CrazyBoards.org

I'm currently taking Topamax for mood stabilisation and have had some success but I definately need an add on. I understand that Lamictal works on a different part of the brain and is a good choice for rapid cycling BP.

So I was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat as me and had any success with this mix?

I'm currently taking Topamax for mood stabilisation and have had some success but I definately need an add on. I understand that Lamictal works on a different part of the brain and is a good choice for rapid cycling BP.

So I was wondering if anyone has been in the same boat as me and had any success with this mix?

I have been on Topamax for over 4 years for migraines along with other ad's and aa's and I never thought that the Topamax added anything for my depression (it did help with my migraines greatly). However I was recently diagnosed with BPII and was put on Lamictal and it's made a huge positive difference in my depression and my mood. But that's just my experience.

I don't know what your boat is but topamax and lamictal was my dream cocktail.

Understand that the topa was for the alcoholism, rages, and general mania and lamictal was for the depression. Topa is very sensitive for who/what it treats in the bp spectrum.

I don't really think that lamictal is a "good choice" for rapid cycling bp--maybe I'm wrong--it's used more for bp depression. I don't think it can hurt to add it, if the topa seems to be helping.

I don't really think that lamictal is a "good choice" for rapid cycling bp--maybe I'm wrong--it's used more for bp depression.

FWIW, I've actually read that Lamictal is a good choice for rapid cycling (source) as well as bp depression. My pdoc sent me straight to Lamictal and I have VERY rapid cycling (often depressed half the day & hypomanic the other half).

BIMBO - good luck, I hope you find a good cocktail.

Thanks for the replies.

My doc is being a bit hesitant about prescribing me the Lamictal, have to wait a month until my next appointment to see if he will. Got him to promise to research it though, so that's a start.

He's never had a patient with my diagnosis before, poor pet doesn't know what to do with himself. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I added Topamax about 3 weeks ago (to Lamictal, Focalin, and Seroquel-- my current pdoc wants me off the Seroquel, which was probably never necessary, but takes forever to get off of.) It.... wow... I don't really know how to describe the effect. I feel like it might actually be possible to join the human race. It might be possible to have real feelings, to not seesaw between total numbness and panic attacks, to escape the horrible retraumatization, flashbacks, re-experiencing, dissociation, depersonalization, derealization, nightmares, well... pretty much all the stuff that has made up the substance of what I've had to deal with almost all my life. (Oh, yeah, and the horrible insane rages that came out of nowhere and caused me to try to attack people several times have disappeared, which is really the clearest sign possible that Topamax works for me, since those episodes come from temporal lobe epilepsy caused by a brain injury.)

So I do think that the reason Topamax has worked the way that it has for me (as an add-on, which is how it normally does work) is that severe PTSD *and* specific temporal lobe damage from a brain injury-- all taking place in a rapid cycling bipolar framework-- are my exact issues. Topamax is pretty much tailor-made for me, so it's like a miracle. For a lot of other people, I know that it's been a disaster. I suspect that it's a more narrowly focused drug rather than a general purpose one, and that most of those who try it will probably be overwhelmed by negative side effects, although these aren't inevitable (for instance, my cognitive functioning has never been better, and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who's experienced this paradoxical effect from T). But for those of us who need it, Topamax is an answer to all those years of waiting and trying and struggling and striving and hoping. I can only pray that I will always be able to stay on it.

Archived