CrazyBoards.org

Clonidine (AKA Catapres) for Ritalin S/E's

I've had problems sleeping for 5 years but since I started taking Ritalin this week it's been worse. My friend suggested Clonidine/Catapres as that's what he took with Ritalin to help him sleep and he said it worked well. It sounds good to me even if I wasn't on Ritalin I'd be willing to try it because of my insomnia. I also read that Clonidine boosts the efficacy of Ritalin in treating ADD symptoms. Is that true?

Has anyone taken it? Would it be a good idea for me to ask for it? Does it leave you drowsy the next day? What are some of the issues with taking it?

• 1 month later...

Is it the Ritalin keeping you up, or the Ritalin wearing off? Sometimes a small fraction of your normal dose can help you get to sleep. If you find that at bedtime your mind is racing (especially if it's racing around in circles ;-) ) this may be what's going on. A lot of times there's a rebound effect when Ritalin wears off. I haven't taken it enough to really be familiar with it, but I"ve had the rebound.

Can't tell you anything about that other stuff.

Ritalin wrecking your sleep during the first week? OF COURSE. Thats a reasonable expectation. ;)

Ok, checking on Catapres/clonidine, it is an angiotensin agonist that lowers blood pressure. It has developed a number of off label uses, two of which are use for ADHD-Hyperactive type, to slow kids/adulst down. It is also used with the stimulants like Ritalin and Dexedrine as a sleep aid, and occasionally to take the sharp edge off them.

Catapres has NO mental focusing properties for ADD, from what I can find.

Catapres can interefere with a number of psych meds, especially with TCA's, and can intrefere with some other cardiac drugs including beta blockers and some pacing meds.

a.m.

• 5 months later...

Hmm... sounds like no one has much experience with this. That's odd, since I've found many references on line. I've been given a prescription for it. So far I can't decide if it's working or not. I still wake up a half hour after going to sleep and stay up for a bit, but then when I go back to sleep I do better for a few hours. I don't know if this is due to the clonidine or not. Didn't do a thing for sleeping that first night, although my mind was racing in a more relaxed manner than usual, if that makes any sense!

I've definitely found some abstracts that mention clonidine helping with ADD. For instance, I read that it helps with people who tend to be overfocused or anxious when they're taking stimulants. And I seem to recall it's supposed to help with hyperactivity, though that memory is shakier.

So far, I don't notice any side effects except an odd sensation that first night. Although the other day I went bike riding much earlier than usual and had much more trouble climbing hills than usual. It's said to lower heart rate. But there could be other explanations. I went out today and was only a little bit slower on hills than usual, or maybe it's just that my occasional riding companion is getting faster, which seems quite possible with all that miles he's putting in.

Anyway, does anyone have any experiences to report with clonidine for sleep? Preferably for sleep problems relating to ADD, but don't develop ADD just for me. It's not worth it.

Thanks,

LDO

Ritalin wrecking your sleep during the first week? OF COURSE. Thats a reasonable expectation. ;)

Ok, checking on Catapres/clonidine, it is an angiotensin agonist that lowers blood pressure. It has developed a number of off label uses, two of which are use for ADHD-Hyperactive type, to slow kids/adulst down. It is also used with the stimulants like Ritalin and Dexedrine as a sleep aid, and occasionally to take the sharp edge off them.

Catapres has NO mental focusing properties for ADD, from what I can find.

Catapres can interefere with a number of psych meds, especially with TCA's, and can intrefere with some other cardiac drugs including beta blockers and some pacing meds.

a.m.

• 4 months later...

I've had problems sleeping for 5 years but since I started taking Ritalin this week it's been worse. My friend suggested Clonidine/Catapres as that's what he took with Ritalin to help him sleep and he said it worked well. It sounds good to me even if I wasn't on Ritalin I'd be willing to try it because of my insomnia. I also read that Clonidine boosts the efficacy of Ritalin in treating ADD symptoms. Is that true?

Has anyone taken it? Would it be a good idea for me to ask for it? Does it leave you drowsy the next day? What are some of the issues with taking it?

i think you should ask for it . my brother takes it to sleep and he is on ritalin. he also had sleeping troubles before ritalin and it made it worse. he is fine the next day. i think its an alright drug and it does numb your feeling or who you are very much at all. you could google the drug if you want info thats not from a doctor.

Clonadine is used to treat the hyperactivity part of ADHD. It's not really for racing thoughts, or for sleep, although some people do report it makes them sleepy.

If you do decide to take it, be sure not to miss doses, as it impacts blood pressure. There have been a few case reports of kids who are simultaneously on ritalin and clonadine dropping dead due to the BP switches brought on by strange dosing patterns, since the ritalin raises BP and the clonadine lowers it.

It's not common, but apparently it can happen. So, make sure if you do take it, you stay on schedule.

I don't know that it is going to help you that much, and you may need a different sleep aid. I don't think it's going to somehow increase the efficacy of ritalin or anything like that.....

Anna

Archived