CrazyBoards.org

judgmental medical professionals

SO I finally have medical insurance again, after claiming medical disability so I decided to do all the things I have been putting off...Optometrist, PCP, OBGYN, the works...so today I went in for a biopsy ( I have severe displasia of the cervix and have had cryo once before and may be getting a second round) well anyways, you all know the questionarre they give you to fill out that ask medical history such as heart attack, allergies, and mental illness. Well the part for mentall illness I always said no to but today I decided for some strange reason to check yes...wow was that stupid. SO I go in to the room and sit down with the doc before the procedure and she is asking questions, the normal at first, every have anestesia that type of crap and then she starts on mental illness...it was weird, she gets all in to this thing about if I am a danger to myself and others and blah blah blah, so I am telling her I am fin and I assure that I am seeing a mental health professional and that the person is with the hospital (UPMC) and that she can go in and look if she wants. So we do the procedure and I get dressed and I am waiting for her to come in with a script for ibuprophen and in comes a social worker, she starts on too with the whole questioning of mental health and stability and blah blah bla,( this is all I hear at this point is blah blah blah) well by this point I am getting aggravated I just want to get the script and go home, I really badly wanted to tell this lady to shut the hell up look at my records I will be happy to sign any documents so that you can see that I am seeing a shrink and I am on meds...draw my blood lady and you will see that I have paxil in my system. Eventually she let me off (becaus eshe saw that I have another appt tomorrow in the same hospital to see the OBGYN.

Why are doctors so in to automatically assuming that if you mark down that you have a mental illness you are going to knock up a post office and then kill a basket of puppies or something...I understand concern but this was a hole nother level of bull shit. Do you guys check yes or no on the questionarre? I have to go through this again tomorrow (of course I will be checking NO on the little box. GOD I HATE HOSPITALS. ;):):)

Wow. That's outrageous! I'm actually kinda speechless about it, too.

I only tell if I think there's a reason they should know about what meds I'm on. I've had two docs treat me like I had an IQ of 70 and was unable to care for myself (slight exaggeration, but not much). I had another who needed to tell me about all the genius and famous people with bipolar there were. He was nice, but it was slighly insulting just the same. Absolutely nothing like what you had happen.

God, that's beyond ridiculous.

I went to see a gdoc at the local student health clinic for a referral to the local asthma clinic at the hospital, and I told her that I'm on Remeron, and that I have an Ativan PRN because she asked me about meds, and so I finally got her to write the referral and she says "I'm just going to put that you're a complicated young lady, okay?" and I'm like okay, whatever. So I get home and look at the referral, and it's all "known anxiety with maintainance meds and Ativan PRN". And I'm like thanks a lot, lady...I'd liked to have had the option to disclose that one myself.

Still, on the whole she was okay about it. Not nearly the kind of crap you got. I'd have socked someone (and then they would all have felt super-justified ;))

Funny you said the thing about MI and brilliant people...I just had a discussion about that earlier.

Yeah I am a little distraught over that myself, maybe because she is an oncologist and not a psychistrist she thinks that bipolar equals nuts. I mean I can be nuts but I look like any average 20something woman in a hospital...nothing strange. It pissed me off though with the whole lecturing thing, I should have said that you should harp a mental patient...it may trigger them lol

That really sounds like people who either have had very little experience with those with MI in their office or had one "bad" experience [see: crisis situation] in their office and now over react to cover their asses in every situation, intimidating and/or annoying their patients.

I'm sorry you had to be grilled like that, it's really inappropriate of them to do that. Maybe the doctor was simply uncomfortable with the situation and wanted to pass it on to someone else? If so shame on them.

I do tell my doctors that I'm bipolar and list my meds simply because I take so many meds that I really think they should know. My eye doctor knows, even because there can be potential problems with them. My chiropractor, when I used to see one, knew, and they never made me feeling like I was a fucking loon or anything.

I think it was really wrong of them to treat you the way they did.

Ya know, if you feel like you want to, you could consider writing a letter to the doctor or to the hospital. I've worked in a hospital, and they do take them seriously. If you wanted to, the best thing to do would be to get in touch with an outpatient rep. It wouldn't have to be a huge old deal, but it might be good for the hospital to know that sort of shit is going on under their noses...

