CrazyBoards.org

remeron & effexor XR combo?

Guest kartwyl

Guest kartwyl

hi everyone,

i am pretty new to the site and have been on the combination of these two ADs for the last 3 months.  let me give you a little history and then my questions:

i was prescribed meds after 4 months of being on leave of absence from school, due to 'situational anxiety'.  my so called situational anxiety was more like well veiled full blown depression/burnout, which got better, worse, better, than even worse to the point i was planning the steps to end it all.  i saw my doc who quickly started me on 15 mg remeron at night and 37.5 mg effexor xr and after a month bumped up to taking 30mg remeron at night and 75mg effexor XR in the morning.  I have felt stepwise increases in my mood during the day (about every 3 weeks it seems like i hit a higher plateau...somehow reverting back to the sunny disposition i used to have...like years ago...and i feel less jittery and worried)  and finally i can get in a full nights sleep (thx remeron!!) 

however, i am having some weight problems with the remeron.  very insatiable appetite, ie. i am eating a whole bag of cookies in a sitting, or half a cherry pie, or a liter of ice cream.  this is seriously bad news for me because i have been following a mostly lowcarb regimen for the last 3 years (as a side note: after 1 year i lost 60 lbs...15 lost when the depression really sunk in...and then when i started eating again i plateaued and then began gaining a bit...wasnt eating a lot just the wrong stuff, so i gained ~25 lbs back.).  lately, like in the last 3 months on remeron/effexor combo, i have gained 10, lost 7 when i somehow got back on track with my diet, and then ive fallen off and am back up 15 more lbs. my doc is toying with me going back down to 15 mg remeron so curb the appetite but i fear that the sleep/insomnia/waking suddenly in panic in the middle of the night will return.  it is also likely that that lack of sleep will lead to difficulty during the day in concentration, interest in doing stuff, etc. and may lead me back to where i started.  furthermore, the more i gain, the more down i will become again because of my weight...so i guess i would like to know if there are any others on this combo and how long they took it and what effects they felt and how they dealt with the notorious weight issues?  i am working on motivating myself to exercise...but it is hard, very hard.  it is hard enough when you feel on top of things, but even harder when youve just on the cusp of things going well vs. things going back down the tubes.

thanks for reading my novella...

I was on 45 mg remeron and 150 mg effexor for about 1 1/2 years and I put on about 14 lbs but attribute alot of that to drinking.  I used to take the remeron right before going to sleep and with luck I would be asleep within about 15 minutes before the "munchies" started.  If I couldn't get to sleep within 20 mins or so, I would feel compelled to get up and eat something. Now I'm off remeron replaced with risperdol (partially due to my horror over my weight) and started a new eating plan.  I have found that "I can't eat it if I don't have it"--therefore no bags of cookies in the house to go through in one sitting.  I'll still eat a dip or spread that I like but with carrots and celery rather than chips.  I've dropped off on the exercising--but aside from the general health benefits of staying active, you actually will see more results from keeping your food intake moderate and healthy.  It sounds like you already know how to eat, so give yourself a break and keep the snack foods unavailable or just by a 2-cookie pack when you want something sweet. Best of luck.

hi everyone,

i am pretty new to the site and have been on the combination of these two ADs for the last 3 months.

• 3 weeks later...

I hear you guys on the weight issue.  I can't imagine not having my Remeron (I vary between 15-30 mg depending on my anxiety level) because I feel like I never had a decent night's sleep before it, but damn I hate being FAT (30 pounds overwieght).

If it's in the fridge or cupboard, about 20 minutes after popping the Remeron I'm eating it.  I HAVE to start exercising because I'm not giving up my sleep.

Devilla

Here is the deal with remeron: less is more. In other words, if you take 15 mgs. of remeron, it is actually going to be more sedating than 30 mgs.

This may help with the eating, but remeron does have the reputation for being the munchie med. I took it for several years, with success, for anxiety. I took 45 mgs, and I gained almost 25 pounds.

Anyway, good luck, exercise does help. And remember - life WITHOUT the meds is worse.

