CrazyBoards.org

Is it true that an AC .......

I read somewhere- I think  somewhere on this site that if you are taking an anti-convulsant and you stop smoking cold turkey- you could have a seizure and die. Is this true? Is this why my pdoc said when I told her I was going to quit smoking - she said "NO"? mel

I read somewhere- I think  somewhere on this site that if you are taking an anti-convulsant and you stop smoking cold turkey- you could have a seizure and die. Is this true? Is this why my pdoc said when I told her I was going to quit smoking - she said "NO"? mel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"...Talk to your neurologist first and go for patch or nicotine gum reduction if and when you decide to quit smoking.  It can make a huge difference in the clearance of your meds.

...The problem with a drastic change in one's smoking habit is likeliest to cause a problem when dealing with one or more of the enzyme inducing antiepileptic medications (e.g. Tegretol (carbamazepine), Trileptal (oxcarbazepine), Dilantin (phenytoin)) or one of the meds they effect (e.g. Lamictal (lamotrigine), Topamax (topiramate))."

-crazymeds.us anticonvulsant/SUDEP info

I think it really depends on a few things: what anti-convulsant you are taking, how much you smoke a day, how long you have been smoking, why you take the AC,  what your risk of sezure may be.

If you are  going off of anti-convulsants right now very quickly,  you have a tendency to be pretty reactive to the one that you are on, and you mentioned that you wanted to stop a long term, heavy smoking habit cold turkey, your pdoc would have reason to be concerned.

EVEN if only one of these are true... better to play it safe and stop slowly, not all at once.

Your doctor may be overly cautious, but there is probably a good reason to tell a patient to not quit smoking. Ask her. You should know exactly why.

~navy~

Thanks all. Navy- I didn't think to ask her why because I was really happy that a doctor told me not to quit smoking. Then I started smoking more, like it was a prescription or something! I will ask her next week!lol mel

Archived