Oh I plan on seeing some one tomorrow when I am at the hospital again...I am offended by that behavior. I couldnt really say anything at the time...the hospital is 2 blocks away from the mental institution...I dont want to go there again. I just sucked it up and said okay and kept saying that my info is in the system there are records of me seeing my therapist last week (all the hospitals are linked together due to them being owned by one corporation) I am irritated to the point where I may switch to a private practice. UPMC is ridiculous, back when I first had my cryo (session #1) a student did th prcedure and she severly injured me...the gun froze to my skin and she didnt let it thaw and ripped my skin off...it was the second most painful experience in my lif (toothache is #1) the hospital is horriblebut with it being a monopoly and all it is hard to find anywhere else to go with out driving an hour...most of the private pracices around here even have the UPMS symbol on them...it sucks! I am gonna talk to some of my girlfriends and see if they know of a good private practice OBGYN although I know that the Oncologyst will be in UPMC for sure everything else will be not linked just referalls

geeze, some of the experiences some of you have had are terrible.

I have no choice but to disclose. MI meds included, I take 17 med between My Gdoc, Pdoc and neurologist. (my list in my sig is outdated. Im just lazy right now) Fortunately, I've had good luck with doctors. I've seen tons but I have only been treated poorly twice. Once was a pdoc years ago. He was just a know it all asshole. The last time was the doc at the ER last time I went to the hospital. He had the gall to show up with a damned security guard. I was just laying there. A danger to nobody but me, obviously. He was a total jerk, never made eye contact, Was generally rude in his tone and left as quickly as he came in. just as he left, I asked what the hospital was going to charge me for him to be an asshole to me for 3 minutes.

You had a bad expierience.

Complain.

Raise all kinds of hell. That shit's not right and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

That said, it's really in your best interest to tell all medical professionals you see about all medications that you're on. Your experience was an abnormality.

Gee Lottacrazy, that whole hospital sounds sucky. I can't believe the experience you had with the last cryo... that would have made it daunting enough this time around without dealing with a completely rude & ignorant fool.

I wish you better luck with finding a private person, who isn't a complete dweeb.

My pharmacy is mostly good but there is one very old pharmacist who is very scared when he hands me my antipsychotic. I go there usually after work so I'm wearing a suit & looking pretty stable, but he hands me my meds standing well back from the counter looking very fearful. He just mumbles the spiel about side effects without looking me in the eye. Does he think I'm going to jump the counter & smack him over the head with my laptop? Sometimes I feel like doing something bizarre just to mess with him ;)

hi,

i just want to add that it is better to tell anyone involved with your body or brain about your MI and MI meds.

To some, like my obgyn - i asked him to put big red stars on my file that i have MI. (this is because one of his workers got into a yelling match with me about my bill. medical billers should not yell at patients - regardless of the issue. and im not the one that started the yelling).

db

My pharmacy is mostly good but there is one very old pharmacist who is very scared when he hands me my antipsychotic. I go there usually after work so I'm wearing a suit & looking pretty stable, but he hands me my meds standing well back from the counter looking very fearful. He just mumbles the spiel about side effects without looking me in the eye. Does he think I'm going to jump the counter & smack him over the head with my laptop? Sometimes I feel like doing something bizarre just to mess with him ;)

When I encounter people like that all it does is tempt me to fuck with them.

**makes crazy, googly eyes @ Generica's very old goofy ass pharmacist**

ooga booga! ooga booga!

You had a bad expierience.

Complain.

Raise all kinds of hell. That shit's not right and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

That said, it's really in your best interest to tell all medical professionals you see about all medications that you're on. Your experience was an abnormality.

I truly agree with VE. That was so far over the line that it should not go unanswered.

Complain to hospital administration. Complaining to medical staff is the wrong place. Just be reasoned, professional, very rational, and unemotional. Whenever anyone complaining gets all upset, they loose credibility. That unfortunately would apply more so since this is about an MI. A letter might be preferable, btw.

I'd also consider bringing in some literature, ha, the kind that says those w/bipolar lead perfectly normal lives when treating the illness. ;) It's a way to deliver multiple messages in a respectful way.

