CrazyBoards.org

When I was in the hospital six months ago, we added Abilify to my cocktail and my mind began to level out real fast. I've never been psychotic but the Abilify seemed to grab hold of my depression and hypomania and level me out fast. I could actually feel it working.

Does anyone feel "too" level?

What did an AAP do for you?

Sunshine Outside

Sunshine,

I'm on 15 mg Zyprexa. It levels me out real well. It shuts out the racing thoughts, and all negative thoughts in general. It stops the crying fits. I was in a mixed state for 4 days before my dose was increased. I think the dose I am on is just right, but its too soon to tell. the Z is a godsend for me.

carmex

I've had a lot of problems with sensory weirdness, macabre thoughts, dissociation and rumination. The Abilify took care of most of it. It came slowly with titration. I have no side effects whatsoever, and I'm loving my new med ;) It's supposed to be activating as well, but sadly, I haven't noticed that effect at all.

before lamotrigine, i used seroquel, risperdal, and zyprexa often added to the ADs i was taking (that were not working, so the AAPs were supposed to fix that somehow....).

especially with zyprexa, i went from wanting to climb out of my own skin with agitation/rage/self-destruction, to a calm state where i didn't feel like i needed to freak out anymore. i was no less depressed, and marginally less anxious. but the druggish fog that settled over all the extremes helped keep me in check. i'd take it in a minute if i ever felt that kind of agitation again. thankfully it doesn't happen now with no ssri's and a nice AC. ;)

I've gone through all of them, and other than Abilify, they were successful at slowing down the racing thoughts, the hyperirritability, and the anxiety/depression of the mixed states. The side effects sucked though, and I found myself abusing Seroquel to "numb out". I'm on Geodon now, and while I have some mild akasthisia, it's nothing like the horror of Abilify. And the carb cravings have stopped, thank God. I've pretty much realized that I just have to deal with the SE, because nothing else works.

I'm sitting on some Abilify I've been supposed to start taking since the beginning of November. Except I've been too scared to pop the first one in my mouth. I usually wake up in a cold, shaky panic and taking a new psychoactive pill is basically the last thing my perpetually anxious mind could take first thing in the morning. I told my pdoc about it last visit and he gave me a low dose of Ativan to level out my anxiety enough so I can functionally begin treatment. It's been a few days since I promised I would start taking the Ativan and I'm still not feeling brave enough to take the plunge.

The doctor told me to split the 2mg pills in half and start that way. He says I probably won't feel anything. So question is to you guys: what will I possibly notice as I begin? I'm terrified of being "activated" as the doctor says may happen. I'm terrified of akathisia (which I got from time to time on a relatively high dose of Luvox back in the day). I'm petrified of being restless. I'm also scared that if I do begin to experience these symptoms I will have to resort to knocking myself out with alcohol lest I feel I'm about to jump out the window.

I'm encouraged by threads like this (believe me I've read every friggin forum on the web I think when it comes to Abilify), because what most of you have described sounds so nice to one day finally feel again.

I'm also still somewhat confused why my doctor is so gung-ho on the Abilify for me. I have OCD and overall anxiety, dp/dr and am now saddled with DEEP depression due to the loss of the person I loved and and wanted to spend the rest of my life with type thing. I'm certainly not bi-polar. I'm a straight shot, level, constantly anxious and depressed dude with lifelong OCD (harm themes) that has pushed me into a vortex of everything else mood disorder-wise. I took Luvox for over ten years with EXCELLENT results and for some reason (I'm an idiot!) decided to quit taking it a couple years ago because duh, I felt so good. A couple months later and a best friend from adolescence getting murdered, my OCD came back with a vengeance. I tried going back on the Luvox, but the side effects again, were too much for me to handle and I stopped.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. What can I expect from Abilify? Does it sound like it's the med for someone like me? Nobody seems to know, I certainly don't. But my doctor totally believes in it. I've heard for cases like mine, low doses of Abilify usually work (possibly no higher than 5mg). But again, I don't know a thing. Any tips, suggestions or otherwise for me or others like me? Thanks in advance. Awesome, informative forum here btw too.

I have been on Abilify for several years and it seems to help, but I am bipolar so I don't know if it applies to your situation. It does make me restless and twitchy, but my pdoc prescribed Cogentin for that, which seems to help a lot.

Tommy

I had Seroquel for the first few months after I was diagnosed for PRN use and I came to love it. When I was getting agitated and angry and feeling out of control it would settle me down in short order. My body would relax and my mind calm down to a slow enough pace that I could understand my thoughts and not have the intrusive thoughts. Four years later I've improved enough that I don't really need it, but I wish my pdoc would let me have some "just in case". She says she will give me Zyprexa for my next manic/mixed episode.

a.m.

Archived