CrazyBoards.org

Lamictal - can it really be working already?

I've been on 25 mg of Lamictal for 2 weeks now --- and holy shit, I'm starting to feel BETTER! I have very rapid cycling, and the depression had been getting worse and worse.

This is now the fourth day in a row that I've felt normal/good. And that is a VERY long time, given my cycling. I can't believe it.

My energy is still cycling a bit (swinging from exhausted to wired for no reason), but my mood has actually been stable and GOOD.

I'd thought Lamictal was supposed to take a lot longer to work. Is this even possible? Is the med really helping already?

I'm titrating lamotrigine at the moment (lamictal by any other name, I think) and have only gone up to the 50mg dosage this week. However, I feel no difference yet and those who have been reading and commenting on my blog (bless them all) know how bad I've been feeling.

If you're feeling an effect from it already, lucky you I say, and long may it continue. Some people are really lucky and find something that works for them and hey presto. Others take a little longer...oh ok, a lot longer!

I felt the side effects on the first day (mostly muscle pain). I felt pretty strong antidepressant effects on the second day at 25mg, and people started to notice and comment on the third day. I think I just react extremely well to it, and I don't think that's common. I was going on 11 months of being depressed when I started, so I was really thankful.

I did feel tired for about a week after each titration jump beyond 25mg.

i have thought i felt a difference (and i probably was) in my energy level and moods...only to then feel like total shit. depresed. completely agitated and tired most of the time...lately, its the latter...total and complete shit. i go up (is this what titrating means?!) to 50 mg on wednesday night. i'm freaked out about it...paranoid my son or i will get the infamous rash...i want this to work so badly...so far it isn't looking good to me but i'll give it a shot. each day is different though...of course, with the moods' many 'faces' throughout the day... i'm glad its working for you too so far, fuschia.

Thank you all for your input.

Argh, those few "normal" days were just a tease. They deteriorated into hypomania, and then I plunged right back into the usual rapid cycling and mixed states. Interesting what some of you have written about ups & downs while titrating, though. I started feeling like crap again right before I was due to bump up to 50 mg.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input.

Argh, those few "normal" days were just a tease. They deteriorated into hypomania, and then I plunged right back into the usual rapid cycling and mixed states. Interesting what some of you have written about ups & downs while titrating, though. I started feeling like crap again right before I was due to bump up to 50 mg.

Hi,

I just started Lamictal 50mg 5 days ago. I feel okay. A LOT more Patients then i had. I will be going up to 100MG in about a week. Not sure but my doctor wanted to hurry and get me up to 100mg.

I am also on Celexa at 20MG.. i feel pretty good. My family noticed that i am not having mood swings i guess thats good! LOL

Are you on anything other than Lamictal?

I'm still titrating up the Lamictal but we're due to go to 100mg tomorrow. I'm feeling loads better, but I'm not sure if that's the lamictal or the prozac (or a combination of both) but I feel like a human being again, and I can't tell you how much of a relief that is.

The digestive upsets I got from lithium and depakote just weren't worth it, but the lamictal isn't having any unhappy side effects like that for me, so that's a relief. I'm just a bit itchy...I'm doing to discuss it with my pdoc tomorrow and if he's not too happy with the itching, then maybe I'll stay at the 75mg dose for another couple of weeks just to give my body time to adjust. I don't want to screw things up by titrating up too fast...

I'm still titrating up the Lamictal but we're due to go to 100mg tomorrow. I'm feeling loads better, but I'm not sure if that's the lamictal or the prozac (or a combination of both) but I feel like a human being again, and I can't tell you how much of a relief that is.

The digestive upsets I got from lithium and depakote just weren't worth it, but the lamictal isn't having any unhappy side effects like that for me, so that's a relief. I'm just a bit itchy...I'm doing to discuss it with my pdoc tomorrow and if he's not too happy with the itching, then maybe I'll stay at the 75mg dose for another couple of weeks just to give my body time to adjust. I don't want to screw things up by titrating up too fast...

How funny! i have felt itchy too? but i thought i was just itchy? because i didn't see that as a side effect for the Lamictal?

I am just really nervous with the whole "Need to take a blood text before i started and after 3 months" im like great? is this gonna BUST up my liver? so i am so scared to drink on it???? What if i want a glass of wine? or a beer?

I am giving this pill a few weeks b4 i even have a beer or glass of wine just so everything settles in.

I feel really good too! i haven't cried since i have been on it! yea im a freak who cries a lot!

Ooops, well I've been drinking. Not to excess obviously, but the odd glass of wine...

And nobody said anything to me about blood tests while on lamictal! Does this mean I should be having them and I should be picking my pdoc up on the fact that he didn't mention it? :)

Itching was one of the main side effects of lamictal that I was told about. Then of course, there's "THE Rash"...but it's very uncommon, apparently. As I have often had problems with itching lower legs in the past, it's hard to tell if this is just another bout of that coming on, or if it's the lamictal...life's always so bloody complicated, isn't it? ;)

And nobody said anything to me about blood tests while on lamictal! Does this mean I should be having them and I should be picking my pdoc up on the fact that he didn't mention it? ;)

Littlewing, I wouldn't worry. I guess that it is really at the discretion of the doctor. I have been on Lamictal for a LONG time and I have never had a blood test because of it. I haven't died... yet... heh.

But talk to your doctor if you are concerned. There is no harm in asking.

Ooops, well I've been drinking. Not to excess obviously, but the odd glass of wine...

And nobody said anything to me about blood tests while on lamictal! Does this mean I should be having them and I should be picking my pdoc up on the fact that he didn't mention it? :)

Itching was one of the main side effects of lamictal that I was told about. Then of course, there's "THE Rash"...but it's very uncommon, apparently. As I have often had problems with itching lower legs in the past, it's hard to tell if this is just another bout of that coming on, or if it's the lamictal...life's always so bloody complicated, isn't it? ;)

Yes, they gave me the blood test the day before i started it, then said i will have to come back in a few months to get it checked again?

Also, look on your paper you got from your pharmacy.. it says "blood test MAY be done to check on liver function or to check...." Mine got cut off! hahaha the list of side effects where to long!

Well, i have been itchy a lot, my head and wrists especially! OY!

Yes.. life can never ever be simple! :)

Ok...I promise not to freak then! But I will probably ask my Pdoc about it as I'm seeing him tomorrow anyhow.

Thanks Susan.

My Pdoctor is a total HYPO! thats prob why he is doing the tests. Please, that man has tried so many things to freak me out. Im sure it is him....he is a wacko.. yet i still go to him? So who is the wacko? yea that would be me! ;)

Im titrating up on lamictal at the moment (starting at 6.25 mg, and moving up by 1/8ths of a tablet!!) so Im hopeful that I'll feel some effect once I get up a bit higher. Fingers crossed, I'm tired of the depression and it'd be nice to find something that actually helped it.

Blood tests for lamictal arent required here in Aus, either. Which is fortunate, because Im the most needle-phobic person to ever walk the planet!

I haven't heard of blood tests being required for Lamictal anywhere and they're rarely even suggested, and as far as I can tell, they're pretty unusual but not unheard of. I don't know if there's even a recommended serum level for it. Last time someone asked about it, I don't remember anyone being able to come up with much of a specific answer for it.

Archived