CrazyBoards.org

To Our Friends without ADD or ADHD

Dear Friends without ADD or ADHD,

If you want us to read what you post, please, please, please, hit the return key every couple 5 to 10 lines. (whether it makes for proper grammar or not.) Otherwise those of us with ADD/ADHD are very likely not to read what you post, even though we may very well give a shite and want to know what the hell you're trying to say. It's just to damn hard on my/our brains to process all that text with no white space.

Thank you,

S9's brain

Dear Friends without ADD or ADHD,

If you want us to read what you post, please, please, please, hit the return key every couple 5 to 10 lines. (whether it makes for proper grammar or not.) Otherwise those of us with ADD/ADHD are very likely not to read what you post, even though we may very well give a shite and want to know what the hell you're trying to say. It's just to damn hard on my/our brains to process all that text with no white space.

Thank you,

S9's brain

That's a great reminder for all of us, S9 - I don't have ADD, but I still have a lot of trouble reading those huge blocks of text.

ETA: Apparently olga and I had the same thought at the same time ;)

You know what? This is such a good idea, I think this should be pinned to the top of the page.

If that's a bad idea, one of the other mods can un-pin it.

I know it's all bad grammar and stuff (my post), but oh well.

You know what? This is such a good idea, I think this should be pinned to the top of the page.

If that's a bad idea, one of the other mods can un-pin it.

At least one of the co-mods for this board agrees. I would also like to add:

Please stick to ONE font, in ONE size and ONE color for your post.

Leave the all-caps shouting, and other decorative elements for emphasis.

Difficulty in prioritizing stuff - including identifying key points - is one of the cognitive issues that can be part and parcel of ADHD. Posts consisting of a barrage of conflicting signals, each competing for attention, is just as likely to shut my brain down as the infamous "wall of text."

I've seen some psychotic word salad posts where I know for a fact that the people involved were incapable of writing anything but wall of text so I have to 86 any request to make this an official rule

I've also seen some posts by people who likely didn't have more than a 3rd grade education but were in a hell of a lot of pain. I'm not going to kick them in the teeth either.

Unpinned.

I don't think it should be a rule in the sense that we enforce it but I do think it would be good to have a noticeable post saying "hey guys, if you put paragraph breaks in your posts it'll make it easier for us to help you and you'll probably get more responses."

I've seen some psychotic word salad posts where I know for a fact that the people involved were incapable of writing anything but wall of text so I have to 86 any request to make this an official rule

I've also seen some posts by people who likely didn't have more than a 3rd grade education but were in a hell of a lot of pain. I'm not going to kick them in the teeth either.

Unpinned.

very fair point. thanks for reminding us of this.

There are a lot of rules that aren't seriously enforced in cases where a person's MI makes it hard for them to follow the letter of the CB law. On this very board, for example, there is no such thing as going off-topic. There's no hard-and-fast law about trigger warnings, but it's understood that you have to use them on the PTSD board. Cyberhugs suck, right? But people still use them when someone is clearly in a lot of pain, and I haven't seen any cyber-hugging posts deleted or flamed lately.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't certainly don't see a problem with a "How to get more responses from your post" topic that deals with the importance of the return key.

~CS

Cyberhugs suck, right? But people still use them when someone is clearly in a lot of pain, and I haven't seen any cyber-hugging posts deleted or flamed lately.

Sorry. I've been slacking lately and not smiting those who need it. Heh.

I would also like to add:

Please stick to ONE font, in ONE size and ONE color for your post.

Leave the all-caps shouting, and other decorative elements for emphasis.

Yes, please, and preferably have that one font/size/color be the default one, if possible. That tends to bug me way more than the wall o' text. It's much harder to read, and it looks like crap. Mid-90s crappy webpage crap. If I wanted to see stuff that looked like that, I'd go hang out in 1996 reading stuff on GeoCities in Netscape 2.

Ultimately, though, I have to agree with VE. There are people who, for whatever reason, can't help writing like that, and they can't or shouldn't be forced to just to be heard. With that said, I'm fully in favor of encouraging people who are able to write readably but not making it a rule/requirement. I am probably one of the pickier people on the site when it comes to having people use proper English, after all. But, if someone can't, they can't, whether it's because their brain can't assemble things that way or they just never learned how.

On the other hand, if they're just being lazy or are doing it because they think it's somehow cool, they will go on my list of people to smite. There's just nothing cool about Y R U UP SO EARLY????????????????? Heh.

I actually think this should be part of "The Rules".

~CS's brain

As an overall site rule, it doesn't make quite as much sense. VE's post includes some of the reasons for that. I'd include that changing font/color when "littles" want to pipe up mid-post is reasonable for the DID forum. Wall o'Text makes perfect sense for Sz stream-of-thought posts and TLE-driven dissertations. Those are better posted in their appropriate forums.

However, for the ADD/ADHD forum, it would be nice if people would abide by two simple guidelines that would make their posts far more readable by the target population.

Unpinned.

Which is exactly why I specifically said, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, and THANK YOU. I certainly don't mean to suggest that someone who CANT do this, for whatever reason, is less than in anyway. It was not meant as a kick in the teeth to anyone. It was merely an observation and request from one disorganized mind that is also operating with a really bad pair of eyeballs.

p.s. I think even 3rd graders know how to hit the return key

I think even 3rd graders know how to hit the return key

Which Internet are you on, and can you tell me how to get there? On the one I'm stuck on, even being a college graduate is no guarantee that someone has a grasp of even basic things like that...

I think most can recognize when people with mental challenges are making an erratic post when in need. Making a rule against that seems contrary to the site purposes. However, that is different than sloppy writing.

I think we can spot people who are cognitively functioning who post w/o paragraph breaks or basic grammar simply to save time or drop school rules. That's difficult to read!

My own pet peeve is no capitals at the start of sentences. That is so hard to read even for non-ADD/ADHD me.

The way I figure it, if they can't write, I can't read, and tough noogies if I can't then answer their question.

BTW I'm so off my damn rocker I just spelled "write" as "right". And accidentally hit the caps key. Damn alcohol. But I soldier on for all you folks who want a damn readable post. So I fix my shit. It's called "proofreading."

Think I learned that...mmm, 4th grade, maybe.

I can very rarely read The wall of Text, so I'm glad you posted this. I'm guilty of not capitalizing the first letter of each sentence and I SWEAR it's my keyboard, b/c my finger goes there. ;)

I do alot of proof reading which bores me silly, but my typing would be a mess otherwise.

I think just a strong request [pinned?] would be fine and of course those who can't, can't. Probably don't read the pinned stuff anyway....I've read very little myself.....

Archived