CrazyBoards.org

Question(s) Regarding Klonopin

My doctor gave me Klonopin (.5 or 1mg twice a day as needed) for panic attacks and anxiety.  I've never taken Klonopin, but I have taken other benzodiazepines, including Xanax, Ativan, Tranxene, Librium and Valium.

My question is simple: Given that I have had no side-effects from the other medications in this class, is it (somewhat) safe to assume that I will be fine taking the Klonopin?  Note that I hope to not be taking it every day.  My main cause of concern is the side-effect profile, obviously.  It appears to be some rather potent shit.

Thanks.

My doctor gave me Klonopin (.5 or 1mg twice a day as needed) for panic attacks and anxiety.  I've never taken Klonopin, but I have taken other benzodiazepines, including Xanax, Ativan, Tranxene, Librium and Valium.

My question is simple: Given that I have had no side-effects from the other medications in this class, is it (somewhat) safe to assume that I will be fine taking the Klonopin?  Note that I hope to not be taking it every day.  My main cause of concern is the side-effect profile, obviously.  It appears to be some rather potent shit.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have used Ativan, Klonopin, Xanax, and Valium, but not Librium.

I'm very sensitive to meds.  Klonopin is long-acting and potent.  Each benzo has a different feel for me.  Xanax would really knock me out, and then after, I was rebounding from it.

Klonopin is one med I now use very infrequently.  I used to use it regularly.  I think, because of it's long half-life, that when I used to take 2-3 MG per day, it made me depressed.  I used to use it just to sleep. My benzo of choice right now is Ativan.  I have not used Klonopin for over 2 monthes.  I became dependent on it.  Ativan seems to do the trick, I don't use it every day. When I do, it's 1-2 mg.  It seems to work faster and not effect me over the long term. Then again I take Seroquel every day.  I guess that it keeps the Ativan in your system a bit longer.

I have GAD and Bipolar Disorder.  With that said, .5 is not much.  It will probably feel like 1mg of ativan, or a smaller dose .3 of Xanax.

I can tend to make me feel depressed if I take a lot of it, but other wise I like it far better than the other benzos I've been on...I hate to be a worry wort, but I'm not sure if its ever safe to assume that you'll have no side effects on a drug. proceed with caution and I hope it helps with the anxiety

well, since I recently found out that I over used my Klonopin, because of all the stress I've been having, I'm going to tell you, be weary of it.  I've been on Klonopin for four years.  I started out on .5 mg three times a day up to 1 mg three times a day down to 1 mg twice a day.  In July, I over took it, going back to my old dose of using it three times a day.  My doctor wants me off of it altogether, but when he wrote out my script this last time, he gave me two refills.  So I guess I have two more months worth.  I agree it is addicting.  Obviously because I wouldn't have done what I did and went through drug withdrawl from not having it.  When I first started out on it, it did knock me out, but it didn't cause depression for me.  Then my body finally accepted it, now it doesn't have that affect on me anymore.  Just be careful, dear.  It is a longer acting benzo.  And it does help with anxiety.  It has been a life saver for me.  I'm scared to go off if it because it's helped me so much.  It's not as fast acting as Xanax or Ativan, but it works.

Good luck with it and like I said, be careful. 

Elizabeth

i've been on xanax, klonopin, and now valium. as you might know they're all in the same family and klonopin is in-between the others in half-life. as to side effects, for me, klonopin left me fuzzy-headed and dry in the mouth, with some minor tinitus. but everyone's different.

I've taken every single med you listed up there, but most of them were way back when, long before I was dx'd a beeper.  At one time I was taking 25 mgs of Librium 4 to 6 times a day.  Talk about being hooked.

Then several years later, off all that stuff.  I had taken Xanax for about 14 years, prescribed by several docs.  None of them were worried because I was only taking .25 mg 4 times a day.  Then I began waking up in the am, feeling weak and shaky and trembly.  The pdoc said that was withdrawals from the Xanax from going all night without taking more.  She prescribed .5mg Klonopin in the am and at night.  I've been taking just that for 2 years now.  It is great for anxiety and panic attacks.  Both my docs told me the point at which most people become addicted is around a total of 4 mgs of Klonopin daily.  I never feel the way I did with Xanax, like I need some right NOW.  But when I wake up in the morning, I'm ready for that .5mg pill.  Sometimes I forget to take the one at night.  I still have a stash of Xanax...makes me feel I can handle anything that comes my way I guess.

The Klonopin stops the anxiety dead on.  I like it.

No way to know exactly how it will affect you...we're all unique broken machinery, here.

Klonopin works the best for me for the benzos.  Unfortunately I have a weird thing with meds where I only get an effect somewhere around overmedication -- 6mg daily for me.  Insanity, yes.  Titrated up over an 18 month period.

Works better than alcohol for the anxiety, I suppose.  Cheaper, too.

Milage may vary.

Be careful if you have an addictive personality. I'm an alcoholic, loved Klonopin but abused it. Was up to 14gms. daily. my pdoc. forced me to stop. Withdrawal was Hell! I was once in the hospital w/ blood alcohol @ .5 & the DT's were easier than the Klonopin wd. Wish you well-Mike

Archived