CrazyBoards.org

O.K. Got long term disability

I have been off work for about 10 weeks collecting government dis. In January my LTD insurance kicks in.

Saw my pdoc a few days ago and he says you need 2 full years off to try and stabilize your condition. BP11 by the way. I thinking 2 years is a hell of a lot of time.

Trouble is I think doc might be a bit of off on the time away from from work. I am classified as presently untreatable on the DSM1V guideline.It would be a waste of space to start naming drugs, although he injects me twice a month in the ass with flunaxol depot he's hoping this might work.

I am bored shitless. I know its stupid I should be happy not having to go to work. I'm bored, but do not want to do anything! The insurance company reviews my claim every 6 months, so I'm still looking at some time at home. I'm not a hobby person at all. I have absolutely no interests at all. Endless searching on google for anything about anything.

Does anybody have some suggetions that might help get my mind off the nothingness.

You mentioned that you don't have any interests or hobbies, but maybe you should try getting into something. Try some writing. Start by doing a basic draft of anything that you think would be interesting to read. A great place to start would be writing about your own experiences with Bipolar and how it's affected your life. Pretend that you're writing an autobiography. Sometimes just getting things written out on paper can help to put everything into perspective better.

People often say and think things like: "I wish I had enough free time to do this, I wish I had some time off work to do that, if I only had a few months to myself, I could get so and so accomplished". Try to see this as that golden opportunity, one that many people don't ever get. I know the circumstances aren't ideal. We'd all rather be mentally well and fully able to function normally. But sometimes, we get dealt a shitty hand. The most we can do is make the best of it for the time being.

If it's nearby, visit your local community college. Some of them have programs where disabled people can take classes. You can also visit the guidance/counseling office to see if they have aptitude tests and career counseling. Maybe pointing your professional life in a new direction (when you're well enough to return to work) will give you a kick-start.

Go volunteer in a soup kitchen or Salvation Army or senior citizen center. I think it helps to keep things in perspective when we have contact with people less fortunate than ourselves.

If you have a skill or interest to share, volunteer to teach a class or work with people one-on-one at your library or community center. Our library needs people to teach basic computer skills to the elderly. If you like sports, offer to play basketball with the kids at an after-school place like a Y or Boy's Club. If you can read and have some compassion, find out about being a Literacy Volunteer and teach illiterate people to read.

Go to the library and borrow the book "What Color is My Parachute?" It's a great book for helping you to figure out what you want to do with the rest of your life.

Force yourself to leave the house every day. Go buy a cup of coffee, or take a walk in a park, or stroll around the downtown in your city.

If you don't have a therapist, please consider getting one. He or she could give you invaluable insights about what you could be doing.

olga

Archived