combined it with an SSRI. I am also on seroquel which initially helped me sleep but I had to reduce the dosage because of other unwanted side effects.

Medications such as ambien aren't too great for me because my problem is staying asleep, I am fine getting to sleep initially. I would also like a fairly long term med, which is why I would prefer a sedating anti depressant and something that will not badly effect my sleep architecture.

Archived