CrazyBoards.org

i know that once you get past a midrange dose or so, you can't quit taking an AC cold-turkey, unless you think seizures are a really fun time. but does 'quit cold-turkey' translate to 'missing one dose'? because of my schedule, or lack thereof, i often find myself taking my tegretol late, or missing a dose. if i go more than an hour or so past when i should've taken a dose, though, i start getting auras like whoa, plus nausea, shakes, wicked migranes, and just generally begin to feel like shit. i don't think pharmacologically that carbemazapime has an immediate effect on seizures, though, does it? it's more a constant-blood-level deal. is it really that sensitive?

of course, inevitably, fortyfive minutes after i take every dose i start twitching like a goddamn maniac, so.  who knows.

also, are the blood tests that go along with tegretol to check theraputic blood levels of the tegretol, or to make sure that the shit hasn't eaten your blood? i haven't had any tests yet. since i'm guessing i'll know if it eats my blood, and since public transit does not run past the damn stupid test facility, i'm figuring on just giving it a miss unless it's vital.

i know that once you get past a midrange dose or so, you can't quit taking an AC cold-turkey, unless you think seizures are a really fun time. but does 'quit cold-turkey' translate to 'missing one dose'? because of my schedule, or lack thereof, i often find myself taking my tegretol late, or missing a dose. if i go more than an hour or so past when i should've taken a dose, though, i start getting auras like whoa, plus nausea, shakes, wicked migranes, and just generally begin to feel like shit. is it really that sensitive?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know what your issue is... but if I miss my topamax by more than a  few hours I start to get a little bit of fun house vision,  or  the head aura or just noticeable  unexplained 'weirdness'. 

I do feel when I am late on all my meds, though.

If I skip the topamax entirely, the aura is, in fact,  'like whoa'.

I am supposedly a pretty fast metabolizer, though I don't know if i can metabolize that fast.

I would REALLY recommend getting one of those little keychain pill-holders, and taking them at work. Carry a bottle of water with you, or just go to the bathroom.  If you are getting auras, it is baaad.

Is this a good thing for you if it makes you twitch all over the place whenever you take it?

~navy~

i don't -mean- to skip doses, i should clarify. my sense of time is just bad. i do have a pill keychain, and i've taken even to carrying a dose in my pocket in case i can't find my keys, which is most of the time. in a way, i guess it's helpful: i'd never realise i was missing doses if i didn't feel it.

it's weird. the way i feel if i miss a dose of tegretol is much worse than i'd usually feel before i ever took the fucking tegretol. and the twitching sucks. i haven't had as many Big Fucking Incidents since i started it, though, so i guess it's a tradeoff. i'm glad to hear it's possible to feel wonky after just taking a dose late, though. i feel like less of a spaz.

I not only carry doses, but I wear a watch with an alarm for my next dose.  It's not a BP drug, but when the alarm goes off it reminds me.  Of course I have to remember to wear the watch, but oh well, I do what I can.

My meds are morning and evening, and if I'm away from home I carry the meds on my person and use the watch as a reminder.  Saves my ass, personally.

Archived