CrazyBoards.org

Hey,

Has anyone else experienced weight gain on effexor? I've put on 15 kilos(!) since I started it. It's horrible. I hate it. It's summer time and I want to layer my clothes but I can't! I would also love to go to the beach and not be so self-conscious too.

I know it's possible to put on weight because of anti-depressants, but I just wanted to hear from others who have as well. I got a big shock yesterday when I tried on all my pants and only one pair fit - my fat pants! I remember some of them being too big at some point.

I really want to decrease the dose, or try another one.

Anybody else?

Cheers,

S.J.

SJ,

Effexor XR (225mg) was weight neutral for me. I was able to lose weight on it, in fact with not that much difficulty. (IOW, I didn't have to work out like a demon, I could just curtail the deserts). Lexapro and Seroquel are the two that are seeming to keep me fat.

Is the Effexor helping you? A lot? If so, then consider maybe stepping up (or starting) your work out. It's summer, take Buttons for a walk. ;)

i experienced the opposite effect while taking effexor (to a rather unusual degree probably). but while taking remeron, lexapro, risperdal, zyprexa, and... something else now i can't remember... yeah the weight gain was rather impressive (not). sorry you've got that happening there too.

those meds didn't work for me, so i didn't end up staying on any of them anyway. but i think the one thing that would have minimized the weight gain is exercise, or just plain moving, more often. i became very sedentary while depressed, and even more so on those meds due to the lethargy. i don't know how i could have kicked my ass into getting out of bed more often, but i think it was probably a key factor.

if the effexor's working for you, i'd second staying on it anyway. maybe there's a way to change at least some of what's happening, even if it isn't possible to stay the same size you were. i hope someone's got good ideas for you on how to do that.

Yeah effexor has been pretty good for me. Looks like I'll have to head back to the gym fuck it. I might start to enjoy it who knows. I just hate the thought of going and nothing happening. I've had that experience on some meds. No matter what you do the weight won't shift. That really sucks ass.

I lost weight on all the SSRIs and SNRIs (including Effexor) that I took. Some people say that the weight gain can start creep up on you after you've been on an antidepressant for a few years. I don't know whether that's true. I admit that I haven't stayed on a single drug for longer than two years (because I thought I was "cured"--I know better now).

Well guys, I went to my shrinko yesterday and told her my woes with weight, and she's decided to give me a go at cymbalta. I would LOVE it if it made me lose some weight.

PLEEEEEASE OH PLEEEEASE!!!

Anyhow, we'll see how we go on this.

Anybody can good/bad experiences on it? Would love to know, especially if you lost gained/weight.

Cheerio.

Cymbalta and Effexor are like sisters. I gained more weight on Cymbalta than I did on Effexor. The really nice thing about Cymbalta is it helps a lot with neuropathic pain if you happen to have any of that. Some people lose weight on it. I did initially, then the balloon effect took over. Farkin drugs.

BTW: where did you get a picture of my ass??? ;)

I lost half a stone on efexor. Being already underweight and borderline-anorexic at the time, this was weight I could ill afford to lose.

Remeron helped me put back what I lost, and my weight has remained stable at a just-above-underweight bmi in the 3 + years I've been on it.

I lost weight when i started effexor xr. I usually do lose weight with a new med. But that could be due to the fact that when I get a new med I'm a mess and I don't eat much when I'm a mess. Effexor typically makes people lose weight, but the opposite could happen. Most people gain weight with paxil and I lost a lot. Hopefully cymbalta does the trick. The antipsychotics are terrible with weight gain. Hit the gym anyhow. That is supposed to be very helpful for mental illness. It helps me feel like less of a slug.

Archived