CrazyBoards.org

anyone with BP & OCD?

My BP has some OCD flavor mixed in it(obsessive thoughts, repeating thoughts etc.)

Does anybody have the same?

I know some ADs work for ocd sxs, but do ACs or AAPs work as well? ADs make me manic!

Thanks,

carmex

I wonder (though this is totally a conjecture) if obsessive thoughts/repetitive thoughts are a sort of semi-constant feature in mental illness. I have some OCD-like symptoms, mainly the intrusive/obsessive thoughts aspect, and I think it's just one more facet of my anxiety. As for AAPs, I know Seroquel can be good for anxiety, at lower doses. It seems to have a somewhat benzo-like ability to take the thoughts out of your head, or so I think.

Maybe instead of looking for meds to treat this symptom or that symptom, it might help to be a little more holistic about it - just leave the meds you've got alone for a while and see if you start feeling better. I've just noticed that you haven't been on your current meds for too long, or even had your current diagnosis for too long, and that there are a lot of different "flavors" of symptoms that you're worrying about right now - it's crummy to have all these tons of weird crap in your head, I know, but I just sort of wonder if it's all flip sides of the same coin, if you know what I mean.

i understand. i kind of think that one on one therapy would actually help some of my sxs, but alas, the county mental health system doesnt have one on one therapy. im in a CBT group, which meets once a week, and we are just on our 2nd week. I wish I had a therapist to do CBT with and meet maybe twice a week, as i know that'll help. I was just on the crazymeds site and one poster said that olanzapine (my beloved Z) could be used for the ocd sxs, so i guess i and pdoc are on the right track.

you have to get ued to my impatience re: my MI. sometimes i visualize waking up and feeling "better". that's a part of my personality i would love to get rid off!

Tryp,

I am BP1,mostly under control,

I still have OCD issues when

stressed or anxious,

before any treatment at all,

I would go from one sink

to the other and wash my hands,

like 50 times a day.

cleanest door knobs in town.

I counted my steps,in 4s.

I washed the dishes mostly,

in water so hot,gloves were

no protection,

my fingers would split,

at the tips,I Crazy-glued them shut

and motored on.

Lexapro nearly stopped the worse,

but triggered mania,yippee,

The current regime still helps the OCD,

but at the price of a clear mind.

Do what you gotta do,Stasis

I have BP II and ocd. It sucks. I have to be careful with the AD's. but right now I am trying Luvox CR. It seems to be working so far. I have tried some CBT but nothing major. Sorry you can't have one on one therapy. I hope it works out for you. I do take Abilify also . It seems to help.

i understand. i kind of think that one on one therapy would actually help some of my sxs, but alas, the county mental health system doesnt have one on one therapy. im in a CBT group, which meets once a week, and we are just on our 2nd week. I wish I had a therapist to do CBT with and meet maybe twice a week, as i know that'll help. I was just on the crazymeds site and one poster said that olanzapine (my beloved Z) could be used for the ocd sxs, so i guess i and pdoc are on the right track.

you have to get ued to my impatience re: my MI. sometimes i visualize waking up and feeling "better". that's a part of my personality i would love to get rid off!

I think everyone wants to wake up and feel better ;) It's totally natural to feel impatient. It's always easier to tell other people what to do than it is to take your own medicine (I've been known to be impatient myself), so don't think I was criticizing you in any way :)

It's too bad you can't get one-on-one, but I'll be interested to know how your CBT group goes.

I have OCD type things going on that generally worsen when I'm in a mood episode. I have a lot of pure-obsessional type things as well as a few compulsions.

Me too. I always have obsessions and compulsions, but it b/cs much worse during an episode.

As far as what helps? I'm not sure, to be honest. I think its a combo of:

1. having BPII and GAD "under control" (ha!)

2. paxil and klonopin

3. possibly lamictal

Peace,

Phoenix

I am BP and OCD. Seroquel made my OCD so much worse although the mood was the best it ever was! Darn it all! I have switched to Lamictal and Zoloft and still take topiramate (for migraines) and amitriptyline (for fibro). The OCD was getting better until I cut my hair due to the cold weather, hat head etc (Hair pulling is part of my OCD) and since cutting it that aspect of it has been worse again), but the other OCD behaviours are a bit better (e.g. pure obsessions, mantras, counting, ordering and silly little rituals and irrational fears and beliefs). Just a warning, zoloft will create a bit of hypo (although nothing like ssris for me) and vivid dreams - needed to increase the lamictal and make sure to take the zoloft in the morning.

Archived