klonopin, alcohol

i'm taking 1mg klonopin twice daily for social anxiety. i know you shouldn't drink alcohol in excess with benzos, but i'm looking for anyone's personal experience with moderate drinking + klon. i feel better in public these days, but i'd like to go out a socialize and drink a pint or have a drink at a bar or a club... i wouldn't even have been able to visit those establishments before starting this drug.

i asked my psych about drinking + this drug and he said "wouldn't advise it, but it's up to you."

bracing myself for the "you should never, ever, ever drink while using benzos" comments. ;)

Edited by buttface

bracing myself for the "you should never, ever, ever drink while using benzos" comments. ;)
You should never, ever drink while doing benzos.

Okay, I'm a smartass. But seriously? How much faster do you want to get better? If you are truly having the OCCASIONAL drink then you'll be fine. However, if you drink to get trashed even occassionally then you are going to fuck yourself up. Period. Been there, done that.

i'm taking 1mg klonopin twice daily for social anxiety. i know you shouldn't drink alcohol in excess with benzos, but i'm looking for anyone's personal experience with moderate drinking + klon. i feel better in public these days, but i'd like to go out a socialize and drink a pint or have a drink at a bar or a club... i wouldn't even have been able to visit those establishments before starting this drug.

i asked my psych about drinking + this drug and he said "wouldn't advise it, but it's up to you."

I've been taking 0.5 mgs. TID for 4 years and I have a drink almost every day and my doctor knows it.

Usually a beer or two or a glass of wine. Doc doesn't like me drinking the hard stuff.

I use to medicate with a lot of tequila so he doesn't want me to slip back into that habit.

As mentioned, it's a trust issue and an addiction issue between you and your doctor.

I've been taking benzos for a long time so I've developed a trust with my doc.

The 'no benzos with alcohol statement' is really a disclaimer.

Some people can't do it and for them this is sound advice.

Others can fudge, though I wouldn't suggest it.

Never know who you are dealing with.

And good God, man. Don't drive to a bar w/ clonazepam in your system.

SZS

Edited by sun_zoom_spark

I have a glass of wine almost every night and I take from .5 mg to 1 mg of klonopin before bed. Probably not a great idea, but I do it and I have not had any ill effects that I know of.

I never ever drink when I take xanax.

thanks for the responses.

If you are truly having the OCCASIONAL drink then you'll be fine. However, if you drink to get trashed even occassionally then you are going to fuck yourself up. Period. Been there, done that.
i used to get absolutely wasted to allay my anxiety. i don't know if that tendency won't crop up again. i guess i figured the med would 'cover' the anxiety, therefore i could drink like a normal person when i go out - i.e., just one or two drinks. now i realize that's stupid.

One drink once a month or so probably won't hurt you. However, you run the risk with any benzo of overdose because of the synergistic effect with alcohol. You will probably get a lot more drunk than you're expecting, so drink slowly and be mindful of how much the alcohol is affecting you. IMO if you decide to drink, you should at least have a really good idea of how klonopin affects you without alcohol--which means being on it for awhile. If you can't limit yourself to one drink through an evening just to be social, don't even try. It's just not a great idea.

An even better idea is to just get non-alcoholic drinks. Only your bartender will know. Honestly, I don't understand the need to drink when you're out socializing-- I've never had a problem with it-- and friends love the fact that I can be a designated driver. You don't have to be drunk to enjoy yourself.

this is good advice, thanks. i haven't been on klonopin for very long, so i do need to see how it affects me on its own... at some point in the future i might try experimenting with one beer while being mindful of how it affects me, as you said.

non-alcoholic drinks? well, that's no fun. haha, just kidding.

I dont think it is a good idea...my fiance is on it and on thanksgiving he had 3 beers and he acted like a retard (excuse the phrase) he was very strange...but funny. Benzos actually intensify the alcohol I have heard, so one beer may feel like 4 to you. If you are going to drink I would at least stay home and make sure you have some one monitoring you

In theory, a single glass of wine or a beer with dinner at home probably won't cause a problem. It's just that it's very easy to slip up.

non-alcoholic drinks? well, that's no fun. haha, just kidding.

