CrazyBoards.org

Where else can I go

withing

Everything hurts. I mean everything. My knees hurt, my back hurts, my ankles hurt, my hands hurt, my head hurts, my jaw hurts. Everything. I can barely walk because my knees hurt so bad, and it was torture to do laundry today. Bending, lifting, folding, etc... But laundry isn't going to do itself, and I'd already put it off for too long. Remember, I live on the third floor, so carrying things up and down the stairs wasn't easy either.

But, I'm tired of coming on here and complaining about how much I hurt, and I'm certain that y'all are tired of hearing about it. I don't want to keep bitching about it to everyone here either. I put on a brave face in front of my friends (most of the time, yesterday they got a taste of me in pain I'm ashamed to say). My daughter hears me when I say my back or knees hurt, but I don't think she realizes what that really *means* because she certainly doesn't do anything to make my life easier (little things like not shoving my food to the back of the refrigerator). I know she's young and her world still revolves around her, that's why I truly think that she's unaware that I'm in PAIN.

Anyway, I've tried to find some online support groups for chronic pain, but they (in my humble opinion) *SUCK*!!! ;) They're all "happy, happy, joy, joy, things will get all better if you're just positive." or "The government is out to get us, and we have to unite against them (paranoid much?)" So if anyone here has found a support group for chronic pain? I don't want to keep griping here... I feel guilty about it.

I can't help with finding any support groups, but I think you should just go ahead and complain about it here, where you are safe from both the think-positive-and-it-will-magically-go-away and the government conspiracy theorists. I'm not tired of it (or you) and I doubt that it's bothering anyone else.

I wish I had something more helpful to say.

You could try forums affiliated with hospitals. I feel for ya. My knees are hurting really bad the past few days and it hurts so much. Getting up from a chair is excruciating! I hope you can find some resources to help you. I may have to see a doctor, but I'm only 35 dammit! Aren't you fairly young as well? It sucks!!

patheral, i don't remember if this has been discussed before, but have you looked into the med Lyrica? It seems to help with fibro pain. I take Cymbalta (SNRI) which helps with fibro pain, but I don't think you can take that due to your bipolar.. but maybe the Lyrica might help. It helps my neighbor with her back pain.

Please do go ahead and rant here if you want to. We are your friends, and we're not tired of hearing about it.

Path,

I haven't found anything on the web, sorry to say. I am not sick of hearing you vent about your pain. That's what this forum is for. Have you ever had a full auto-immune panel done by a rheumatologist? Is there any county assistance available where you are going to school? Have you checked with student services? You shouldn't have to suffer like that indefinitely. It's one thing to exhaust all pain management avenues (that's a whole 'nuther bitch thread), but it's another to not be dx'ed. Your symptoms sound like my RA. Particularly the joint pain. Are your joints red? swollen? have heat in them? I'm not trying to make you paranoid, but trucking along on the assumption you have fibro, with all that pain, might not be a good idea. Your body is trying to tell you something. (duh, I know). I have fibro too and it's never hurt like what you're describing. My RA, OTOH, hurts like a bitch.

Just some thoughts to consider. And post away woman. A burden shared is a burden halved. A joy shared is a joy doubled. ;)

Hey everyone, thanks for understanding... yesterday was a bad day. Today is a little better. I still hurt, but not as much. I walked a little today, so that helps a bit.

liveoak, I'll bring up Lyrica during my next appointment with my pdoc - in January. I can't afford to see him before then because I'm flat broke.

S9, when I had my crappy student insurance last year, they ran an rh panel on me and I came back "normal," which they said didn't "rule out" rheumatoid arthritis but since my joints aren't red and swollen - they just hurt - the doctors feel that it's not. The rheumatologist is the one who diagnosed me with fibromyalgia since I don't present with rheumatoid arthritis. Since I don't have that crappy insurance anymore (can't afford it, and it was just too crappy anyway).

Anyway, thanks again everyone for listening to me bitch about it. I hate days like yesterday. What pissed me off the most about it all I think is that all that pain was triggered by something as simple as a two hour road trip. Not even two years ago I could drive up to ten hours without hurting, now I can't even drive an hour before I hurt. It's frustrating. It makes me angry. I can't imagine a life where I can't drive. I just can't. That sounds trite, but driving is one of the things in life that I enjoy the most, and I don't want it taken away from me by my own rebellious body.

*sigh*

There I go, bitching again.

liveoak, I'll bring up Lyrica during my next appointment with my pdoc - in January. I can't afford to see him before then because I'm flat broke

Believe me, I understand about being broke. But Lyrica is a med you'd get from a GP, not a pdoc, so you might want to brainstorm about finding a GP who will see you for cheap.

Pain sucks. Sorry you're having so much of it. One thing about fibro is that it is cyclical.. symptoms come and go. I'm never free of it, but there are definitely times that are worse than others. So, this too, shall pass.

Hey Path,

Have you thought about getting a service dog to help you with all kinds of household tasks?

Including laundry?

Peace,

Woo

As much as I would love to have a dog... if only to see one do the laundry, ;) the relative I stay with has a strong aversion to animals. That's putting it lightly.

If you are on Facebook, there are some Fibro groups just for venting on there. I belong to Tender Points...its a new one, I think. There's also a lot of info on there.

