CrazyBoards.org

Hi all

Am new to this site, apologies if I've missed the point.

Am starting a new job shortly, and not looking forward to a long period in a classroom, giving presentations to large groups etc.  Currently only taking beta blockers (occassionally), but think I may need something extra on an 'as and when' basis.

Any suggestions for me?

Many thanks . . .

freddie77, welcome!

Klonopin is what I use and find it very helpful. Ativan also comes in a form that you can dissolve in your mouth--it's a low dose so it won't knock you out. We used it with success when my father was dying and would become irrational. It calmed him in a gentle sort of way. Eased his anxiety and ours...

Spike

In the end it depends on two things.

1) How you intend to use it.

2) What your dr is willing to prescribe.

Whilst drugs like xanax and atvian are ideal for casual (eg not daily) usage with immediate effect that is only short term, xanax in particular can be very addictive and difficult to discontinue.

Something like valium (diazepam) or klonopin (clonozepam) are usually the best options for a couple of reasons.

Firstly valium is the easiest benzo to discontinue; essentially its less addictive.

Secondly these benzos are longer acting meaning that repeated dosing within a day is often not required.

Finally, from a psychological perspective, longer acting drugs can be taken as a preventative rather than in response to anxiety and panic.  This is often better because there is not a direct dependence on the drug to calm down - if you build upo a habit of taking the drug in response to a certain feeling, psychological dependence tends to build up more quickly.  When used as a preventitive, it often does not. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the end it depends on two things.

1) How you intend to use it.

2) What your dr is willing to prescribe.

Whilst drugs like xanax and atvian are ideal for casual (eg not daily) usage with immediate effect that is only short term, xanax in particular can be very addictive and difficult to discontinue.

Something like valium (diazepam) or klonopin (clonozepam) are usually the best options for a couple of reasons.

Firstly valium is the easiest benzo to discontinue; essentially its less addictive.

Secondly these benzos are longer acting meaning that repeated dosing within a day is often not required.

Finally, from a psychological perspective, longer acting drugs can be taken as a preventative rather than in response to anxiety and panic.

Archived