You're sober, your friends and compatriots are not. Connect the dots and hide the negatives. ;)

I would suggest to drink in moderation because of the phenomenon of cross-tolerance which means if your using two or more depressant drugs (i.e. benzos and alcohol) you may develop tolerance for one of the drugs as well as partial tolerance to the other depressant drug. Which just means you might run the risk of needing more klonopin to do the job or more alcohol to feel anxiety-reducing effects.

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest to drink in moderation because of the phenomenon of cross-tolerance which means if your using two or more depressant drugs (i.e. benzos and alcohol) you may develop tolerance for one of the drugs as well as partial tolerance to the other depressant drug. Which just means you might run the risk of needing more klonopin to do the job or more alcohol to feel anxiety-reducing effects.

how often do you reckon you'd have to drink to have this happen? i guess it's impossible to predict. but i'm hoping this only happens to frequent drinkers? like people who have a drink or two every night.

so, not that anyone cares but, i've experimented with alcohol & klonopin since my initial post and so far, 1-3 beers spread out over 1-3 hours seems to be fine for me. it's strange to go from a binge drinker to a drink sipper, but whatever. this cross-tolerance thing scares me more than any immediate effects of klon + alcohol. guess i'll just save drinking for once or twice a month...

I have a glass of wine almost every night and I take from .5 mg to 1 mg of klonopin before bed. Probably not a great idea, but I do it and I have not had any ill effects that I know of.

I never ever drink when I take xanax.

omg i have a glass, or two, sometimes three... hell mabey the bottle!

but for reals i do have wine averaging 2 glasses of chadonnay a night and i take 2mg of klonopin in the am and 2mg of klonopin the afternoon (mostly i just need 1mg of it) and i also take ambein to sleep too!

i DO have to be carefull witht he ambien, when i take i only have time to get some water (or wine lol!), smoke a cigarette, and hop in bed or else crazzzzzy stuff happens!

but if you wanna go out and fun do it!

klonopin saved my life, amen!

Edited by H3AD_TR1P

ok. in reality, you are not supposed to. in actuality, some people do.

the thing to be aware of, though, if that everyone's tolerance varies. what happens to one person maybe not happen to another and visa versa. what happens to you one night might not happen the next, especially since you are a new user.

i really do not see you saying, "ok, i'll abstain from alcohol," but, if you do choose to drink, you really have to be careful. you can potentially end up sick or hospitalized. i don't mean to scare you, but i just thought i'd put it out there.

like someone else said, you arent suppose to but a lot of people are mixing alcohol and benzos.

I mixed them many times in the past (a bottle of wine at least, I know this is very stupid) and each time, it was a direct way to major depression feelings for a few days.

A drink or two is ok according to my Pdoc but I would strongly recommend to avoid drinking more.

• 4 months later...
Guest Jhude

I was prescribed Klonopin 1mg about a week ago because of an very bad event that happened at my work (I work in a prison) with an inmate and another officer.

I didn't know that klonopin did that to you if you drank alcohol. I'm a CHRONIC tequila drinker and I can go though maybe 15 shots a night. I never noticed a change in my drunken-ness, but I did notice that not once did I get nauseous which I commonly did before. It didn't occur to me that klonopin affected you in that way until one of my "friends" came over and saw the pill bottle on my counter top and got excited over it. I asked her what it was and she told me to look it up... here I am.

Can I still drink tequila (not 15 shots like I normally do) when taking these pills? I have to take them twice a day, but normally I only take them once a day in the evening.

Can I still drink tequila (not 15 shots like I normally do) when taking these pills? I have to take them twice a day, but normally I only take them once a day in the evening.

Only if you want to be a overdosed, dead corrections officer. Seriously. Klonopin makes you all relaxed and sleepy so you don't notice you are vomiting and breathing it in at the same time. Hence choking on your own vomit.

It doesn't matter that you take the pills hours before you drink... they last for 8-10 hours.

If you are drinking 15 shots a night, you don't need a website, you need a detox program or an AA group. And likely a less stressful job. My father is a recovering alcoholic. I've seen rock bottom, and almost killing yourself with booze and pills is pretty damn close.

Edited by gizmo

Buttface-

I'm not sure what dosage of klonopin you are taking, but that aside........MAN, 15 shots of tequila per night would likely cause ANYONE to have anxietly and depression from the alcohol alone!