Like I said in the other thread, Cymbalta (for pain), amitriptyline ( for pain/sleep) and trazodone (for sleep) are standard Fibro meds that your pdoc can prescribe. I'd try amitriptyline before traz because it helps more for pain but if its too sedating, try the traz. They usually aren't prescribed together as they are both TCAs. Once in a awhile they will both be ordered, though.

You can always vent to me, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Feckin' fibro...

Good luck!

Feel free to vent as much as you want. I know how frustrating it is to feel like your body is betraying you and not letting you do what you want.

With your daughter, can you tell her specifically to put your food at the front of the fridge? I know my mum is in pain, probably a lot more than me, but I was in this mindset that I expected her to be invincible. When I finally realised that she needed help it was really hard but now i'm much less of a brat and help out more.

Hope you can find some meds that help. Gabapentin gave me my life back (albeit briefly) when I had RSD.

I think you have a right to bitch. Unexplained pain is one of the worst things. Not knowing or having someone say "You're fine!" sucks! I hope you can find something that helps. Right now I'm taking 800 mgs of ibuprofin. It helps some, maybe that is an option for you? Hang in there and keep trying to find out what the hell is wrong.

N&P, I'll bring those meds up with my pdoc next time I see him. I take seroquel now and while it doesn't *put* me to sleep, I think it's the only thing that *keeps* me asleep. It used to put me asleep but it no longer has that effect.

bluelikejazz - I've asked my daughter over and over again not to shove my stuff into the back of the fridge, but she does it anyway, and puts my stuff on the bottom shelf too. ;) I think it's because I have good days that she just doesn't realize there are times when it hurts like hell to bend down and get things, or times when it's just impossible. I don't know why she thinks this way... she was there when I threw my back out five years ago and had to call 911 just to get off the floor (talk about embarrassed, I was still in my pjs - it took me three hours of being on the floor to call them, and I only called 'em because my legs were going numb). She *knows* that at the very least my back is bad, but as I said before, I just don't think she understands what that really means. This isn't to sound mean, but she's just too self-centered to understand - it's just the type of person she is. She can't help it. It's still frustrating.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. I'm coming up on winter break - one more final and I'm done. I'll check out the local area and see what's what.

Oh... scatty. I can't take any NSAID's including ibuprofen because they make me dumber than a box of rocks. Yeah, surprised me too. It also explained a lot of things from my past because I've been taking 800mg of ibuprofen for a long time for all kinds of aches and pains and looking back, whenever I took it for any length of time, I did some pretty stupid shit. Last time it got me fired from a really good job - and that's when all of this shit started (after my car accident in 2006).

Thanks y'all for posting about the facebook groups. I didn't even think to look there. I found a forum that looks promising, they have a facebook group too. It's called, "but you don't look sick?"

BTW, I set up a new facebook account for just these groups, and for crazyboard friends. If any of y'all with facebook want to add me, this one is under leighanne pat. Let me know you're from crazyboards, and I'll accept the add.

Thanks!

Hi Path, I have had fibro for years. It has gotten progressivly worse and dealing with drs is a pain in the arse. I wanted to know I feel your pain. I cant talk about my illness to anyone around here. They think I am a lazy liar who FORCED me drs to diagnose me to I could be a lazy arse.

That's what sucks, isn't it? Just because they can't see it, it's not there...

• 5 months later...

Anyway, I've tried to find some online support groups for chronic pain, but they (in my humble opinion) *SUCK*!!! ;) They're all "happy, happy, joy, joy, things will get all better if you're just positive." or "The government is out to get us, and we have to unite against them (paranoid much?)" So if anyone here has found a support group for chronic pain? I don't want to keep griping here... I feel guilty about it.

Hi Patheral,

I probably already told you but here it is again, --> healthboards.com. They have a fairly busy chronic pain forum where you can go off if you need to.

I know they have a fibro board also. It is a huge site. Some pretty smart people, as well as, experienced people.

Take care! joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Patheral,

I probably already told you but here it is again, --> healthboards.com. They have a fairly busy chronic pain forum where you can go off if you need to.

I know they have a fibro board also. It is a huge site. Some pretty smart people, as well as, experienced people.

Take care! joe

Hey Joe,

I checked out healthboards.com and couple of other boards. I guess I've been spoiled by crazyboards because I just can't seem to walk on the eggshells these boards want me to walk on. I didn't register for healthboards, but on another I had two posts deleted for "speaking my mind" and I didn't even cuss!!! I guess I wasn't being "supportive" because I didn't agree with everyone else (go figure). That was enough for me to not want to go back there again.

I've been lurking on healthboards, and wow! the rules there are intense! I'd be afraid to say the wrong thing! I'm sure that it's a great site for a lot of people, but I'm way too used to speaking my mind and letting loose if I want to without fear of recrimination. I certainly don't need to walk around on tippy toes for fear I'll hurt some precious snowflake's feelings. After all, we're all in the same boat, but for goodness' sake, that doesn't mean we have to go out of our way to say only good things! That drives me insane..

/rant (I'm a little upset that one of my posts was deleted today on another board *sigh*)

Oh nooo! I am sorry that was a bad referral. I will admit I spend most of my time at the spine board and chronic pain board. You didn't get shut down there did you? It's pretty good for technical questions about disc probs and pain meds.

For sure though, there is no place like CB when it comes to tolerance.

Well, sorry about that and take care. I hope you get a few pain free days soon! joe

Archived