Breeze

hey sweets....i'm on 75 mg remeron n my doc wanted me on effexor as a kicker but because my best friend was on the combo n had a real bad experience on effexor i refused to take it but my p-doc calls it the calif. cocktail n has had very good responses from patients who r on both. so good luck!!!

oh n gum n diet pop helps with the munchies also throw away the sweets n buy fruits as a sweet substitute! ;)

flutterflyxo

hi.

i was/am on effexor at 225 mg. i've tried various adjunct meds to help me sleep at night  including: nortriptiline, trazodone, seroquel and remeron. i took the remeron at 15 mg for about 2 months but had to stop it because it was given me strange, what i can only call, suicidal ideations (e.g. imagining myself smacking my car into a concrete barrier on the side of the highway). so i stopped the remeron and went back to seroquel (a MUCH better drug for me - by the way i have MDD and GAD).

but weight-wise, yes remeron was a bad drug for me. i read jerod's description of this side-effect of remeron and kind of poo-pooed it thinking i would just RESIST the urges to eat. ahahaha. NOT. i found i had to eat constantly. always needing more food. i did not find ways to avoid it either. taking it just before bed sounds great if you can sleep.

grouse.

i can relate.

i was taking 225mg effexor and 7.5mg remeron.  now i take 75mg effexor and 7.5mg remeron.  and 900mg of neurontin a day.

i have to try really hard to fall asleep in between taking my remeron at night and going to bed, otherwise i will pig out on ice cream and other junk..

effexor is pretty weight-neutral for me.  i want to not have to take the remeron, but even though i can sleep fine without it, even not taking this low dose (7.5mg) makes me more moody the next day and more likely to feel like i wanna die..

the effexor just calms my thoughts and makes me not have an anxiety attack.  but this 7.5mg of remeron is really keeping me off the edge!

hi.

i was/am on effexor at 225 mg. i've tried various adjunct meds to help me sleep at night  including: nortriptiline, trazodone, seroquel and remeron. i took the remeron at 15 mg for about 2 months but had to stop it because it was given me strange, what i can only call, suicidal ideations (e.g. imagining myself smacking my car into a concrete barrier on the side of the highway). so i stopped the remeron and went back to seroquel (a MUCH better drug for me - by the way i have MDD and GAD).

but weight-wise, yes remeron was a bad drug for me. i read jerod's description of this side-effect of remeron and kind of poo-pooed it thinking i would just RESIST the urges to eat. ahahaha. NOT. i found i had to eat constantly. always needing more food. i did not find ways to avoid it either. taking it just before bed sounds great if you can sleep.

grouse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my experience, less was not more when it came to the munchies... just sleeping. I could take as little as 1/4 of a 15 mg tablet and get a great night's sleep. But I'd still eat an entire box of Oreos in one sitting... two if I was premenstrual! Fortunately, I tend to be underweight, so I can stay on it longer than most without the weight gain being an issue.

i find that you can get away with like 1/8th (!!) of a tablet for sleep and not get too much munchies...just me though..

In my experience, less was not more when it came to the munchies... just sleeping. I could take as little as 1/4 of a 15 mg tablet and get a great night's sleep. But I'd still eat an entire box of Oreos in one sitting... two if I was premenstrual! Fortunately, I tend to be underweight, so I can stay on it longer than most without the weight gain being an issue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been on Effexor xr for about 5 1/2 yrs and currently take 600 mg in the morning.  I just started (4 weeks) 15 mg of remeron at bedtime.  That along with 150 mg of clozaril (i've taken that for 2 yrs) was supposed to help with the ever deeping depression and ensure me a good nights sleep.

Unfortunately, it hasn't ;)

I sleep, but it doesn't seem like it is deep.  I have weird dreams and just feel like shit in the morning. I also "feel" very impatient......maybe anxious is the word, and thoughts of suicide are breaking through again.

Should I give it more time? How long did/does the remeron take to kick in?

I'm not on effexor but I am on zyprexa and remeron and talk about serious food cravings. Some people can ignore them or don't gain weight but I'm not one of them/ I've been one remeron for almost three weeks and I'm starting to gain the weight back that I lost from stopping seroquel. ick.

Lilie

california cocktail hehe.. yeah this combination is pretty good i think

i think im going to put the remeron back on board because i am so out of it in life... i mean i can sleep without the remeron now, but i cant seem to get "into" life with just the effexor as my AD.  i have this problem with all the SSRIs, and effexor is the least bad with apathy and it lowers my heart rate and bp, but im not doing good with the life thing without the remeron!

yeah just an update apparently its called "california rocket fuel" according to some book by U. of Colorado doctor.

i'm doing 150mg effexor + 15mg remeron, but I might have to cut the effexor back to 75mg, because of the sweating and stuff.  i'm eating too much right now but that's just the breaks!  oh and i also take 600mg of neurontin a day.

when i meet with my pdoc i will probably discuss trying a higher dose of remeron like 30mg.  i don't really mind the side effects so it shouldnt be a problem.  OTOH effexor kinda sucks with the side effects

ill give an update in a few days on how its working for me, but i would like to know everyone else's experience on the "rocket fuel" hehehe

Archived