Mixing this with almost any dose of a benzo is just bad news, PERIOD!

Get detoxed first. Engage in a program to get you off the booze. Does your doc know about this? Doubtful!...as I don't think anyone but a quack would prescribe benzos for someone with a chronic alcohol addiction.

Taking benzos after a night of drinking can surely relieve the symptoms of a hangover, but it also sets you up for a tragic cycle of abuse....alcohol which you admit you are already abusing, then comes the cycle of bringing yourself back by using benzos. Very likely the you will become habituated to the benzos whether that's your desire or not. You'll need more to "bounce back" from the continued nightly benging.....the cycle expands and eventually you could find yourself in a broadening cycle.

Your wellness(and possibly eventually your life) are more important! Please seek out a recovery program that works for you, and learn the coping skills that can help you deal with the work situaion without self medicationg......DBT counseling is wonderful for many. Give it a try.

My best to you in your battle, which is likely to only get worse with the combo you're now taking.

Deepster

Edited by Deepster

I think a lot of people here are a little paranoid about the subject matter.

In the end its all about tolerance. If you take a handful of pills and drink more than you normally would on an empty stomach you are going to run into trouble.

If you drink regularly and take your benzos regularly, you will build up tolerance to them (and possibly dependence).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oops

i am 90 days off klonopin / alcohol combo, after rehab unfortunately. i have had high tolerance whole life, pretty solid rock star. was on klonopin rx 6 years, daily drinker... be careful with hard liquor and klonopin.

basically, it's a slippery slope. they are wonderful together, yet, as well highly addictive together. just try to be mindful of the alcohol intake - take a look periodically to see where your rough average intake daily might be of each.

if the klonopin and alcohol each get to somewhat regular elevated intake, be careful. they interact oddly in elevated dosage together. withdrawal is very tough (and dangerous without professionals)

also, this book is pretty cool - The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne. it may have helped me before i lost my way.

take it easy - i wish i had!!!

It's all about tolerance, blah, blah. That's been said so I won't go over it again.

Advice? 15 shots of anything is too much.

I have low tolerance to both, so I will have about a half a beer and already feel somewhat flushed and odd. I'm on .5-1, 2x/d.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I used to do 8-12 drinks a night (scotch, vodka, etc.) while I was on 2-3mg of Klonopin. When I drank this much, I would black out. SCARY!! I'd wake up at 3am with the TV static and only remember events up to about 8pm. Not good.

I stopped mixing the two and things got much better. Now I don't drink at all and only take an average of .5mg of Klonopin every other day. I don't think that 1 or 2 drinks would be that bad, but then it also depends on how much Klonopin is in your system, your body weight, etc.

• 4 months later...

I take Klonopin 4x daily for PTSD and severe anxiety. I used to drink, maybe one or two a night, never looking to get drunk or skunked, just nicely buzzed. The thing is how well do you tolerate alcohol w/out Klonopin? If you are the type that gets swacked after 3oz of wine spritzer, then, alcohol and any other depressant will be dangerous. If you were always able to drink and hold your own while drinking (good judgment and all that...) than Klonopin in the mix won't cause severe symptoms. BUT ------ remember, your body is always changing and your tolerance to things shifts along with the changes. Don't count on last years stats to be true today. If you must drink, start slow, watch the effects, and never drink to excess with benzo's in your system. The two are powerful drugs, respect them, and respect your body and you will be okay.

Mixing alcohol and Klonopin will definitely potentiate each other, you get drunk and silly faster and you pass out or black out that much more quickly.

But as someone who is an alcoholic and still struggling for complete sobriety (I'm not there but it's a lot better than a few years ago) what I have to watch out for is how Klonopin makes it so much easier to drink. After an evening's bender a couple of mg or so of Klonopin completely takes the edge off and I can function normally the next day. No jitters, no fog, no edginess and snapping at people.

Of course that's why it's used for people who are long term alcoholics and have quit to avoid the DT's. But if you have steady access to it, though, then it's easy to abuse it this way.

It's not true there is no cure for a hangover. Klonopin and its like are. Be careful not to fall into that trap.

