CrazyBoards.org

Lexapro vs Effexor XR

I just got a letter from my insurance saying that, as of 1/1, Lexapro is no longer a preferred med and will cost me a fortune if I choose to continue taking it. They're suggesting Effexor XR as a sub. When I took regular Effexor previously, it made me really manic, but also I was using it as monotherapy (I still hadn't been diagnosed as BP at that point).

Any other beepers out there had experience with Effexor XR? Or is there another antidepressant that might be a more suitable substitute for someone prone to mania? Thanks in advance for your help.

That's so wierd, and wierder still that they're recomending Effexor, an ssnri, to replace Lexapro, an ssri. I'd think almost any SSRI would be a better choice than Effexor, esp. since it's made you manic in the past. What about Celexa, Lexapro's predecessor?

That's so wierd, and wierder still that they're recomending Effexor, an ssnri, to replace Lexapro, an ssri. I'd think almost any SSRI would be a better choice than Effexor, esp. since it's made you manic in the past. What about Celexa, Lexapro's predecessor?

Yes, I'd suggest Celexa too. I'm on it now at 20 mg. I use it with Zyprexa. I know you can get the generic citalopram (sp?) at Walmart for $4 for a 30 day supply and $10 for a 90 day supply.

Archived