Hi all, well I am back from the OBGYN the appt was for 10 am I went in at 8am to take care of the little issue yesterday...well big actually I asked for the DON (director of nurses) who they claimed was unavailable so then I asked for Dr Manno (the man in charge of cryo) who was also supposedly unavailable. I asked that I be contacted immediately by a person in charge of hospital administration becasue of the lack of professionalism that I recieved yesterday and if I dont here from them soon I will get in touch with them on my own. The receptionist claimed that she will have some one be in touch asap, I didnt tell her what happened I was very vague I figured the more curious they are the better the chances of them calling me and me not getting some bull shit letter from customer service or some crap. Today was uneventful I didnt disolose my MI info but funny thing is I had the same doctor that gave birth to my daughter, it was nice to see her. I told her what happened yesterday and she was apalled, she said in her experience if it is marked they only ask if you are being treated and if not they can assist you wit finding treatment. She said (and she added no offense) but in her eyes it is better not to corner some one with MI becasue then they feel threatened. I told he that it isnt that I felt threatened just disrespected and quite apalled by what happened. She told me to contact administration which I have already tried to do.

Well any who...I will stay with that hospital for my normal stuff but I will never step foot in that oncology office again. I would rather drive to Ohio than deal with that crap. I should have made crazy eyes or something to that lady yesterday or atleast faked a panic attack...lol.

Generica: I have always had really nice pharamacist for the most part, the only jerk I ever met was last week when I got my antibiotic for my tooth and I asked the pharmacist if the penicillin can cause inaffectivness with my IUD...I looked at me apalled and said no ( I found out today that it can in fact cause my IUD to stop working while on the antibiotics) the ass hole wanted me to get knocked up lol. I will be calling the pharmacy to inform him that he is wrong. The pharmacy I usually go to all my friends from highschool work at so its a nice experience everytime...Tammy just says "hey Mia"<<<my nick name in high school and gives me the scripts never a lecture on side effects or anything.

I think "normal" people are so uneducated on MI and the fact that just because you are bipolar doesnt mean you are nuts or dangerous, I deal with alot of a***oles in my neighborhood but the people that I have known for a long time seem to be understanding and thoughtful. They never look at me weird and say how are you doing or anything just hey Maria hows the baby? oh, did you here about so and so...normal b-s-ing. I hate uneducated, stupid, judgmental people. I want to get a t shirt that says I am Bipolar RUN!!!!!...lol

I want to get a t shirt that says I am Bipolar RUN!!!!!...lol

Why not? My cow-orkers at the big box store got me a shirt for my 27th birthday that had this printed on it: "You're just jealous that the voices talk to ME!"

Of course I /had/ just gotten out of the nut hut a few days before then....

My friend has a shirt like that, If I remember correctly it says "The voices are talking to me and told me you suck"

I love stuff like that there was a bumper sticker I saw once at Walmart that said "I may be fat but you ugly and I can lose weight"

that is REALLY inappropriate! i am sorry you had to listen to that. i know from experience how frustrating and invalidating that can be. it just shouldn't happen. i hope you get some resolution. i hope that doctor learns something too.

Dude, that sucks... I mean, I understand the industry IS desperate for staff, and that a lot IS expected from temps, assistants and minimum-wage front-line employees... but man, I had to switch family doctors after mine moved, and in the search I had this one woman who had definitely been practicing for several years... we were going through my history and the question "are you or have you ever taken drugs", so I logically listed the MI drugs I've been on as well as all the street drugs I've ever used (with the inclusion that I haven't used in 6 years), and then I asked her a simple question about one of them.

You know what she did? She freaked out saying "I don't know anything about drugs, I've never been around anything like that, I can't help you, I've never done anything like that..."

My jaw hit the floor- I was like, Who in the HELL gave you a license to treat human beings? I'd be better off with a vet!! I mean, you're able to prescribe half of the drugs I've snorted- you BETTER know what the side effects and interactions are!!!

That said, I also would like to put in two cents for my wonderful wonderful pharmacists... the first time I had to go get my meds filled, I was so scared of getting someone mean or judgemental, but instead when the guy handed me my anti-depressants and such, he got this really warm caring look in his eye and took a few minutes extra to go through everything with me and make sure I was taken care of... then as I was leaving, he told me he hoped I'd feel better. Without a hint of condescension either. I thought it was the nicest I've ever been treated by a stranger.

Archived