CrazyBoards.org

Just started Ritalin

Maceo

I've just started taking Ritalin and when I saw my doctor she said there shouldn't be any negative effects after it wears off. She said my concentration would just go bad which does happen but I think my mood and energy does really drop as well. It's kinda like the caffeine-crash. It's hard to tell what is my normal mood-swing and energy depletion but I think I feel even worse than I normally do after work right now. Do you guys experience that with ADHD meds?

Yeah, it can happen. Rebound is the word for it. Are you on regular Ritalin or a sustained release formulation?

I want to take stims and do well in school but I'm already depressed. I don't think I can cope with this "rebound" effect every afternoon/evening. I feel...dead when the Ritalin wears off and I've only taken it for 3 days.

I had the same issue. Solved it by taking a lower dose (5 mg.) every two hours. It's kind of a pain to remember to take stuff four times a day, (really 5-6 times a day including other meds.) so I set up google calendar to send me a text when it's med time.

That works for me as far as the bumpy up and down feeling, but when it wears off around 4:00 I still get a little sleepy and lowered mood for a half hour or so. Sustained release might be a better option, but immediate release is a lot cheaper.

• 1 month later...

I want to take stims and do well in school but I'm already depressed. I don't think I can cope with this "rebound" effect every afternoon/evening. I feel...dead when the Ritalin wears off and I've only taken it for 3 days.

are you taking anything for depression? i've heard wellbutrin can be effective for recovering meth addicts.

Archived