CrazyBoards.org

100mg Pristiq: If you take, took or will take.

I've not found anyone else taking this dosage. I took 50mg for 8 days and then went to 100mg...9 days at that dose today. It is suggested by Wyeth that 50mg gets positive results and that 100mg may, indeed, not.

I'm having trouble with fairly wide mood swings and would like to know what others are experiencing.

Thanks.

Gracie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest_workoutgirl_*

I started 100mg a week ago and each day I have been progressively more drowsy. I was taking it in the morning but tonight I am going to try it in the evening and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't I may switch back to taking generic Celexa and Wellbutrin. I hate feeling sleepy all day. Otherwise what other side effects are you having?

Hey Workoutgirl. I had to change taking pristiq to evening as well. I felt so tired and stupid right after taking it and for several hours thereafter. Taking it at night did the trick and now I can take it in the early evening and not feel tired.

I have some constipation and dry mouth which I've had to live with on other meds. Its the mood swings that are bothering me...from very depressed and pissed to spending $500 at the mall in an hour. Makes me feel BP which I've never thought I was.

Thanks for your response.

Gracie

Edited by gracie

Well, its official now. I feel like crap. I'm so tired in the afternoons...sat in a meeting this afternoon and thought they were speaking martian. I'm bitchy, pissy, snarky and full of hateful thoughts towards anyone and everyone who comes within my line of sight or hearing. I was supposed to modify a document from one of the managers today and, instead, sent it back to him saying it was a mess and if he could clean it up, I'd deal with it. Good Lord.

Day 20 today. Will see what the old tdoc has to say this weekend. She may be surprised at what sweet little Gracie has to say.

Gracie

Maybe I'll bop over to the QVC community forum and bad mouth Jane Rudolph Treacy and fire up the holier-than-thous. They get bored and sleepy if they don't have anyone to be mortified over.

Edited by gracie

I haven't been moody but I am definitely having weird dreams. Extremely vivid dreams and I am working my way around having sordid affairs with male celebrities in them. This morning my alarm interrupted the dream about Ryan Phillipe, Nick lachey was in the room too so I guess he was going to be next. A few weeks it was Justin Timberlake and the guy from Wedding Crashers that was mean. It is weird but at the same time not bad at all! How about your appetite? Mine seems to be up and down but then it is "that" week too.

I did have lots of interesting dreams at first...some violence with no emotion on my part, which scared me. My appetite hasn't really changed. I do have a little trouble getting to sleep at night but once I get there, I'm ok. Just the damned moods...not too bad today but I'm trying to keep a low profile since I was an asshole yesterday.

You have nice taste in dream objects!!

Thanks for your input.

Gracie

I have been taking Pristiq for since 12/8/08. I was on Effexor 150 for about 5 years. Doc said this is the new Effexor, cleaner, better...

i tried tapering off effexor, 150 to 75 with 50mg Pristiq, then, on 12/16/08, only Pristiq, 100mg. I feel like crap. moody, foggy, up and down all day, headaches, etc.

Does anyone know when this should stop? its been almost 2 week on Pristiq and i dont feel good at all... suggestions?

Yup. I'm with ya...switched 150mg effexor for 100mg pristiq. I feel crappy, moody, very down today and its been over 3 weeks for me. The moods change a couple of times a day.

I'm seeing the pdoc on Sunday...I can't take much more of this.

Gracie.

Edited by gracie

From what I am reading, the 100mg is just too much of the Pristiq... have you read that too? Might be a less of a dosage will level off the mood swings. i am thinking about taking 50mg tomorrow and see how it goes...

why did you switch from Effexor to Pristiq?

Yes, I'm considering going back to 50mg. I'm worried, though, because I started with 50mg and for some reason had bad effexor withdrawal symptoms. I actually felt worse on 50mg...don't know what to do. Seeing pdoc tomorrow.

Did you start right out on 100mg? Thats unusal given the info out there about that dosage.

Thanks.

Gracie

I took 50mg this AM... as of right now (10:50am) i feel ok... I will see how the day goes.

After tapering off the Effexor (which was terrible) i started taking the 100mg of Pristiq to help work through the withdrawal symptoms from effexor. My doc said to stay on 100, but i just think that is too much.

are you on 100 or on 50? do you take in the AM or PM? i take in the morning... i can definatly tell that i am tired at night, going to bed much earlier than usual and sleeping later...