Edited by cairn

I started taking lorazepam, and then switched to temazepam about 6 months ago, 4 nights a week, small doses, for insomnia. (1-1.5mg lorazepam, 15mg temazepam)

Used to use alcohol instead on those nights that I couldn't fall asleep.

One thing I've noticed about benzos is that they completely remove any desire for alcohol, because of cross-tolerance. I used to be able to have maybe half a mug of hard liquor and I'd fall asleep. Now, basically, any amount of liquor doesn't make me 'drunk' -- I'd likely vomit before the feeling of intoxication sets in.

So essentially, for me, switching from alcohol as a hypnotic to benzos has been a complete success, and the benzos have completely extinguished any desire on my part to ever have another drink again.

I think if I were the kind of person who liked to get drunk -- I'd probably abuse benzos instead. But I don't want to go down that road (even though my Dr. trusts me with 6 month supplies of benzos now....).

It's so easy for us to tell you online that you really shouldn't drink at all while on meds, but we all know that when we go out for happy hour, the majority of us are not ordering water.

I made a mistake in March that landed me in the hospital. I took Xanax before going to a party because my anxiety was so high. It turns out that the Xanax made my tolerance very low. I should have known better than to binge drink after taking Xanax, but sometimes I think I can defy the laws of science. (I'm pretty damn stubborn.)

Since then, I have stopped binge drinking completely. Sure, there are some nights that I get pretty tipsy, but never to the point where people should be concerned about me. I also always make sure that I have not taken Xanax during the previous 6 hours or so.

My doctor has prescribed me Xanax and temazepam for sleep for my insane insomnia. Lately I've been on a wine-tasting kick, so I usually have a glass after work. Two at the most. To be honest, the benzos and alcohol don't affect me like they used to, but perhaps it's just because I'm being more cautious.

My doctor gave me a prescription for clonazepam today, so I'm a little nervous taking 3 benzos. I've always been afraid of them simply because I don't want to get addicted (even though I've been taking them for a year with zero problems) and I would prefer to take other things for my anxiety, but they work for me, and I'm very careful about using them. Hopefully, the clonazepam will decrease my use of Xanax as it will keep me at a steady level all day.

Do I think a drink or two will hurt? Probably not. (Keep in mind how many ounces are in your drink... if you have an 8 ounce glass full of bourbon, that does not equal one drink! It will taste superb and it might be fun until the inevitable hangover, though!) I've talked to my psychiatrist about this at length as I'm 23 and just started a new job with people my age, so happy hour is always in the equation. He says that as long as I drink moderately, I should have no problems. However, when I start a new medication, I do hold off on drinking for a little bit just to get used to how I feel on the medication and how it affects my brain/judgment/drinking/etc. And before I have a drink or two at a bar after starting a new medication, I stick with water at happy hour and have a drink or two at home so I know how the alcohol affects me on my medication. (This will be especially important for me since I will be relying more on clonazepam than alprazolam and the half-lives are very different.)

Wow. I was planning on answering your question, but I just posted a personal journal in here. I just took my first Klonopin today, so I am also feeling a little nervous. As long as you're not drinking in a drastic manner, I would assume that you will be fine, simply because that is what my doctor told me. However, I don't know your history and background, so you might want to ask your pdoc about how often you can drink alcohol responsibly and how much is safe for you to consume. Everybody is different. And don't worry, pdocs won't judge about drinking. Hell, if I had that job I'd be drinking about three glasses of scotch on the rocks each day!

...And I just realized this post was from 2008. A year ago exactly. I'll post this anyways as it's a relevant topic for most of us. I know it is something I worry about often, so I can't be the only one who has heard solid advice from their pdocs. If anybody else has any advice about this topic, I personally would love to hear it.

Edited by daisy

Yeah, I'm on .5mg klono 3x per day. I've had very few drinks on my meds, just trying to be cautious. I know I can have one or two drinks and feel okay, and I've never had more than that. I asked my p-doc about it and he said a drink or two here and there is okay, but that it's a terrible idea to get totally shitfaced(not his exact words, but my take on it)

So, yeah, a drink here and there for me, never that much, I'm very cautious about it as I'm not supposed to drink much on either of my meds, so that's what I've heard and my experience in the matter.

My doctor gave me a prescription for clonazepam today, so I'm a little nervous taking 3 benzos.

