CrazyBoards.org

Benzo Tolerance

Hi all,

I have been taking 20mg of Valium every day for about 1.5 years now, and have found I have become completely tolerant to its effects. Three weeks ago I stopped taking it cold turkey, it wasn't helping anymore so I just stopped. So far I have had no withdrawal at all. Two days ago I tried Xanax for the first time, took 2mg and felt no effects, yesterday I tried 1mg of Flunitrazepam and again it didn't do anything at all.

At the moment I am not taking any Benzos but my pdoc has mentioned trying me on Clonazepam next month for anxiety. My question is there any way I can gauge how long this tolerance will last? I want to get back on Benzos again, I miss the feeling of being close to free of anxiety that only Benzos will give me.

I can't say that you ever return to a zero baseline of the naive user. I often go weeks without using any Xanax, and will be surprised with how heavily it hits me with the first tab. But when I use it several days in a row I can feel the tolerance returning. I've used Xanax PRN for over 4 years.

Are you on any other meds for anxiety like Antidepressants? Benzos are quick acting but really don't improve the brain chemistry like AD's, mood stabilizers or antipsychotics. Betablockers (blood pressure meds) also can be quite helpful for reducing anxiety. I use metoprolol as well and prefer it to the Xanax since it doesn't mess with my head.

a.m.

I am also taking 120mg of Cymbalta, 45mg of Dexamphetamine and 200mg of Seroquel at night. I have been through most of the classes of antidepressants with not much luck and have found only Benzos to actually work on my anxiety, nothing has completely worked on my depression. Funnily enough the amphetamines help reduce my anxiety instead of increasing it. Seroquel during the day just makes me tired.

I have asked for something like a Betablocker or an antiepileptic but my doctor does not seem interested in them. I might try to push to get on one next time I see him.

Archived