Update from today... took 50 this AM, felt super great all morning... at around 2:20ish, starting to feel a little "dizzy" and shakey. I def think the 50 is better than the 100, at least that is what i am thinking right now... could be the 100 was "overload" and my body just couldn't take it. we will see how the rest of the day goes. i am using this forum as my "journal" so i can look back later and see what is happening.

Kaflyboy, good luck with 50mg. Keep me informed as I may do that. Seeing the pdoc tomorrow AM.

This whole thing has made me wonder about bi-polar something or other. The moods I'm rapidly going through are not unfamiliar. Its the rapidity (is that a word) that is unusual for me.

Gracie

I just went back to my Wellbutrin and Celexa regemin. I felt like crap on Pristiq and had no interest in anything at all. On Wellbutrin I feel great and the Celexa counteracts the sexual side effects and helps calm the "want to kick the shit out of everyone" that Wellbutrin brings out. Plus were I not married and just taking Wellbutrin I could get in serious trouble. Wellbutrin makes you very interested in sex especially.

Kaflyboy, good luck with 50mg. Keep me informed as I may do that. Seeing the pdoc tomorrow AM.

This whole thing has made me wonder about bi-polar something or other. The moods I'm rapidly going through are not unfamiliar. Its the rapidity (is that a word) that is unusual for me.

Gracie

Gracie-

Glad you are going to speak with your pdoc about this. This past August I was dx'd BPII by a psychiatric clinician. My assessment revealed characteristics of BP. However, just two weeks ago my pdoc told me that she did not consider me "medically BP" and wasn't treating me as such. I have come to the conclusion that my BP dx came about due to numerous periods of "hypomanic" behaviors during years of taking Paxil....an SSRI. Back in late summer I began experiencing some depressive behaviors after being off Paxil for almost a year. She put me on Celexa(another SSRI). I F**CKING FREAKED OUT.....and actually. I had HORRIBLE side effect....couldn't breathe, insomnia, visuals like on LSD, and finally psychotic hallucinations. I was IMMEDIATED removed from the drug after 60 days. I went another 60 days only taking the klonopin that I have been taking for years, but was still feeling a bit depressed. The pdoc then decided we should try Pristiq(SNRI) as it is less active on serotonin reuptake and it also adds the element of norepineprhine reuptake. My point here is that anything, ESPECIALLY SSRIs that affect serotonin can throw BP folks into hypomanic/manic behaviors, and can even cause these behaviors in folks whe are not technically BP. I say this because of your "depressed, pissed, $500 spending spree" comment earlier.

Unfortunately for you, it may be that any med that affects your serotonin levels may spell "mood swings", i.e., BP type behaviors. That's for you and your pdoc to decide. I am at the 4 1/2 week level of Pristiq, and have thus far had very minimal side effects. It could be that later, even the reduced level of serotonin activity caused by Pristiq, my manic behaviors could return. I am certainly hoping this is not the case. I seem to being doing well on Pristiq. Yes, some days are better than others. I am not going to give up on this med before 90 days in unless some kind of drastic SEs appear.

My best to you!

Deepster

Edited by Deepster

Thanks very much for your reply Deepster. I'm just hoping my pdoc can make some sense out of this as I don't know what to do. I'm glad the holiday is coming so if I have to switch meds I can be a crackpot at home.

Gracie

Oh boy. Just got back from pdoc appt. She agrees I should go back down to 50mg of pristiq. She says we now have a tentative diagnosis of BPII and/or very resistant depression. I told her absolutely everything.

She's adding in the lowest dose of lamictal...warned me about the rash/gland thing. She also mentioned a low dose of abilify for down the road depending on how it goes...haven't researched that one.

I have some hope now although I'm remembering all the SE talk here.

Gracie

I am still waiting for my mail order script to come in for the 100mg. I ran out of my 50mg samples on Thursday and when I called the pharmacy on Friday, my doctor's office had not called me in any to last me until my order comes in. I am hoping it will come in before Christmas! I think I am going to call tomorow and ask for more samples. I think they owe me that since they didn't call me any in to make it through until the order comes in. I just hope I am not messing the chance of the 100mg working for me, since I haven't taken it the last few days. I felt pretty good on the 50mg, so I am hoping the 100 will be even better, and not too much. It seems like some of you are saying the 100mg is just too much vs. the 50mg.

I took 50mg of pristiq last evening instead of 100mg and I don't feel as bad today as I thought I would. Just a constant headache and the feeling that there's too much space in my head (no one dare say a word ;) ) and my brain is sloshing around.

Gracie