That strikes me as odd, a doctor (I'm assuming the it's the same one) prescribing three benzos at the same time. I'm curious how come?

I take 2mg a night, for anxiety. From my experience, it takes hard effort to get drunk or even tipsy. I start vomiting before I feel 'good'. I'll vomit a few times, carry on drinking, vomit some more and pass out. NOT GOOD!

Previously I could drink a bottle of vodka a night, followed by a bottle of wine later on without passing out, a bit of cotching maybe, but nothing that leaves me epicly forked. Now I'm down to two one quart of beer and the vomiting starts.

Edited by Slicey

Look, the klonapin and benzo warning is so clear, it's one of the ones that they put a sticker right on the bottle.

Come on, people, this isn't hard.

Mix enough benzos and alcohol (and it's totally unpredictable, even from night to night, what exactly that mix is going to be) you wind up with a nice dirt nap.

Personally, I think you need to make a commitment when you are taking benzos, and part of that commitment is to not drink, not abuse them, etc.

Anna

My doctor gave me a prescription for clonazepam today, so I'm a little nervous taking 3 benzos.

That strikes me as odd, a doctor (I'm assuming the it's the same one) prescribing three benzos at the same time. I'm curious how come?

I was taking alprazolam and temazepam for insomnia. I have the most intense insomnia of anybody I've ever talked to, so two prescriptions for sleep really isn't that abnormal for me. However, my anxiety has become quite a bit more of a constant state instead of the random peaks it used to be. Now I will be taking 1 mg clonazepam instead of the alprazolam at night, and will take 0.5 mg of clonazepam twice a day instead of taking 1 mg of alprazolam whenever I feel like I need it. He is keeping the prescription for the alprazolam in case I have a panic attack or a really high peak of anxiety, so I don't think I will be using it much anymore. I never went through my entire prescription anyways. Besides that, I was actually in the most comfortable state today after taking the clonazepam. I don't know if I've ever felt like this in my life... barely any anxiety at all. Xanax has been one of the three drugs that have changed my life, but I am ready to cut back on it ASAP. If I keep responding to the Klonopin so well, I hope to get off of Xanax completely. My needs are just changing and we're trying to adjust to that. Don't worry -- I'm not popping pills every five minutes! ;) My pdoc knows how responsible I am with my medication, and I appreciate that he trusts me to use it all as directed, since I know benzos can be abused. (I think he trusts me because I have so much anxiety about getting addicted to Xanax that I often don't take it even when I do need it!)

Long story short, I'm hoping the benzos will go down to two - one for anxiety and one for insomnia.

Look, the klonapin and benzo warning is so clear, it's one of the ones that they put a sticker right on the bottle.

Come on, people, this isn't hard.

Mix enough benzos and alcohol (and it's totally unpredictable, even from night to night, what exactly that mix is going to be) you wind up with a nice dirt nap.

Personally, I think you need to make a commitment when you are taking benzos, and part of that commitment is to not drink, not abuse them, etc.

Anna

Anna,

I personally think that it's a great commitment. With all of the medications we are all on, we shouldn't be adding alcohol to the medication mix. Could I give up alcohol all together? Sure. No problems. I would miss my glass of red wine some nights and the occasional happy hour margarita, but I can quit alcohol without any problems. I've never had issues with substance abuse. In fact, that's why I discuss this with my pdoc often. I get worried about it, even though I don't drink much. (I had a bad experience, and I sure did learn from it!!!)

My pdoc tells me (and that's just ME -- because everybody is completely different) that I can drink moderate amounts of alcohol without worrying. He did make sure to mention not to binge drink, which was a no-brainer for me. However, because I don't drink often and I don't drink much, he believes that it is safe for me to drink a moderate amount when I would like to. Then again, he also knows how anxious I am about abusing any drugs, even though I have no history of substance abuse, so I think he has enough trust in me that I will be incredibly cautious about my intake.

Ideally, we shouldn't add any drugs like alcohol to our systems. But I follow my doctor's orders and I am very careful -- probably too careful and anxious about it. However, I enjoy my red wine (which is actually good for me!) and the occasional beer or margarita at happy hour. It comes down to selfish reasons... I just don't want to give up those things, especially the happy hours we have twice a month... I am beginning to make friends, and that alone will probably help my anxiety and help me to cut back on medication.

