CrazyBoards.org

cross tapering from Effexor XR to Cymbalta?

Cymbalta kicked in faster than any med I've been on.  It also had the worst startup side effects of any meds I've been on.  Cross-tapering should get all the hell out of the way pretty quickly.

It shouldn't suck as bad or for as long as if you were going from effexor to nothing.  It's still going to suck though.

If you were going to take the Prozac to take the edge off the discontinuation you'd have needed to start a low dose, 10mgs or so, 2-3 weeks before you started the taper.  There is no point in throwing it into the mix now. It would only confuse things. 

Once you've been on 60mgs cymbalta for a couple of weeks you should start feeling dramaticly better.

Thank you for your reply.  I didn't take the cymbalta yesterday but think I am on my way in there to take it now for today.  I have to be honest, the "brain zaps" that I have read about on here scared me away from the cymbalta.  I have three kids to take care of on my own so all of this is pretty scary for me to think I am going to go through all of this hell I read about.  I guess I better do what the pdoc and you said, I trust your experiences here.  Thank you again, I appreciate it more than you know.

I'd take 15mg Cymbalta for a few days before dropping down on your Effexor dosage, so that you know what is Cymbalta side effects & what is Effexor withdrawl symptoms. Don't take Prozac at any stage, only use Prozac if you are trying to drop AD's entirely. If you get brain zaps, I would increase Cymbalta until the zaps go.

Archived