CrazyBoards.org

Sperm testing for Bipolar Disorder?

Okay, first of all I'm sick so I apologize in advance if this topic is in the wrong forum or has been discussed already. I did a quick search here but couldn't find anything...

So I go see my pdoc yesterday, and he brought up the subject of mitochondrial DNA testing for BP and perhaps other disorders by testing...sperm.  I did a google search and found a few somewhat related items here and here, but I failed to find this specific testing method.

According to my pdoc, the test is about 300 bucks, and most likely not covered by insurance.  Fortunately, my pdoc says he can "doctor up" a referall for me, thus allowing me to try it. He believes it may help, but he also says that since I'm so "unusual" (read med resistant), it may not reveal anything we don't know already.

Even so, he really went on about it for almost half my session.

So, my fellow BP'ers, my question to you (well, everybody really) is, has anyone else heard of this?

Jerod?

Martin (who is having a hard time visualizing himself with a skin mag and a cup in a bathroom stall for something like this)

edited for spelling errors

So I go see my pdoc yesterday, and he brought up the subject of mitochondrial DNA testing for BP and perhaps other disorders by testing...sperm.

According to my pdoc, the test is about 300 bucks, and most likely not covered by insurance.  Fortunately, my pdoc says he can "doctor up" a referall for me, thus allowing me to try it. He believes it may help, but he also says that since I'm so "unusual" (read med resistant), it may not reveal anything we don't know already.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Martin-

Even if it DID reveal something specific... at this point, I am pretty sure that since you are still trying to find meds [i think?] you have been with him long enough to really focus treatment on symptoms rather than a diagnosis. 

Even if you could get a test that verified that you were definately bipolar, how would that help you at this point?  Many are different despite having the same diganosis, and you would likely not benefit from ''typical'' treatment.

Point?

I don't know WHAT your doctor is smoking, but he shouldn't do it before hours. He should probably know exactly what this test is and what it can and can not do before recomending it to patients, especially if he is going to do referralls which may stretch the limits of some people's insurance coverage.

I don't think it would be beneficial to you.  Something better at this point, if you are continuously resistent to treatment, may be to visit a neurologist for a minimal exam [if you haven't].

And maybe ask why your doctor is eager to get you to take this test...

[you can always *buy* the magazines... ]

~navy~

I'm thinking your doctor may have issues with your issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me thinks the doc has issues, and that Ka-Mai probably isn't the only recipient of the doc's problem.

I'd do a check with the med board.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

6, that was my reaction also...

"According to my pdoc, the test is about 300 bucks, and most likely not covered by insurance.  Fortunately, my pdoc says he can "doctor up" a referall for me, thus allowing me to try it. He believes it may help, but he also says that since I'm so "unusual" (read med resistant), it may not reveal anything we don't know already."

This statement made me suspicious and that probably stems from my experience with my former pdoc The RO.

Does he have ties to the lab that does it? Any offer to doctor up a referral for services can be misconstrued as fraud...or there could be fraud, period.

And if he doesn't expect a valid answer, only a mere chance, what is the point?

Sorry but I also felt his using half your session on this was not ethical. Kinda pushy, wasn't he?!

Spike

and The RO is now under investigation by the State Board

A big thanks to AirMarshall for his excellent work.  As I said earlier, I don't have my wits about me due to being sick and as a result I'm not able to concentrate very well.  Still, in a place like this I'm a little ashamed to bring something to the table without doing a little more research myself.  My bad. . .

I put a call into my pdoc today and I hope when he returns it he will be able to give me some reference material, or at least a link to the lab that does this supposed testing.  I've been with this guy for over 6 years now, and although he is known to be a little on the fringe with some of his methods, he's well respected and we have a pretty good rapport.  He has also helped me with my issues better than my previous pdocs have, and I've gone through quite a few.

6 and Spike both make valid points though. . .it did seem kind of pushy.  I'm going to check him out again and see if I find any bones in his closet.  When I first looked him up I didn't find anything unusual.

I sincerely hope he doesn't have issues with my issue.  I'd hate to have to find another pdoc.

I think Navy hit on the head best though; why not just treat the symptoms instead?  And really, at this point in my life (nearing 40), will I be able to benefit anything from such a bizzare test?  Probably not.  Me thinks I'm better off keeping my pants on.

I will post a follow up when he calls.  At the very least I would like to know where he picked up this information.

Thanks again everyone,

Martin

edited (again) for spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Teddy! How art thou?

My pdoc called me back last week and gave me a few phone numbers, but I've been out of town for the last few days and the issue got put on the back burner.  I called the numbers this morning, but I haven't heard anything back yet.  I'm hoping to hear from someone by tomorrow or Wednesday.

As soon as I have better info I will post it.  Bear with me.

Martin

Part of me feels like, "Well, you've been with him for six years," and then the other part of me is, like, "Why sperm?"

It's just weird.

Well, I'm waiting with baited breath. I wouldn't do it, though, if I were you. I would definitely not take a test for which my pdoc had to "doctor" the referral. Unless you can get an explanation for why sperm has better DNA than blood, like someone else on here said. (Sorry, I didn't read back over everything before posting.)

Archived