I think it's great that you've made that commitment to not drink, as it seems like now that I'm an "adult' (I'm only 23, so not really QUITE there yet), social events seem to totally revolve around alcohol -- even more so than in college and in my sorority. Until my pdoc tells me otherwise, I will have a couple of drinks on occasion. (I never have more than 3. Having 2 is rare for me... and this is coming from a girl who used to order 5 tequila shots at the beginning of the night and take them straight in a row... before I started with the bourbon... - obviously I was not on benzos at this point!!!)

There is one thing I never do, however. I NEVER drive if I've had three drinks. One to two drinks never seems to affect me in any way, but I am very careful when I've had more. Even if I feel perfectly fine, I'd rather pay for a taxi than live with the idea that I hurt somebody in a car wreck.

I know it probably sounds like I'm arguing with you, but I actually really admire the fact that you have taken that commitment seriously. Even if you have no ties to substance abuse or addiction, it's hard to keep up with it in our society, which seems to revolve around booze. Kudos!

Don't worry -- I'm not popping pills every five minutes!

LOL. That's good. They don't last very long that way. ;)

I'm glad you're finding something that works for you. It's too bad it takes so much experimenting around.

• 2 weeks later...

I take Alprazolam ER 2mg twice a day for panic and anxiety disorder. If I drink, I limit myself to beer only, and try to keep at 3max. 3 beers and i feel plenty good on xanax (alprazolam). My doc knows I have a couple now and then, he said stay off the hard liquor. I have made the mistake of having 6 beers within like 2 hours, which caused an eruption of vomiting and a full day after of feeling like crud.

Personally, benzo's and booze have never been a real problem for me. They were only involved in 3 of the 7 DUI's I've had over the past 36 years. That's less than half.... and that's the honest to God's truth.

But I don't drink no mo!! wacko.gif

Seriously, please be careful.

wp

• 1 month later...

Klons are great with Alcohol but better make sure your not a black out kinda of drinker or lose control because you tend to lose sense of contiesness(spelled)! Basically you dont care what you say or do in public when on klons and drinking.

Klons are great with Alcohol but better make sure your not a black out kinda of drinker or lose control because you tend to lose sense of contiesness(spelled)!

There are other issues with being a "a black out kinda of drinker" than just adding klonopin to your party mix.

Whatever kind of drinker you are, the combination is still quite capable of removing your further input from the genetic pool.

Basically you dont care what you say or do in public when on klons and drinking.

Like try to drive? I'll bet that's a load of fun for innocent bystanders.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fred Giersmann

There is another problem with the Klonopin and alcohol mix. Over a period of a few hours, alcohol actually removes much of the Klonopin that is in your bloodstream. The result is rapid Klonopin withdrawl -- which is a very unpleasant experience for anyone who is dependent on Klonopin for anxiety. In sum, having three or more drinks will drain Klonopin from your system. Within hours, alcohol will induce anxiety, panic, and all of the nastiness that Klonopin smooths out. How do I know? I have been taking Klonopin non-stop for 15 years at various doses. Over that time, I have made more than a few mistakes with drinking. Before I started taking Klonopin, it was not unusual for me to go out and have eight or nine drinks per night. Since I started the Klonopin, I've been through some drinking phases, and I also quit drinking for a six year span. I have also received a great deal of medical advice, and I have done endless research. I think that the overdose posts are a bit overstated -- I can offer living proof of that. On the other hand, 21 years of experience with anxiety and 15 years of experience with Klonopin have taught me that alcohol is jut not a very good drug. Why avoid alcohol? Because it just doesn't work. It does more harm than good. When it comes to alcohol and serious anxiety, there are simply much better ways to tame the fear and keep the dread at bay.

• 5 months later...
Guest Eduardo

I've been taking 1mg of Klonopin in the morning and 1mg at night since 2 years. I had to stop drinking because, first of all I never remembered anything i did during while i was drunk. My friends tell me that sometimes i get really aggressive and sometimes extremely retarded...ive lost friends, been involved into fights and even lost my gf...so DO NOT DRINK WHILE TAKING KLONOPIN. It will f your life...(sorry for the grammar, English is not my first language) ;)

• 1 month later...

