CrazyBoards.org

Zyprexa-Does anyone take more than 20 mgs?

this prolly doesnt help, but my boyfriend takes 20mgs zyprexa at night. he takes 10mgs 1hr before bedtime, and 10mgs 2hrs before bedtime so he's not so tired in teh morning. he takes other things iwht it though =/

I have been taking 10 mgs at night and sometimes when I get really panicked I'll take another 10 during the day. Does anyone take more than 20 mgs a day? If so how does it work for you?

Lilie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maximum dosage is 20 mgs. If you are experiencing tachycardia, tremor or nausea- they may be interpreted as or induce panic or anxiety  -they are all possible side effects of Zyprexa. They do not always occur.

It does sound like you have had trouble making the Zyprexa work for you in general[from your other posts]. You should  talk to your doctor about possible alternatives.

"For bipolar mania Lilly recommends starting at 10-15mg once a day.  If no improvement is seen go up to by 5mg a day to a maximum of 20mg a day."

http://www.crazymeds.us/zyprexaSideEffects.html

I have an appointment with my doc on Monday. She wants to start me on remeron. I have prescriptions for xanax and ativan but ativan barely works and xanax gives me monster headaches.  Hopefully I'll find something that works soon. Thanks for the info.

Lilie

I have been taking 10 mgs at night and sometimes when I get really panicked I'll take another 10 during the day. Does anyone take more than 20 mgs a day? If so how does it work for you?

Lilie

Maximum dosage is 20 mgs.

http://www.crazymeds.us/zyprexaSideEffects.html

Actually, Navy...not so.  My fiancee ended up at 30 mg a day.

Which, BTW, did nada for her.  And *still* didn't make her sleep.  Talk about YMMV, eh?  (Whereas 3 mg of Risperdal knocks her out like a bat upside the head...)

So, it's possible to go over 20 mg a day, but of course it depends on the why and whether or not it's working.  If you're taking it for, i.e., panic--perhaps not so much.  Voices telling you to murder your family and the guy who just glanced at you in the grocery store...mebbe a wee bit more.  And yes, watch for the side effects (of which my fiancee effectively had none, aside from the whole weight thing).

Actually, Navy...not so.  My fiancee ended up at 30 mg a day.

Which, BTW, did nada for her.  And *still* didn't make her sleep.  Talk about YMMV, eh?  (Whereas 3 mg of Risperdal knocks her out like a bat upside the head...)

So, it's possible to go over 20 mg a day, but of course it depends on the why and whether or not it's working.  If you're taking it for, i.e., panic--perhaps not so much.  Voices telling you to murder your family and the guy who just glanced at you in the grocery store...mebbe a wee bit more.  And yes, watch for the side effects (of which my fiancee effectively had none, aside from the whole weight thing).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anything I found said either a maximum of 20 mgs or said that safety wasn't proven for dosages over 20 mgs.

Of course that doesn't mean that people don't take more than the  "proven" dosages for a lot of things. [With their doctor's approval]

agreed... I don't think it is a good idea for anxiety or panic.

~navy~

I know doctors that have prescribed 40 mgs, and say it within psychiatric guidelines.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not doubting CNS-

I haven't found any guidelines that would approve of/recommend doses over 20mgs.

In the PI Sheet it is written repeatedly 'The safety of doses above 20 mg/day has not been evaluated in clinical trials."

This doesn't strike me as a guideline necessarily deeming a larger dose appropriate, though some doctors obviously make that decision.

~navy~

[who still thinks lilie would be much happier with another med]

Indeed, safety not *proven* over 20 mg.  Meaning, of course...kids, don't try this at home unless you really really need to!  And thinking about it...not necessarily a good idea to be on that dose for long term either, though that sort of thing may be OK for short term smackdown of really NASTY psychotic stuff.  Then taper down to a maintenance dose.

I was also reminded by Jerod that how fast you metabolize it could also be a factor, so there ya go with that.  (S'all good, I didn't need that part of my brain anyways, doc...)

Basically if you find that most, if not all meds, don't work or continue to work until you come close to, reach or exceed the maximum dosages - then your liver is made of titanium and runs on all cylinders 24/7.

Ah, yes--titanium liver, that explains it!  The night I met my fiancee, she drank us all under the table.  And had never had more than a few beers in her life.

"But honey-- I really DID think Applejack tasted like apples!"

My liver hurts just remembering that night...

Archived