I been on kolopin fir a week. I've been drinking. 3 drinks n Im trashed! I forget the things I do. Make sure u r with people u trust. Don't even leave your house with your car if u r go na drink on it. Becareful!!

I been on kolopin fir a week. I've been drinking. 3 drinks n Im trashed! I forget the things I do. Make sure u r with people u trust. Don't even leave your house with your car if u r go na drink on it. Becareful!!

Just so everyone knows, it's a bad idea to drink while on benzos. It's best to not do it.

• 1 month later...

i can't believe this thread has been posted on for two years going. 2 years after i made this thread, i still take klonopin daily, and order virgin drinks. i experimented with alcohol for a bit, had a couple blackouts but also, unbelievably, crushing panic attacks while drinking (that possibility never occurred to me). obviously not worth it. don't mix benzos and alcohol.

i can't believe this thread has been posted on for two years going.

It just goes to show that there's always someone new to come along, with the same questions and concerns.

i still take klonopin daily, and order virgin drinks. i experimented with alcohol for a bit, had a couple blackouts but also, unbelievably, crushing panic attacks while drinking (that possibility never occurred to me).

That's the first I've heard of that happening too. :blink:

• 1 month later...

I so prefer benzos to booze, man. No hangovers, no falling over, I actually feel calm, and I don't do dumb shit.

One is treatment, the other is substance abuse.

Treatment and substance abuse never mix well but combining certain things is just.... Well, stupid or suicidally inane. Not insane, inane. It's a dumb way to go, and I try to muster up some freaking sympathy and all that but it's really hard.

I mean, if anyone lives in this day and age and doesn't know to not mix benzos and booze I feel sorry for you. Unfortunately, we get a new generation all the time I guess.

At least there are no more thalidomide babies, so it's not like mistakes aren't made.

But... there... is so much evidence of it's inanity, that I just find it hard that anyone over 12 doesn't know this. I can undestand the addiction or the cheap thrill part, but asking about it like it's not a problem? Or, news to anyone?

Eh. Denial I guess....

Anna

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Charlie

I've been taking 0.5 mgs. TID for 4 years and I have a drink almost every day and my doctor knows it.

Usually a beer or two or a glass of wine. Doc doesn't like me drinking the hard stuff.

I use to medicate with a lot of tequila so he doesn't want me to slip back into that habit.

As mentioned, it's a trust issue and an addiction issue between you and your doctor.

I've been taking benzos for a long time so I've developed a trust with my doc.

The 'no benzos with alcohol statement' is really a disclaimer.

Some people can't do it and for them this is sound advice.

Others can fudge, though I wouldn't suggest it.

Never know who you are dealing with.

And good God, man. Don't drive to a bar w/ clonazepam in your system.

SZS

Yeah i am like you. I have taken them a long time and every night I have a couple beers or a glass of wine. never bothers me. Usually though I need them for work-so by the time evening rolls around It is about 8-10 hours since Ive taken one-although sometimes maybe only 6 or so hours. If I take a benzo for sleep then I usually wait at least three hours after the two drinks.

• 1 year later...

I have been taking Klonopin for several years. I often drink to the extreme - several nights a week. I take my Klonopin in the evening (.5 mg) but I don't take it when I've been drinking. Fortuantely I have had no ill effects but with all the people that are dying due to mixing benzoes and alcohol has me a bit nervous. I wonder if they are taking more than they are suppose to or if its just from being on it.... I have a problem with alcohol and I know that its not good to drink it with all my pills. But am I really in danger for taking .5 mg a day (when I don't drink) and drinking???

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I'm an occasional drinker and generally don't have more than one drink, and if I have one drink, I don't even think about driving, drunk or not.

I used to binge drink, and the hangover is so much worse on meds.

Alcohol can really affect the effectiveness of medication in your system.

If you're drinking to fall asleep at night, you might consider the fact you have a problem.

Y'all know about the "synergistic" effect, right???

1 + 1 = 12

Both alcohol and benzos are central nervous system depressants.

It's dangerous to mix these because you can do Really Exciting Things like

-increased risk of blackouts

-increased risky behavior while blacked out (ie more likely to die accidentally)

-choking on your own vomit

-stop breathing

Whitney Houston, for example.

"The more you know..."

ETA: Missinpieces, nobody can accurately tell you on this site, or elsewhere whether or not its safe to take in any amount of alcohol plus any amount of benzos. There are so many variables, including your body size, body composition, what else you're digesting, your metabolism, etc.

Edited by Wooster

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I didnt read all of the previous posts, but I take 1mg twice daily, the later dose being between 4 and 5 depending on the day. So I feel like I can still in moderation enjoy a beer or two and it wont kill me. I have never had anything weird, or done anything weird while drinking and been on this med. I am usually very carefull about my drinking and my meds anyway, but that doesnt mean I havent had a bad night or two and had a few too many. I am still here thoguh. But again I say moderation is key not only with this class of drugs, but with any Psych meds. Many say in the info limit alcohol. Personally I would try having a beer at home first with a few friends over just to make sure it doesnt make you all weird or something.This is just my opinion.

• 5 weeks later...

You can do it, you can do whatever you want. Klonopin, in my experience, is one of the worst benzos for a drinker to be one. It only takes a a couple drinks for major amnesic and paradoxical effects to occur. My advice: Slow down on the drinking, don't take the Klonopin when you know you're going to be drinking, or switch a lighter benzo (Librium, Serax, Tranxene) at lower doses. You will regret it eventually, no matter how fun it seems now.

• 1 year later...

I take up to 6 mg of klonopin every evening and I drink about 6-8 beers. I also drink a lot of water, eat healthy, and I stay fit. I do not advise it to anyone because you do black out and it can be scary. It only makes me want to self harm or beat the shit out of someone. Never positive effects.

• 5 weeks later...

As people have already said, the biggest concerns are respiratory depression, cross tolerance and possible increased risk of having a seizure/going into withdrawal depending on how many milligrams you take and how much you drink. I personally wouldn't risk it, especially since most people aren't on just a benzo and therefore it's going to multiply the stated risks and/or add new ones to deal with.

Also, from personal experience, the few times I have mixed the two, I've become incredibly sedated and it's a pretty dangerous situation, especially if you're going to a bar alone and driving home or even walking.

Edited by peacelizard

• 1 month later...

I know it is an old thread and I have read all the posts.

Here is my situation, I work as a brewer so tasting beer is in my job description.  That being said I don't drink much or to an excess.  I am not concerned so much about blackouts and that type of stuff, because I have a solid alcohol tolerance, limit myself to two beers per night, but I am concerned about the idea of sudden death from respritory depression.

I take .5 mg of Ativan generally once a day.  If I have to take it twice I don't drink.

However should I be concerned if I have to have a beer or 2 for work while having taken .5 mg's of Ativan earlier in the day?

I plan on asking my psychiatrist who knew about my job prior the script, but figured I would ask here for some opinions.

Thanks all!

Sudden death from respiratory depression usually only happens when you're taking "rock star" levels of benzos and alcohol as far as I understand.

It's a great idea to talk about your concerns with your pdoc to get official medical advice relevant to you.

I like that you're being smart about the "synergistic" effect of alcohol and benzos. 

I'm guessing your doc might say something like, "It's probably pretty ok, but you shouldn't drive. And make sure you have someone with you the first time on the off chance that you get loopier than expected."

I know it is an old thread and I have read all the posts.

Here is my situation, I work as a brewer so tasting beer is in my job description.  That being said I don't drink much or to an excess.  I am not concerned so much about blackouts and that type of stuff, because I have a solid alcohol tolerance, limit myself to two beers per night, but I am concerned about the idea of sudden death from respritory depression.

I take .5 mg of Ativan generally once a day.  If I have to take it twice I don't drink.

However should I be concerned if I have to have a beer or 2 for work while having taken .5 mg's of Ativan earlier in the day?

I plan on asking my psychiatrist who knew about my job prior the script, but figured I would ask here for some opinions.

Thanks all!

Just to back up what wooster said. I think you're fine.

1) you arent drinking heavily. Not even close really.

2) .5mg of ativan is a pretty low dose. 

3) I wish I had a job where I tasted beer all day. Sign my ass up!

Edited by quiet storm